Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Apr 22 2012, 11:27 PM) I really like how Korra being the Avatar isn't just all powerful and can take out every single enemy she encounters and the same can be said about the brothers.

I actually think she is weaker than Aang. I think the main power of the Avatar comes from having access to the spirit world and also being able to tap in to the past experiences of the avatar. Like all good capitalist cities, in Republic City spirituality has naturally died and I think Amon is playing on that. So until Korra masters the spiritual side to bending she is not going to be much help.

QUOTE but the girls were funny this episode especially when they were giving Korra the business about possibly liking the stubborn brother. Korra earth-bended on them so quick I had to do a double take -- too funny.

This was honestly my favourite part of the show. I just think the airbending kids are the show stealer.

Another fantastic episode. I usually champion strong pacing in serialisations more than anything else but if I had to critique this episode it would be that the pace was a little too fast.

Saying that, the writers can pretty much get away with anything because all the characters feel so authentic and real. I really love Ikki just screwfacing Tarrlock (?) at dinner. Never trust a man that smells like a girl. Just saying.

I was genuinely terrified for Korra when the equalist jumped her. The scene where she was frantically shooting off firebending just to catch glimpses of the equalists closing in reminded me of the horror film 'The Descent.' I wonder if the producers watch it. Anyway, if that doesnt give you the heebies jeebies I dont know what will.

And then there was the flashback that made this episode golden. Middle-aged Aang looked the definition of badass. The scene of him flying straight towards the camera was definitely lifted straight from DBZ and gave me schoolboy shivers. If Katara was worried she made the wrong choice between Zuko and Aang, she should now fist pump Toph.

Im very, very excited to see Korra meet Aang. It is coming. I wonder if Aang is going to do a spirit takeover like Roku did to Aang.

Edit: One more thing, given how brutal the taskforce was, from the initial inception of the plot premise, I cant help but think during the first four episodes, that there is more than an element of truth to the bending oppression going on. It is definitely a more nuanced story than good vs evil.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Apr 28 2012, 01:55 PM) And then there was the flashback that made this episode golden. Middle-aged Aang looked the definition of badass. The scene of him flying straight towards the camera was definitely lifted straight from DBZ and gave me schoolboy shivers. If Katara was worried she made the wrong choice between Zuko and Aang, she should now fist pump Toph.

Im very, very excited to see Korra meet Aang. It is coming. I wonder if Aang is going to do a spirit takeover like Roku did to Aang.

Edit: One more thing, given how brutal the taskforce was, from the initial inception of the plot premise, I cant help but think during the first four episodes, that there is more than an element of truth to the bending oppression going on. It is definitely a more nuanced story than good vs evil.
Initially that caught me off guard because the vision scene with him happened so suddenly. To see Aang as a grown-up and not just a little kid was pretty cool. I have to admit I had to reply in my head that in season one the reason why he was over a hundred years old and still had that young appearance was because he was frozen in that ice for so long. It got me thinking it would be nice to see some kind of Avatar movie where he's in that older form.

I also concur with you on the whole Equalist Movement. To just paint Amon and the others as villains seems way too premature and off base. I would suspect that there are definitely shades of grey that we aren't privy to just yet that might make us more sympathetic to the Equalist plight.

I really liked how the writers showed Korra's vulnerabilities this episode. She experiences fear and can be manipulated just as easily as anybody else. They're doing a great job portraying her as powerful yet inexperienced and in need of much growth. The ending scene where Amon spares her even though she foolishly tried to confront him in an "honorable one-on-one" battle was intriguing. It raised the question why not just take out one of your biggest adversaries when given the opportunity? To save the best for last? Whether it be confidence, cockiness, or a master plan at work I find him to be one really interesting character.

I have watched a few episodes here and there of the original Avatar series, this series has been recommended to me by my ex-girlfirend, loads of friends and 2 of my first cousins (who I'm very close to)....all of them watch anime. However, I just kinda stayed away from it, I know its good but when it was originally airing, I was very ignorant and annoyed by ppl calling it anime, hence, I never really watched it but now I really do want to watch this series, its about 40 episodes or so and with this new series, I'm really considering putting the effort to watching this series.

