DoS attack stopped

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

daft27

-nya
Retired
A Denial of Service attack on our servers was stopped. We are reporting it to the ISP's network abuse address.

If I am not mistaken WF website experienced the same kind of attack, but they weren't so lucky and were down for like a month an a half. Maybe someone is targetting anime sites?

QUOTE (The Stig @ Jul 2 2006, 12:42 PM) If I am not mistaken WF website experienced the same kind of attack, but they weren't so lucky and were down for like a month an a half. Maybe someone is targetting anime sites?
I'm not sure, but the DoS attack that hit us isn't too hard to stop if an system admin is available to stop it. We just blocked it at the firewall.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Jul 2 2006, 12:59 PM) I'm not sure, but the DoS attack that hit us isn't too hard to stop if an system admin is available to stop it. We just blocked it at the firewall.
DoS attacks are usally the work of ammature that think they are good! It is very easy to stop it (unlike a DDoS). But a DDoS takes a lot more preparation and time to put into place.

Its a shame that some people have so much free time that they can't do anything better than trying to break the hard work of other people!

I guess the people that attacked WF did have alot of time because WF got hit with the DDoS one. In anycase, thank you for keeping our site safe for us all. Some of us may die without anime.

Wow, im happy that Daft was able to stop the attack. Its kinda sad that ppl really go through the trouble of disturbing other peoples hard work. What gratification can anyone possibly get out of that? Well, i believe in karma, so what comes around goes around, and ppl like the one who attempted the attack will get theirs.

It are people with nothing better to do... ugly looking morons trying to ruin someone else his work, afraid they get a beat up in real life... ah well for every thing in life has to be someone. :p

Yes however as much as i hate to say it... a good DoS attack would be harder than just a firewall... Maybe this guy/girl could be playing us for a fool and just decided to back-off and let the firewall take it down... you know like toy around with us...

But heck, what do i know, anyways if it was a full-scale attack then excellent blocking Daft...

QUOTE (The Stig @ Jul 2 2006, 10:42 AM) If I am not mistaken WF website experienced the same kind of attack, but they weren't so lucky and were down for like a month an a half. Maybe someone is targetting anime sites?
It was happen to AnimeOtaku website too

Glad that u were able to stop it daft! But just in case why dont you reconfigure ur firewall so next wannabe-asshole will get a RTC block?The same kind of attack was in animeplanet and hell-network. maybe we all use the same OS?or just someone just playing around,,, whatever is the case ,,,, FANSUBs WILL NEVER GO DOWN!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

QUOTE (Tears @ Jul 4 2006, 01:07 PM) maybe we all use the same OS?
DoS attacks are not OS specific. If you saturate the communication link, you can make a ,linux box unresponsive has well as a Windows or even a VMS system!

Hey so what is this all about? A Dos? what is that exactly?... Im sorry im kinda new to all this. And when did this attack happen?

QUOTE (Seig @ Jul 6 2006, 01:23 AM) A Dos? what is that exactly?...
DoS -> Denial Of Service.

Everytime your computer displays FTV, he asks the FTV sever for information (the web page or the anime you want). But what happens if your computer was to send requests to FTV VERY VERY fast without even letting time to FTV to answer back? The FTV server would be so busy to answer you that it would not have time to answer many other people. Those people would get a timeout error and it would look like the server was down.

DDoS -> Distributed Denial Of Service

Basicly the same as a DoS. Except that it is not a single computer attacking the server. Those are usally done with a virus. The virus infects a few thousand computers over the world. And at some point, all those computer each start a DoS attack on the same server.

The result is that there are a lot more request sent to the server and it is harder to block because you can't simply block the offending machine Simply because there are a lot and its hard to seperate the machines that are attacking from the regular people wanting to browser FTV.

I hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back