Buying a new laptop

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

EndlessDreams

-san
Kouhai
Well, I'm going to buy a new laptop.

My limited funds is 1200$

I'm having a big problem choosing between

Dell Studio XPS 16

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218045569785

HP dv7-1285dx

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1218041149114

I'm thinking about buying the HP because of the 6GB of ram and 17'' screen

I found an issue that Dell's ram is DDR3 and HP's ram is DDR2 and also the hard drive rpm speed is different too.

4GB DDR3 and 6GB DDR2... I don't really know which will be faster.

Any suggestion ?

Which is better which way ?

Thx a ton
biggrin.gif

PS. I won't take Blu ray reader for the Dell laptop so count it as a DVD Burner instead

Unless you're trying to run Crisis or constantly running a ridiculous amount of programs, the 6gb of ram is not worth anything. Everything can essentially run with 4gb at this point.

The big difference I would see would be the graphics card and the Hard Drive Type. The 4gb uses ATI Mobility RADEON M86XT, which I have no idea how that is, and the 6gb uses NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT, which is decent and can probably upgrade to 9800 at some point.

Also note other specs including Battery type (6gb uses lithium ion) as well as hard drive space.

Unless you plan on upgrading your computer to a quad core eventually with that 6gb of ram, I would not say that should be the deciding factor.

Yeah, I'm going to run programs like crazy

MSN Messenger
BT
IRC
Security
IE/Firefox
Games like Crisis, Unreal Tournament
ETC (My taskbar is full of programs)

I don't know how much that the rpm speed of the hard drive will effect the cpu speed.

(Loading ton of files by the hard core games)

Well these are the specs (only in difference)

Dell

RAM : 4GB DDR3
Display Type: High-definition WLED
Video Memory: 512MB (discrete)
Battery Type: 6-cell (Battery life up to 3 hours and 17 minutes)
HD Size: 320GB (7200 rpm)

HP

RAM: 6GB DDR2
Display Type: WXGA high-definition widescreen with BrightView technology (1440 x 900)
Video Memory: 512MB (dedicated); up to 2558MB total available graphics memory
Battery Type: Lithium-ion (Battery up to 3 hours and 15 minutes)
HD Size: 500GB (5400 rpm)

PS. I don't really concerned about the Hard drive storage size because I got lots of external hard drive especially for my files

Edited :

Upgrading the HP to Quad core will cost me too much money, also the HP is only sell at BestBuy so I think I can't do a customize.

I have issue with dells lol so I wouldnt go with dell personally. Also 6gb of ram is only useful if you are a graphic artist, 3d artist, or anything else that use alot of ram will be good otherwise it nothing. Another thing will the OS even recognize ram more than 4gb too some case it will only see up to 3.2, 3.7 or 4 not more.

What kit say is also to be consider.

except that quad core part since it a laptop lol

DDR3 suppose to be faster though than DDR2.

IMO, HP is a much better brand and you should go for it. I had a Dell laptop once (not a very good one though), and it was a complete disappointment. I would've gotten an HP for my new one if Sonys weren't on sale. You should also consider Acer laptops, since I hear they're pretty good, and not as expensive as some other brands.

As for upgrading suggestions from Kit, I wouldn't count much on upgrades with laptops, since it's just too messy, difficult and expensive. So, choose wisely, since you're likely going to be stuck with it for a while. Also, the mobile versions of the gfx cards are not the same thing as their full-size conterparts, just fyi.

My bottom line is, even though I may be negatively biased, stay away from Dell if you want your laptop to work well and last for a while. The rest depends on what you really want from it. As far as my personal preferences go, I notice that the HP has a WGXA screen (17" vs 16" isn't that huge of a difference unless you want to use it as a TV though), and a bigger harddrive (I'd say, matters for any anime fan
wink.gif
). As Kit said, unless you want to run latest games at max settings (which will not happen on a laptop anyway), 4GB vs 6GB ram is not a big deal.

Be warned that neither of the two is a good choice for travel - they are desktop replacements. I have a 17" laptop myself (Sony Vaio VGN-AR720E/B), and have run into that problem. I also notice that both have Vista preloaded, so double-check if all the hardware is XP compatible if you want to run XP on it. If you choose to travel with it, battery life may be important (don't expect it to be long with such a big screen).