Its been highly recommended to me by them and I actually want to watch it. I did watch the live-action movie, which was weird to say the least and it must have made many Avatar fans cringe about it.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 30 2012, 05:44 PM) I have watched a few episodes here and there of the original Avatar series, this series has been recommended to me by my ex-girlfirend, loads of friends and 2 of my first cousins (who I'm very close to)....all of them watch anime. However, I just kinda stayed away from it, I know its good but when it was originally airing, I was very ignorant and annoyed by ppl calling it anime, hence, I never really watched it but now I really do want to watch this series, its about 40 episodes or so and with this new series, I'm really considering putting the effort to watching this series.

Its been highly recommended to me by them and I actually want to watch it. I did watch the live-action movie, which was weird to say the least and it must have made many Avatar fans cringe about it.
That movie is sooooooooo bad. I lost count of how many times they felt like they had to tell the audience about Zhao's trip to the library. And it was so awkward to have Zuko pull some random kid aside so the kid could recite Zuko's backstory to the audience. That movie is just so full of fail.

You should definitely put in the effort JCD. The first series is about 60 episodes, split into 20 episode seasons roughly.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Apr 30 2012, 04:44 PM)I was very ignorant and annoyed by ppl calling it anime, hence, I never really watched it but now I really do want to watch this series, its about 40 episodes or so and with this new series, I'm really considering putting the effort to watching this series.

It has been said that ignorance is bliss but not in this case Captain. Go ahead and put in the effort like Barbo of the Flaming Red has also suggested and I can vouch for that bonus credibility that should put it over the top. When it is all said and done you will be another in the long list of Avatar converts; it's almost like a religious experience. *Bows head & recites a prayer* So it has been written; so it shall be done. In the name of the Father and the Son... Err wait I don't wanna border on blasphemy here or anything like that. I'll just back track and say that it's an excellent show and just leave it at that, okay
wink.gif

I didn't bother commenting on the movie before but just to have my thoughts on record. It was bad... really bad... Shyamalan seemed completely out of his element trying to make a fantasy-adventure film.

QUOTE (senpai-kun @ Apr 30 2012, 12:34 PM) The ending scene where Amon spares her even though she foolishly tried to confront him in an "honorable one-on-one" battle was intriguing. It raised the question why not just take out one of your biggest adversaries when given the opportunity? To save the best for last? Whether it be confidence, cockiness, or a master plan at work I find him to be one really interesting character.
Amon is a very different opponent to the firelord. The writers have juxtapositioned it well.

Aang had mastered spirituality at an early age but lacked the physicality/brute strength to take down the tyrant Ozai.

Korra has the physicality but lacks the spiritual maturity to solve the deep rooted issues. The infiltration of the chi blocker camp was a very good scene. On the one hand, it showed how skillfull Korra is (freezing gas in mid air), on the other hand it shows her complete ineptitude to grasp the bigger problem and just like Tenzin said it played straight into Amon's hand.

Amon needs Korra because he can use her as the apex symbol of bending oppression and grow his army. She is no use to him dead/powerless.

This is a battle for the hearts and minds of the people. Aang already had the mandate of the people because 3 nations were being oppressed and it was easy to see who the enemy was. Unfortunately for Korra, this is a political game and it is not going to be resolved by brute strength (robust strength is likely to be detrimental) but rather conciliation.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ May 01 2012, 03:59 AM) That movie is sooooooooo bad. I lost count of how many times they felt like they had to tell the audience about Zhao's trip to the library. And it was so awkward to have Zuko pull some random kid aside so the kid could recite Zuko's backstory to the audience. That movie is just so full of fail.

