Censoring the internet with SOPA

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
I think the main issue here isn't JUST sopa and so-on, but the fact that the government appears to be using every means, short of armed troops, to rewrite the constitution to their liking. Best example would be "Search-and-seizure" supposedly for drugs. The excuse, at the time, was "The founding fathers never envisioned the current state of affairs". the way it works... if they can get away with something they are NOT entitled to regulate ONCE, then they have a free pass to doing more of it in the future. Government's favourite argument.. "Special case".

Although just because one site was a "special case " pretty much means that they can use it any way they feel like it. In other words we'll probably end up like how China has thier internet as of late. It means you can't search fo things you would normally search. Top it all off I'm sure this could play as having an edge on things for politicians since thier info can be censored, and of course all militarty documencts can be censored like they never had the Right to Know Act as well.

Pretty much with this being vague as ever only means that it could be used the way it was meant to be, and the way normal people wish it was never to be used. If the people who wroted it weren't being waaay to vauge over this I'm sure this arguement would be different though.

In any case all I can say is that they are supposedly ovting for it today, so I have to wish the people on the Internet, "Good night, and good luck. I hope things will still be like they were before this bill ever came to light."
sleep.gif

http://sopastrike.com/

The link for what's going on today if anyone is interested.

And for a fact I find it almost a silly law like this is even considered to be passed, IMO there's definitely a gain in the long run here (Being Captain Obvious here), I will not declare anything though as I have no evidence to prove that something is in the works but its just so plain stupid I can't even believe this is actually happening.

The US gov't seriously wants to have a V for Vendetta in Real time.

and Good lord although off-topic the candidates for the US presidents...
ph34r.gif

Other than that Wedora-san pretty much nailed the issue here...

Much as this makes me sound like a “madman” this whole “act” sounds like a “conspiracy”.

Censor internet? Who comes up with these if not from a “conspiracy maker”.

And what if this bill goes through? Does people have to “pay” for internet? Oh~ that’s perfect! It’s so~ American To make us pay for everything. “Free country” My ASS!

Okay, let’s be reasonable. Maybe, “maybe”, we don’t have to pay for internet but we just won’t be getting any information outside of America… Our future generation won’t learn world history that don’t involve America…. We won’t question how other culture was or is because we don’t have the knowledge to….

WHY DOES SOUND MORE AND MORE LIKE NORTH KOREAN CULTURE WHEN “KIM JUNG IL” WAS STILL ALIVE!?!

I might be venting out my anger because I’m really start to hate this world more than necessary.

[moderator's note: the effects of sopa/pipa are understandably upsetting, but please tone down the profanities as these are against the forum rules, thank!]

NEWS ALERT!!!

US Federal Government shutdown "Megaupload"!! Small clip from Foxnews... but none of the other news such as ABC, CBS, NBC or CNN are reporting this action!!

--------------
Federal prosecutors have shut down one of the world's largest file-sharing sites, Megaupload.com, on charges of violating piracy laws -- a day after a 24-hour blackout of popular websites such as Wikipedia drew national attention to the issue.

"This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States," the Justice department said in a statement about the indictment.

Related Stories
Relieved users welcome Wikipedia's return after 24-hour blackout
Apple reinvents textbooks with new publishing platform
Score one for the American people and Internet freedom
SOPA -- What It Is and Why It’s Bad
The indictment accuses seven individuals and two corporations -- Megaupload Limited and Vestor Limited -- of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. It was unsealed on Thursday, and claims that at one point Megaupload was the 13th most popular website in the world.

Ok just so people know further discussion for the Megaupload is taking place on this thread here:

http://boards.fansub.tv/?showtopic=10402&st=0&#entry313323

Granted this had nothing to do with the SOPA bill... as from what I've heard from some college freind of mine.
unsure.gif

So any MegaUpload ranting should take place in the aformentioned thread guys, and thanks for understanding this.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (noob @ Jan 22 2012, 08:03 AM) Actually, they are sort of related but I won't go there. ACTA is more important than megaupload right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAkpsRLESWk
Noob, thank you for the youtube link, that was very informative and incredibly frightening. What is our world coming to?
wink.gif

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jan 22 2012, 07:48 AM) Noob, thank you for the youtube link, that was very informative and incredibly frightening. What is our world coming to?
I know that you're from UK so, click on this link and sign the petition if you'd like to do something against it in UK.

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/20685

There are plenty of other petitions available for the other countries, so if you google your own country, you should be able to find something for your own country.

One of my friend showed me this funny picture. Hope it will lighten up a little the atmosphere ^^

[EDIT]

On FileSonic site...

QUOTE All sharing functionality on FileSonic is now disabled. Our service can only be used to upload and retrieve files that you have uploaded personnally

Source : FileSonic site

QUOTE (Nemingway @ Jan 22 2012, 07:00 PM) One of my friend showed me this funny picture. Hope it will lighten up a little the atmosphere ^^

[EDIT]

On FileSonic site...

Source : FileSonic site
Firstly, thank you Noob for the link.

Secondly........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not to filesonic!!
sad.gif
This is getting worse and worse.....Internet must stay strong but instead the Megaupload shutdown has delivered a mental blow to all owners of the file-sharing sites.

Today one blow did come back as the European parliament voted against the ACTA agreement. Whatever happens now that treaty ain't going to work in the European Union.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back