Also, double-check Amazon, they sometimes have great deals (I got like 300-400 $ off my Sony). Also see if the companies' official sites have any deals.

@Kansatsusha-sama

Maximum Ram for each Window Vista version.

* 32-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate: 4GB
* 32-bit Windows Vista Starter: 1GB
* 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic: 8GB
* 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Premium: 16GB
* 64-bit versions of Windows Vista Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate: 128GB

DDR3 is faster than DDR2 but it's 2GB of ram difference which really made me confuse @_@

---

I heard that HP doesn't provide the installation disc. Is that true that I have to make a backup disc myself ?

Just wanted to ask, nothing concerned about choosing one of em.

64bit hummm
happy.gif

I wiki DDR rams and here is some info

----------------------------------------------
DDR (DDR1) has been superseded by DDR2 SDRAM, which has some modifications to allow higher clock frequency, but operates on the same principle as DDR. Competing with DDR2 are Rambus XDR DRAM. DDR2 has become the standard, as XDR is lacking support. DDR3 SDRAM is a new standard that offers even higher performance and new features.

DDR's prefetch buffer depth is 2 bits; DDR2 uses 4 bits. Although the effective clock rates of DDR2 are higher than for DDR, the overall performance was no greater in the early implementations, primarily due to the high latencies of the first DDR2 modules. DDR2 started to be effective by the end of 2004, as modules with lower latencies became available.[7]

Memory manufacturers have stated that it is impractical to mass-produce DDR1 memory with effective clock rates in excess of 400 MHz. DDR2 picks up where DDR1 leaves off, and is available at clock rates of 400 MHz and higher.

RDRAM is a particularly expensive alternative to DDR SDRAM, and most manufacturers have dropped its support from their chipsets.

DDR1 memory's prices have substantially increased since Q2 2008 while DDR2 prices are reaching an all-time low. In January 2009, 1GiB DDR1 is 2-3 times more expensive than 1GiB DDR2.
----------------------------------------------

The 2 gb different is nothing it just more ram to run more stuff or stuff that use more ram like high resolution images with photoshop. It just the performance of the ram is better is what it is.

Also request the recovery disc for the computer since it suppose to come with it I believe if not I think you can purchase it from them. If the computer provide you with a software to create your recovery disc is cool too i guess >.>

If the spec on the Dell wasnt a dell I would say go for that one but then again it is a dell so it up to u. RPM is better on it too.

RPM information lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolutions_per_minute

Afaik, none of the companies give you the install disk for free, and Dell I can say for sure doesn't;

I suggest you go to official HP website before you make the decision - you can customize the same model as what they offer at BestBuy with slightly different hardware, but roughly same configurations, and it'll cost $100 cheaper; or, you can pay an extra $50 for a 1GB Radeon gfx card, which is much better than the 512 MB NVidia.

EDIT: I've also got to say that it's your bad lick that Sony discontinued AR series; those were some decent media laptops; they replaced them with AW series which is even bigger, and more expensive.

EDIT2: Almost forgot - go to notebookcheck.com to get more info on laptops and laptop-specific hardware; a particularly excellent source to compare the capabilities of various gfx cards.

Thanks for the suggestion guys. Sorry about this, I'm not getting one of em now.

My Dad will get me a HP 18'4 Laptop instead since he'll use it too -.-

Here's the Beast Laptop for 1300~$

HP HDX18t Premium Series customizable Notebook PC

* – Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
* – Intel® Core™ Centrino 2 Duo Processor T9550 (2.66 GHz)
* – 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* – 320GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
* – 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
* – 18.4" diagonal High Definition HP Ultra BrightView Infinity Display (1920x1080p)
* – Lightscribe Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer
* – Webcam + Fingerprint Reader with HP Imprint Finish (Fluid)
* – Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
* – HP Color Matching Keyboard
* – 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
* – System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit)

Amazed ?! Just 1300~$ and I got all these specs.