You should definitely put in the effort JCD. The first series is about 60 episodes, split into 20 episode seasons roughly.
Barbo and Senpai, thanks for that, your words have cleared my head and reinforce my resolve. Therefore, by the end of Summer, I will have finished Avatar and started on the new series. Hopefully, the same could be said for X-Files, I did a marathon a couple of months ago of where I watched all of seasons 1 and 2 but that was because the DVDs for those seasons where in the library. I haven't watched it since March and I intend to watch season 3 to 9 during the summer where I have time. I've got very very very important Final exams btw 17th May to 11th June.
wink.gif

The latest episode was very satisfying. Im glad Tenzin was finally able to show off his fighting prowess. It got very frustrating because I knew undoubtedly he was probably the most powerful which is why they were side lining him till now.

As always I just love the airbending kids and Meelo epic spin was awesome.

But the woman that has stolen my heart is Ling. Not because of her noble sacrifice in this episode. Ever since Tenzin mentioned that Aang and Ling got on famously, it struck me that keeping Republic city safe was an extension of her love and devotion to their legacy. I welled up a bit when Amon caught her. But it is great it when a show can make you care about characters like that.

As for the brief finale preview. I sooo hope they dont chicken out like they did with season 3 and have Amon take Korra bending away. As much as I hate the trope of protagonists losing their powers/ability, I feel narratively it would be what she deserves. As far as Im concerned she has been negligent in her training and it would be the only feasible way for her to inevitably overcome her identity crisis. I really love the difference between Aang and Korra. As much as Aang was a goofball by contrasting Korra personality, you get to see how wise Aang really was. Although, it is also refreshing to see how violent Korra is in comparison as well.

As for Dante Basco's return. Everytime I here his voice I cant help but think of Rufio from Hook and laugh.

Another disappointing finale for me. It is a shame because overall the finale was good. Just a few small but importance mistakes managed to unhinge the whole thing.

Firstly, Im glad they followed through and Amon took Korra's powers. I was annoyed a little that she miraculously gained airbending but I thought structurally it would work out better for a second season. When Aang showed up, I thought great and if they had ended it there I would have been happy. But Aang was used as a deus ex and everything he said was pretty disingenuous. When people suffer from an identity crisis/lack of a belief system it takes quite a while and real personal growth to get over it and become a better person for it. I think that it is a narrative that deserved more focus leading into the second season and we would have discovered who the real Korra was beyond her avatar identity.

The equalist thread was just as bad. The equalist had a legitimate grievance and whether Amon is their leader or not should not detract from the main point of their movement.

Other than that though, the world building, the characters, the action was all exceptional. Iroh flying about without Sozin comet was cool and Tenzin bro looks like a wild guy and a lot of fun.

Overall, I still feel S2 was the best, this one came very close. I will look forward to the next series.

Season 2, has been somewhat of a mixed bag. It says something when the best episodes are the ones that dont involve the protagonist.

There has been a backlash against Korra (no doubt some based on misogynistic views) but also the writers opened themselves to it with the ending of S1. As I mentioned last year, Korra really won/deserved nothing but yet gained everything. Her identity issues werent solved but covered up with a shallow victory and a deus ex Aang. I think this really matters because it is not like Korra character has changed since S1. She has always been brash, reckless and arrogant...it is just after the events of S1, these character traits become ever so more grating and harder to tolerate. It almost feels like regression when we see Korra cast aside Tenzin in favour of the obviously bad uncle Unalaq.

This brings me to the story of Wan. Instead of going into detail about the plot, in my humble opinion, I will say it is one of the most supreme examples of storytelling on tv I have seen this year. In the year of Spartacus and Breaking Bad, that really says something. In general, for me, prequels are always a bad idea. However, prequels can become exceptional when they give an extra dimension to things we take for granted. From now on, when I see the Avatar state invoked, I will always think of the connection between Wan and Raava...man and spirit. To look back at earlier episodes and see Korra using the the Avatar State to win a race against Tenzin's children is almost cringe inducing. I hope that going forward Korra realises this.

