A last resort...

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

sasha

-sama
Retired
Okay guys, let's admit it, this site rocks. It's probably one of the few anime sites out there that host decent anime, in the original AVI format, for free. I love it a lot, and just like a few/a lot of people out there, I am also having trouble downloading. Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ is one of my favourite anime, and I couldn't wait to download the next episode. Besides, I had to do it before the show was licenced, or before the torrent was dead, or before the IRC channel ran out of... "FServs".

I authorized episode 11 from Silk, went to my download manager and pressed Start. After ten minutes, the download died. It refused to turn on and start again, and kept saying the file size had been changed. So, I went to get another authorization, and it worked for about a minute, and then the same thing happened for the second time.

Now, you're probably thinking "it's your download manager". Well, being right or wrong, I went and got GetRight. Another authorization later, the download worked for 0:08:24, and stopped. It said the file had been moved or was incorrectly spelt. I waited a few minutes, got a fourth authorization and it STILL wouldn't start. Hoping I hadn't been banned, I went in search of another download manager.

This time I tried ReGet. I'm wasn't quite sure of the point, since all download managers would work the same way, but I tried nevertheless. I forgot to get an authorization the first time, so it obviously didn't work, but then the whole program decided to crash so I gave up. I really had had enough. I don't hate the site, I don't hate the webmaster... I was just, annoyed.

Then I found LimeWire. Yes, the P2P File Sharing Program. It was a last resort. So, I downloaded the program (actually I got the Pro version off a warez site... But that's classified info
tongue.gif
), searched Mahoraba and woah... I found it! That was lucky. Double-click to download. Estimated time remaining... Thirty-four minutes.

Thirty-four minutes? Yeah, as if. No, seriously. I downloaded Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ episode 11 in just over thirty-four minutes. It's true. By the way - I had my upload slots set to 0 at the time, which meant no-one could upload from me, and I had my download slots set to unlimited. I have never been so happy about P2P.

Being the niece of the CEO of Sharman Networks, I have grown up with Kazaa, the biggest P2P Program on the web, with 75% junky files in it. I think 1 out of every 10 files I downloaded I actually kept, since the rest were so sloppy or screwed up. Once I knew Kazaa, I knew P2P, so I never really trusted any other programs, thinking they're all the same. I was so wrong. LimeWire is fast, decent, and reliable - I haven't been happier with a download agent. And I'm saving money by conserving bandwidth!

I've been experiencing the same thing, and I thought all the -donos and -samas had no problem getting any files. Either no files finish download, or many days of 403 if I try flashget (properly configured to the best of my knowledge) and sadly...we can't use P2P or even BT on our network *sighs*

The thing is if your on a fast company/college/uni line why do you even bother with flashget :/ If you at home use the reliable BT
dry.gif

Daft has said, I think, that the site was made with IE in mind. In the early days of the site there were calls for "supporting the resuming downloads" since they tended to die on you all of a sudden.
Even then flashget for me was getting a crap speed of 15-20kb/s and disconnecting so I took the risk of the file dying before it finished in order to get it in good time with IE.

QUOTE I had my upload slots set to 0 at the time, which meant no-one could upload from me, and I had my download slots set to unlimited. I have never been so happy about P2P. And I'm saving money by conserving bandwidth!

Promoting the ability to leech is a bad thing for p2p
dry.gif

Indeed I'm on a fast uni line (60KB/sec max). However, with an average download speed of 5KB/sec from silk and sora, and more importantly constant premature completion of download (you get less than 100KBs sometimes), I had no other choice but to resort to a download manager. Otherwise, I would have simply downloaded with IE, like I always used to when fansub had a good speed. At the moment I've been downloading Peach Girl ep13 (using IE) at 3-4KB/sec with 6 more hours to go *keeps fingers crossed* In case you're wondering, the other animes that are *cough cough* more suited to guys that are on silk either finish prematurely or require passwords
huh.gif
And sora has a 1KB/sec d/l speed...getting stuck very often before getting another few KBs (that's how things are like today anyway)...so I won't even try for now. And other suggestions to counter these problems? I'd be happy to hear them
biggrin.gif

hmm, how do ppl get these problems...
well how many files have you downloaded from fansub, your uni may be trying to stop you hauling gigs of information through there lines. but somethings definatly up if you can only dl from sora at 1/kb, cos i get easily over 200k dleds.
you can get p2p(aka sashas last resort) to work at uni, but u'll need another computer (ie your home pc) and open a port between the two, if you do it on like port 443 then your unis firewall will thinks its just secure http, and allow it to bypass the firewall restrictions. bad point is you'll be downloading at the speed of your home computer. Its not quite as simple as that but pm me and i'll explain it properly if u wana know.
if downloads are asking for a password hit 'F3' and it'll refresh allowing you to download with a renewed authorisation (if it asks for password all the time, turn your cookie security down to medium)

well im out of helpfull advice (or not so helpfull advice)...

Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ - good choice of anime sasha
biggrin.gif

aaa... i download using IE and never failed halfway.. for ur info.. i also in university network.. and my download speed on sora is 80-100kb/sec and on silk 20-50kb/sec hhhmm.... if u always failed halfway maybe ur network is not stable
tongue.gif
sorry to say that.. IE is always a better choice
laugh.gif

Thanks for your opinions guys. In the end, I think it all comes down to luck. There are two servers on Fansub TV, and hundreds of users who download from them daily. Which means there has to be at least one other person who downloads the same file as you do, from the same server, on the same day, with the same operating system. Yet one person will complete the download, and the other will not. There are no right or wrong answers - perhaps it is the servers, perhaps it is the computers, perhaps it is both. Or perhaps it is no one. Unfortunately, for me, I am one of the unlucky ones. But, as you can clearly see, there are plenty of happy Fansub TV downloaders out there, who seem to be getting speedy downloads every time. Just remember - no matter how much you copy their techniques, whether it be their download managers, their operating systems, their media players... Whatever, that will not guarrantee you get the same results as they do. I find LimeWire a solution, but that does not mean it is "the" solution.

QUOTE Mahoraba ~Heartful Days~ - good choice of anime sasha

Yeah - Love that show!!!
happy.gif

After 14 hours of download, Peach Girl ep 13 got stuck, the whole file was there, with 1 sec to go...I think I'll give up on fansub till I move out of this hall...some of us from the same network are experiencing the same problems, some could get whole files with a bit of struggle...I used to be able to get files at good speed w/o problems...but now, haiz...I just hope those files are kept in silk long enough so I can get them when I move out.

Thanks ultima for the offer but I'm afraid I don't have another computer just for that purpose.

QUOTE (lewisinleeds @ May 8 2005, 04:23 PM) I used to be able to get files at good speed w/o problems...but now, haiz...I just hope those files are kept in silk long enough so I can get them when I move out.

I could upload any Peach Girl ep from 1-10 to yousendit.com, if you need the later ones you'll need to wait still I grab them myself
ph34r.gif
BTW I wouldn't say 60kb/s is fast for a uni line :/

I have stopped dowloading from here as even though i download with only 1 connection and 60 sec retries almost all the time i the have to wait to get unbanned and by this wait is over, most seeds for the anime is gone
so i i put the bt to dl and leave it for some days
it's a sure way
for those who can't use bt
mirc is the solution
the thing that gets us banned is the authorization which needs to be refresh at unknown time intervals
have fun dling

I don't really download here either because I can never get my download started. I find it faster to just get it from IRC since I had the connection to do so, and leaves more bandwidth for those who do need it.

Coolio and lilpanda share the same sentiments I do... I have the connection and the ability to use IRC or Bittorrent, so I do. However, unlike many of the rest of you, when I do download from the site, I have absolutely no problems, running Safari or Firefox, with no download managers or anything... That said, I prefer Poisoned to Limewire, but hey, I really have no need for the application as it is.

~ SP

I'm glad you all have your own opinions. But hey - if it works for you, it works for you. My friend can't even use YouSendIt :S

hmm i think silk has problems
dry.gif
. I can dl easily on sora though
sad.gif
Maybe the admins here try balancing the popular anime in each server. Just my 2 cents
happy.gif

QUOTE (teo @ May 9 2005, 11:31 AM) hmm i think silk has problems
dry.gif
. I can dl easily on sora though
sad.gif
Maybe the admins here try balancing the popular anime in each server. Just my 2 cents
happy.gif
1/Silk works.
2/Sora hasn't got the space to do that.

QUOTE I could upload any Peach Girl ep from 1-10 to yousendit.com, if you need the later ones you'll need to wait still I grab them myself BTW I wouldn't say 60kb/s is fast for a uni line :/

Thanks for the offer coolio, but what I really want are speed grapher, blood trinity, ichigo 100%, tsubasa chronicles etc etc etc.
biggrin.gif
And I have all the episodes of Peach Girl up to 12.

Though, I'll try to get them after I move out of this...hall. And if I have any trouble then I'll take you up on your offer
laugh.gif
And 60KB/s is the maximum speed they allow each student, can't go any faster than that, but I'm happy to get one episode in about 2-4 hours with that speed. And with some friends also getting other episodes, we exchange files to lighten the servers load, heh.

yeah.. sharing if caring.. we(my uni's anime fan) always notify each other if we have wat anime and wat episode so that server can serve other ppl.. and LAN trasfer rate very fast too
tongue.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back