Well, 200$ off rebate and a 500$ discount coupon made a hugh difference.

I hope he doesn't change his mind or else my heart will break apart.

Good choice. You got really lucky with the discounts
wink.gif

That said, the thing is friggin' huge! Why not just get a desktop?

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Apr 15 2009, 04:42 AM) Good choice. You got really lucky with the discounts
wink.gif

That said, the thing is friggin' huge! Why not just get a desktop?
That's what I was thinking, 18.4"? Ginormous. But I usually go for 15" laptops so to me even a 17" is big. Nice specs for that price though.

Get that one it perfect lol very good specs and good price. Good luck finding a bag for that size of laptop lol. Better graphic card than the one that u began with too lol

Also the different is one portable one not lol one u have to lug around a big tower and ther other like a suitcase lol.

A couple things:

- Buy Dell, you might as well go buy some shit off the street, do not expect it to last long, and if it does, do not expect help when issues arise.
- HP is not worth your time either, so many issues I am not going to start saying much.
- Go with a good company that is meant for making laptops, esp if your looking at gaming.
- Duo Core > Quad Core right now. Most games running on a Quad core run slower then on Duo, times change though. But companies stay the same
sad.gif

- If your really looking for something versatile, go with a desktop. I fly around 6-8 times a year (sometimes more), b/c I live far from home at university. I have been using laptops for the past 4 years, and in the end I'd have saved probably 3000$ just getting a good desktop.
- Spend a little extra cash, and get a good one
biggrin.gif

- go with a 15" I got a 19" widescreen laptop a while back, only to realise I had to spend another 100$ to get a case that fits it to carry it around.

You could always do what I do. Buy a "disposable" refurb laptop with decent specs (sometimes saving like 50% off retail) and save the remaining money to buy/build a separate desktop if you still need it, upgrading when & where necessary. Your utility per dollar ratio will probably be better.

A 18" laptop is a monster - portability is not exactly its strong suit.

This thread has been a good read as I am planning to also, buy a laptop. Granted, an 18 inch screen would be wonderful, if it was super duper slim, but alas, one has to make sacrifices somewhere. While I am in no way an expert like most of you here, it has helped me to make a better choice about what I will be looking at. Almost bought a Toshiba, but changed my mind, after reading all the posts herein.
As far as Dell goes...I have never had any problems. My nieces and nephews have Dell laptops and just love them. They are all in Uni as well, and lug their babys back and forth. Now, I have a desktop which I purchased in 2000, a Dell...I baby him...still gets the job done, reliable, smooth, quiet. I know I lack all the latest stuff, but hell, it is gonna be hard to part with him one day.
wink.gif
Has a Pentium 4 processor, 40GB hard drive and 512 megabytes of memory. I smile to this day, to see the old dinosaur still hard at work. Of course, I have an external hard drive attached now. He travels the world, keeps my files nice and handy, has all of my anime stored just so, and last but not least, my musica! And he does have a DVD player.
wink.gif
He is always well cared for, black and as sleek as they come.
tongue.gif

Anyway, thanks guys, for all the good information and though some of it is over my head, the basics are understood.
wink.gif

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Apr 15 2009, 02:24 PM) This thread has been a good read as I am planning to also, buy a laptop. Granted, an 18 inch screen would be wonderful, if it was super duper slim, but alas, one has to make sacrifices somewhere. While I am in no way an expert like most of you here, it has helped me to make a better choice about what I will be looking at. Almost bought a Toshiba, but changed my mind, after reading all the posts herein.
As far as Dell goes...I have never had any problems. My nieces and nephews have Dell laptops and just love them. They are all in Uni as well, and lug their babys back and forth. Now, I have a desktop which I purchased in 2000, a Dell...I baby him...still gets the job done, reliable, smooth, quiet. I know I lack all the latest stuff, but hell, it is gonna be hard to part with him one day.
wink.gif
Has a Pentium 4 processor, 40GB hard drive and 512 megabytes of memory. I smile to this day, to see the old dinosaur still hard at work. Of course, I have an external hard drive attached now. He travels the world, keeps my files nice and handy, has all of my anime stored just so, and last but not least, my musica! And he does have a DVD player.
wink.gif
He is always well cared for, black and as sleek as they come.
tongue.gif