And so here is the pretentious bit, just as the hour of Wan was about the story of the first Avatar to bring balance to the world, it also seems to have brought balance to S2. Not only that but the scope of this world is so confident and adaptable. This may be some hyperbole but barring M. Sham, this universe could have potential for Star War levels of ascension and proliferation. I could be watching a particularly bad episode of LoK but then see a simple scene with a group of sky bisons playing in which my heart has no choice but to surrender. That to me, is the sign of a persistent created universe that is here to stay.
tumblr_mu7gibbQvB1rpfx57o1_500.gif
tumblr_mtx4b6otD91s0f7m0o1_400.gif

****Side Note****
Korean Animation Studio Mir usually animates Avatar but took a break from S2, only to return for Wan's special. The bump in quality and stylisation was definitely appreciated. In Mir's place, Studio Pierrot animated S2 which people have complained about being sub-par to Mir's work. In my mind, Studio Pierrot animated Bleach (correct me if im wrong) and out of long running shounens I always thought Bleach had some of the best/consistent animation. Funny how things work out.

So now that Book 2: Spirits is over, I'm ready for Book 3 to start. Too bad that probably won't be for another year. In the end I definitely liked this season of Korra more than the first season. The scale of the story made it more exciting. The first series was more the fight for Republic City, while being a major city in the world, is still really small relative to what was at stake this season. And even though a lot of people rag on Korra (the character), I still continue to be a big fan. She's grown a lot especially at the very end of this season. She'll never completely shed that brashness and leaping-before-you-look mentality of hers cause that's just kinda who she is, but hopefully after lifting off some of the burden from herself of trying to live up to the ideal image of the Avatar she grow into her own self.

I kinda wish they explained exactly what Genora did though at the end of last episode. We know that Raava wasn't dead, cause neither Vaatu nor Raava can completely die. Darkness can't exist without Light and vice versa.  But was Raava still inside the darkness of Vaatu?  Or was it Korra that retrieved what was left of Raava from the spirit world and brought it to Korra, and if so why did she have to pull Raava out of Vaatu?

This also brings the world of Avatar is a pretty different direction. With free travel between the spirit world and the physical world for both spirits and humans there's bound to be lots more conflict.  And with Korra losing connection with all past avatars, what does that mean for the future avatars?  Or will there be a way for Korra to regain those lost connections, possibly at the central spirit tree (can't remember it's name right now, Vaatu's prison)?

Bring on Book 3!

Also apparently Studio Mir animated more than just the Wan episode. They are split about half with Studio Mir doing episodes 7, 8, and 10-14.

The last four episode were great...I think. The fight between Korra and Vaatu was pretty epic...but halfway through I couldnt help but think Korra is a pretty bad avatar for letting things get to this point. Many of the things that happened in Aang's time was a consequent of Aang's reluctance to take action but when Aang wanted to strike he was able to settle conflict almost immediately. In contrast, Korra has always been ready to take action but does so incompetently and makes the situation worst. It is very frustrating to watch. In fairness, she didnt have a good teacher. Watching Tenzin resolve his identity issues I was unaware of, made me realise that no wonder Korra's immaturity has been allowed to persist in the face of an immature teacher.

When Korra was left powerless and she was able to resolve her identity...I felt vindicated in the sense that S1 was rushed. She should have been left powerless at the end of S1 and that way the brutal regression of her character at the start of S2 could have been avoided and her identity issues could have been solved more organically. Ultimately, because of how disjointed it has been I cant really believe that Korra has substantially resolved her identity issues. Emblematic of this for me is how Korra uses airbending. It has always made me die inside. When she was air blasting that wooden doll and Tenzin of all people was encouraging her to do this...I hate it so much. Everytime Aang used airbending in such a fashion...it was always implied to be a bad thing. Also since air is the most spiritual elements...I always concluded that is why it eluded her the most, and with spiritual maturity would lead her to use airbending as it was intended.

QUOTE With free travel between the spirit world and the physical world for both spirits and humans there's bound to be lots more conflict.  And with Korra losing connection with all past avatars, what does that mean for the future avatars?  Or will there be a way for Korra to regain those lost connections, possibly at the central spirit tree (can't remember it's name right now, Vaatu's prison)?

