Fansub.tv webzine, 1st issue!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (Kataomoi @ Oct 02 2008, 06:42 PM) Man, that sucked balls. I turned out better stuff when I was making up sketches for imaginary clients. There's so much potential not to fail in this and it still did.

And could anyone, please, proofread ANY of this "magazine" in the future? Also, a lot of really interesting animes were overlooked. However, I'm thankful no one tarnished any image of Natsume Yuujinchou with 2nd grade sentence composition.
Man that is harsh, I personally liked it. I only found a few errors, but they are common mistakes that even native English speaking people make. And just like Noshi said they did this for fun, and in no way is this on a professional level.

Now onto feedback.
I liked the interview with daft, and I hope that you guys continue to do more interviews. It would help us get to know the FTV team or sempai's even better.(or other FTV members for that matter)
And as someone already mentioned I think expanding the okawari section to include international dishes would be a nice addition.

Other than that it was enjoyable.

just the fact that you guys finished it! wow! i'm so proud of you guys!! disregard any comments made that have no actual value in terms of improving the webzine. As long as everyone had fun contributing and doing their part that is all that matters the most. this isnt a professional mag (well duh) and the point of it is that its made by fans for fans.
Great job you guys!
happy.gif
i can't wait for the next issue!!

QUOTE (Kataomoi @ Oct 02 2008, 08:42 PM) Man, that sucked balls. I turned out better stuff when I was making up sketches for imaginary clients. There's so much potential not to fail in this and it still did.

And could anyone, please, proofread ANY of this "magazine" in the future? Also, a lot of really interesting animes were overlooked. However, I'm thankful no one tarnished any image of Natsume Yuujinchou with 2nd grade sentence composition.
Okay, now this just pisses me off.

I hereby volunteer my services to the webzine team as a proofreader and editor. If someone is going to complain about minor errors (which, I will point out, commonly occur in PROFESSIONAL publications that sell by the millions) then I will make it my personal mission to make sure that no errors make it through to publication next issue.

It is extremely irritating to have a person come and piss on everyone's hard work for no reason other than to be an @ss. Offer constructive criticism, don't be a jerk.

Either way, for the first issue I had planned to work as an editor (and for the original aborted issue, I was even a reviewer); but due to school I was unable to participate. I apologize for that, and congratulate all of you for doing an excellent job.

I hereby welcome you back to the team?
tongue.gif

edit:
8/10 for efforts
7/10 for quality

20/10 for the awesome posts in this thread
100/10 for the next awesome post that violates the general ftv rules (which will result in a ban.)

Keep it clean ladies or I will have to cut the heels of your shoes so you wouldn't feel so high and mighty (Yes that is right, I called some of you women even though you technically are not one)

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Oct 02 2008, 04:40 PM) I have a little problem: when i try to open the pdf i keep on getting a error message that the file is damaged. Maybe it is my version of acrobat: what version did you use? i've got acrobat reader 9 right now.
Both the Foxit reader I use at home and the version of Acrobat we use at work warned that the file wouldn't display properly as it contained newer features than they knew how to handle. Despite this the file displayed ok on both though. However Foxit crashed when I tried to print it or scroll right to the end but only because it turned out to need 1GB of memory or swap space to view or print the whole file due to it being so graphics intensive and I don't have 1GB of space free on my system disk. I did try upgrading my reader to the current version but it didn't make any difference. In the end I printed the magazine out at work.

Maybe it would be possible to optimise the PDF file next time so it prints more easily, I've not previously had problems with PDF files, in fact I once even printed a 300 page PDF file (Photoshop manual) from this computer without a hitch! It could be that some authoring tools don't make good PDF files. Personally I use OpenOffice when I need to make PDF files and they seem to come out quite small and open fine in older versions of acrobat.

I'm using Acrobat 8 and cannot get the link to open. It keeps telling me the file is damaged/broken, or doesn't go anywhere at all.

However, I'm able to open the pdf download that was posted in the staff thread just fine, so it seems to be an issue with the link specifically.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Oct 07 2008, 03:17 AM) I'm using Acrobat 8 and cannot get the link to open. It keeps telling me the file is damaged/broken, or doesn't go anywhere at all.

However, I'm able to open the pdf download that was posted in the staff thread just fine, so it seems to be an issue with the link specifically.
If people are having problems using the opening link you should try this one:
FTV J-Zine First edition

Saying that I've never had a problem with the first link. I know daft changed the blog codes so we could upload the pdf file, perhaps that's where the problem lies.

I think that your Webzine is very good, my suggestion is that if you want to make it fit more animes in, you can announce some main Animes at the title or at the first few pages and then when the page for Anime review comes you do a full review of the first few, lets say 3 Animes. The rest should have a very small and overall review just so ppl know that those Anime exists and a smaller, also overall, Rating. ^^

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Oct 07 2008, 03:17 AM)I'm using Acrobat 8 and cannot get the link to open. It keeps telling me the file is damaged/broken, or doesn't go anywhere at all.

It could be that if you are trying to open the link directly on net that it is the browsers fault, try a different browser for example if you are using Mozilla Firefox try to open it with Internet Explorer.

If that doesn't help and if you have downloaded it, i think that it would be a good move to reinstall Adobe Reader just in case. =)

For the ones who didn't know, the Second issue of the webzine is out and available for download on Fansub.tv!

Also we started a blog for the webzine!
http://blog.fansub.tv/jzine1/
Issues will be posted there and additional webzine related stuff will be posted there as well so make sure to keep an eye on it and leave love and comments often! XD

Its a very impressive project you guys have come up with. Very well done seeing as you are doing this for free. I think this project can be something more. Since its available on the net and not really meant to be used as a hard copy, why not make it interactive? Like make a webpage with links to click on which would take you to the next article.

Pretty much rather than make the magazine into a PDF, how about an actual part of the website? So much more would be possible then I think. Like you can add tube vids, flash games, links, gifs etc.

Still though very well done I was blown away when I first saw it, must have taken you guys a long time to pull that off while maintaining your real lives.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back