Anyway, thanks guys, for all the good information and though some of it is over my head, the basics are understood.
wink.gif

I use to be a big fan of Dell. Back home before I got my laptop for college we only ever had one desktop at my house and it has been a Dell for a looooong time (and my mom is still using a dell desktop). My sister's dell laptop lasted 3-4 years for her before she bought a new one. My original Dell laptop was working relatively fine before it was stolen which is why I bought a new one. But my recent computer has given me problems only just past a year after buying it (which you can see in my topic asking for help in the Misc section). Then Dell's support has been a bitch to get answers from and I still don't have the screws to secure my hdd in my computer since they never sent them back with my laptop when I sent it in for repair.

Moral of the Story: I'm buying a HP or Toshiba next time, maybe when Windows 7 comes out.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Apr 15 2009, 12:31 PM) I use to be a big fan of Dell. Back home before I got my laptop for college we only ever had one desktop at my house and it has been a Dell for a looooong time (and my mom is still using a dell desktop). My sister's dell laptop lasted 3-4 years for her before she bought a new one. My original Dell laptop was working relatively fine before it was stolen which is why I bought a new one. But my recent computer has given me problems only just past a year after buying it (which you can see in my topic asking for help in the Misc section). Then Dell's support has been a bitch to get answers from and I still don't have the screws to secure my hdd in my computer since they never sent them back with my laptop when I sent it in for repair.

Moral of the Story: I'm buying a HP or Toshiba next time, maybe when Windows 7 comes out.
Toshiba or ASUS imo. 2 Amazing companies, that make amazing computers!

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Apr 15 2009, 11:31 AM) Moral of the Story: I'm buying a HP or Toshiba next time, maybe when Windows 7 comes out.
So let me understand this, Barbo-san, a Toshiba is a good choice then, yes? I saw a really nice one for under $600.00, online. I think though, I will go and actually look at it and run my hands over it so as to get a better feel for it. I don't want to run into any problems later, like what you are having. Ah...too bad, I remember when you had your laptop stolen, then buying this one, the green one, right? I don't want anything fancy, just a good, reliable machine, with good speed and lots of memory and of course, good tech support. I don't do any major computer programing or gaming. I will use it for writing, listening to music, anime watching, browsing the Internet, email, Skype, stuff like that. Well, I will try and get the specs on that laptop and post them here. Thanks for your input, Barbo-san.

QUOTE Toshiba or ASUS imo. 2 Amazing companies, that make amazing computers! Thanks to you too, trespasser-san!

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Apr 15 2009, 12:42 PM) So let me understand this, Barbo-san, a Toshiba is a good choice then, yes? I saw a really nice one for under $600.00, online. I think though, I will go and actually look at it and run my hands over it so as to get a better feel for it. I don't want to run into any problems later, like what you are having. Ah...too bad, I remember when you had your laptop stolen, then buying this one, the green one, right? I don't want anything fancy, just a good, reliable machine, with good speed and lots of memory and of course, good tech support. I don't do any major computer programing or gaming. I will use it for writing, listening to music, anime watching, browsing the Internet, email, Skype, stuff like that. Well, I will try and get the specs on that laptop and post them here. Thanks for your input, Barbo-san.
Thanks to you too, trespasser-san!
It all depends what you plan on doing with your laptop when it comes to brands, companies, and price.

If it's not mission critical and you don't have any specific hardware requirements, I say again... buy a refurb.

Dell Studio 15 (1535) Laptop: Intel Pentium Dual Core T3200 (2.00GHz/667Mhz FSB/1MB cache).
Real system price after coupons before tax & shipping: $390.15
1300 - ~ 400 = $900 remaining for a desktop

Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
3 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz (2 DIMMs)
160 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Intel Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
Dell External Mini USB Modem
Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera
Dell 1397 802.11B/G Wireless Mini Card
6 Cell Primary Battery
65W AC Adapter
Certified Refurbished ( full 1 year warranty )
15.4 WXGA Laptop Screen Display with TrueLife
8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back