This for me is what ultimately made me decide I cant watch future Avatar episodes anymore. I understand why the writers did this. I cant help but compare Korra to Aang, so doing this is a clean break for them. But still, I personally love Avatar for the mythology and by doing this they have cut off that mythology. Sure they could still explore the past Avatar lives but now it will be impersonal, as there will be no interactions between the current and past avatars. And when Korra said we have to look forward by inferring we have to forget about the past, annoyed the hell out of me. She wouldnt have even known about Vaatu if it wasnt for Wan... she wouldnt even have her bending ability back if it wasnt for deus ex Aang. It is so disingenuous. Eitherway losing 10 thousand years of knowledge is never a good thing. Also it comes down to the fact that I dont trust Korra to be left to her own devices because she has been shown to be easily manipulated. If there are any new Avatars, their first point of reference will be Korra...the thought of it sends a chill down my spine because I think there is an argument to be made that she is the worst Avatar so far.

Unless S3 is about regaining that lost knowledge...I think I am done.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Nov 16 2013, 02:23 PM) And when Korra said we have to look forward by inferring we have to forget about the past, annoyed the hell out of me.
I didn't see it as Korra saying to ignore the past as it's irrelevant, but more referring to what she and Tenzin personally went through. In that you can't/shouldn't live by someone elses standards/ideals. You have to follow your own path in life and make your own choices.

QUOTE I didn't see it as Korra saying to ignore the past as it's irrelevant, but more referring to what she and Tenzin personally went through. In that you can't/shouldn't live by someone elses standards/ideals. You have to follow your own path in life and make your own choices.

Personally, I find very little value in what she says and does. She is the Avatar that lost 10k years of knowledge. The speech just sound like a cover for her own ineptitude because really they have no choice from now on. And does leaving the spirit portal really sound wise? Korra has proven to be a poor decision maker. The fact that she can now act independently with no past Avatars correcting her petulance and mistakes scare the hell out of me.

Just gonna leave this here for people to check out, though hopefully it's not just me and franzoir that look at this thread.

Is Avatar: The Last Airbender Anime?

Just an interesting video from a youtube series I love. Very informative and interesting topics. In next weeks video he'll talk about this topic again when he goes over the comments from it.

Interesting and he covered all the points very well. I recently got very annoyed that Ubisoft said they were making a JRPG when they are not japanese.

I have discussed this with friends before and I always say that Avatar is anime inspired. It is topics like this that make me feel I am much more xenophobic than I would like to believe.

I cant remember but in a Japanese census asking the question how Japan should better promote itself abroad, anime and games were the top answers. It is important to note that America is as dominant in the world as it is today because their main export is culture and culture is much more powerful than military might and economic power although it could be seen as an extension of both. Eitherway anime is one of Japan's main cultural exports and it has been a very instrumental gateway in people getting to know Japan's language, society and history.

I feel if anyone can start making anime, then it will become coopted and homogenised, and in the end, it will bear little resemblance to what inspired it in the first place and an artform will be lost as it is reduced to a marketing term.

Sometimes exclusivity is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0UBbzeFc74

I mean yeah... I am going to watch it even though I promised myself I wouldnt. I just know from now on I'm going to be hypercritical of Korra. I really cant stand her... all would be forgiven if she didnt kill off the mythology. Ooo just thinking about it burns me deep. If she shares the spotlight with Asami and Lin the show would prosper IMO.

What piqued my interest was the influx of airbenders... airbending has always been my favourite bending skill and tbh I dont think Tenzin has been the best representative of airbending. Airbending to me represents freedom so to see its main Ambassador so insecure and trapped in the past was a disappointment. But the new breed of airbenders look badass.

I am really enjoying S3 with ep 7 probably being one of my most favourite episodes of the whole avatar series.

For a long time since the series began I've always wanted to see more of the airbenders.

This season has really improved by making it an ensemble piece which I think has been an overall smart decision.

Bad news for Korra it seems. The word is that Nickelodeon is stopping their current airing schedule after either this week or next and rumor is it may move to online only. Should hear more on this at SDCC, but overall this just doesn't bode well.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back