Food you can cook

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (warita200 @ Dec 31 2009, 02:28 AM)wow, groceries must be like real cheap in the USA. The ramen package itself would already cost 50-80 cent (euro cents) over here. Add the tomato and cheese and you are well above one euro. Eggs are sold at 2,5-3 euros per 10 pieces, that makes another 25 cents. Considering that euro is more expensive than dollar (1 euro= 1,4$) that would be a rather expensive student food.
smile.gif

Seriously? Dang. Here it costs 10-15 cents for a pack of ramen, and ~$1.25 for a dozen (cheap) eggs (about 13 cents an egg). On good days you can get a roma tomato for something like 30-40 cents, and bam, there ya go.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jan 08 2010, 11:49 PM)Egg fried noodles, huh? I thought that usually went better with rice

Still, a word of advice: buy a pack of actual noodles rather than instant crap; it's not going to come more expensive in the end if at all, and definitely tastes better.
I agree that real noodles are much better than the instant crap, but the "fried ramen" thing really isn't a stir-fry. It's more like some kind of delicious pancake from hell. The 10-15 cent ramen just gives it a good, cheap base.

I'm totally with you on the potato thing though. It's crazy how far you can stretch your dollar with them.

Anyone here who tried the dishes in Sunred yet? Tried the fried chicken curry and played around with it. I tell ya guys, it works.

I just went to our local discount store and picked up 11 pounds of country style ribs for $1.89 per pound or about a euro per kilo. While rib is in the name, there are no bones and not as much fat. I cooked all of it in a twenty-one quart roaster for six hours with onions, garlic, and a little MSG. For the last hour, I added some Famous Dave's Barbeque Sauce (one sixteenth of a bottle at $2.00/ bottle on sale) The twenty-one quart roaster cost approximately $30 on sale at the local farm supply store.

The entire meal including seasoning, barbeque sauce, meat, side dish, and electric roaster cost less than three people actually going to Famous Dave's. Country style ribs also have more meat than a slab of ribs. My family of five plus a guest were only able to eat a third. The rest was vacuum packed and frozen for second and third meals in two and four weeks.

Side dish: 10 pounds of Yukon Gold potatoes for $4.00 on sale at local grocery store as a loss leader. Sliced with a salad shooter ($20.00 post xmas sale at farm supply store) thin enough to see through. One cup of finely shredded onion ($0.50) suated in one quarter cup of sweet creem butter ($0.75) Mixed with four cups milk reconstitued from powder (($0.75) and a cup of flour (($0.50) to make a sauce with 8 oz of medium chedder cheese ($2.50) Cover top with quarter tube of bread crumbs ($0.50) Makes an 18" by 24" pan 3 inches deep. Should be enough for a family of six to eat three meals but last time it only made it two meals.

Snack Before putting away the salad shooter: Thinly slice a pound of carrots. When thinly sliced, they go well with dips. If stored in a reusable vacuum container (2 1quart containers for $6.00) A pound of carrots ($2.00 per pound or $6.00 for 10 pounds) can last over a week. Compare to 12 oz bag of potato chips for $3.75. But, potato chips do taste far better. Sliced carrots can also be boiled with ramen noodles for added nutrition. When cut sliver thin they cook in three to five minutes.

LOL, this thread just about died..... I mis you Bold!!!

Anyways, I tried cooking karaage today, japanese fried chicken and it turned out so delicious, I almost died while eating it.

I got inspired by this video: http://www.youtube.com/user/runnyrunny999#p/u/29/XivddFddthc

His recipes are fairly easy and very yummie. I already tried some of them, but karaage was so far the best!!! Guys, you absolutely HAVE to try it!!!

PS: he uses only garlic in the video, but says one should use both garlic AND ginger, if possible. I agree, ginger gives it a fine exotic touch. But be carefull with it. It is better to put too little of ginger in the marinade than too much, as ginger has an overwhelming aroma.

Wow definitely going to try it XD He makes it look so easy and his good English makes it even better. Not to mention that he jokes about his own amateur skills and stuff, lol he's funny.

I'm glad it turned out well warita-chan!! I am going to give it a try too sometime!! His videos are the best, really makes cooking look easy and fun.

By the way guys, I thought I might share some pics I have taken while cooking:

This is the raw version that needs to marinade for about an hour in the fridge.

Aaaaaaand here is the end result, I am so proud,
laugh.gif

Can cook four-gang-menus! The problem is that that my willpower isn't playing with ;P
I can cook but I'm too lazy to cook! Mother or grandmother can do it! ^^

QUOTE (warita200 @ May 08 2010, 10:12 AM)By the way guys, I thought I might share some pics I have taken while cooking:

Any chance you could include instructions and a recipe? Looks good
Thanks

Me is cooking paella today, the spanish national dish. I am expecting a visit from UK, somebody you guys know
wink.gif
so I decided to splurge a little.
laugh.gif

So this might be a little weird, but I went and bought a pineapple today because, well honestly I've never actually seen somebody cut up a pineapple and eat it. It has always already been pre-made. It's almost like the uncut pineapple is always sitting out on display. So today I am going to cut up a pineapple for the first time and eat it! Woo!

gif-pict-pineapple-2.gif

QUOTE (Nathawesome @ Aug 27 2010, 02:13 PM) So this might be a little weird, but I went and bought a pineapple today because, well honestly I've never actually seen somebody cut up a pineapple and eat it. It has always already been pre-made. It's almost like the uncut pineapple is always sitting out on display. So today I am going to cut up a pineapple for the first time and eat it! Woo!

gif-pict-pineapple-2.gif

Many produce departments have a pineapple corer in the backroom and will cut your pineapple for free. If you cut it yourself at home, you actually get to eat more.

There are instructions that you can search for to cut off the top and plant it for another pineapple next year if you tell them you want to keep the top. It can grow as a house plant for northern areas.

Don't wait too long after you buy it from a store to eat it. If it is at a grocery store it is probably already old.

QUOTE (snorky2k @ Aug 27 2010, 02:21 PM) Many produce departments have a pineapple corer in the backroom and will cut your pineapple for free. If you cut it yourself at home, you actually get to eat more.

There are instructions that you can search for to cut off the top and plant it for another pineapple next year if you tell them you want to keep the top. It can grow as a house plant for northern areas.

Don't wait too long after you buy it from a store to eat it. If it is at a grocery store it is probably already old.

Thanks that's good to know. I was just reading up on growing pineapple and it seems like it is hard to produce fruit. Have you had experience growing them?

This seems like it would be a fun little project to do.

Wow, you can really grow a whole new pineapple out of the top? XD damn, I should've saved the one my boss cut off when we had to cut up a pineapple
tongue.gif

I never had much pineapple in my whole life and the tiny bits I did have, were the ones pre-conserved. First time I actually had fresh pineapple in a smoothie, I got a horrible rash so I suppose it was an allergy, lucky me.
tongue.gif

Pineapple_Animated_Pixel_Icon_by_miley26.gif
Pineapple News!

So I just finished cutting up my pineapple for the first time and it was an EXTREMELY huge success!

Let's just say that ~1 pineapple is roughly ~ $4
and a container of pre-sliced pineapple is roughly ~$6-7
After cutting up my pineapple, I think I have about the amount of 3 containers and feel as though I saved about $10-15!!!!

Now I thought about doing the pineapple top planting but I think that will be a project some other time.

Yo Friend Nate!
Pineapple News!

p.s. Fresh pineapple tastes the best!

QUOTE (Noshi @ Aug 27 2010, 02:30 PM) Wow, you can really grow a whole new pineapple out of the top? XD damn, I should've saved the one my boss cut off when we had to cut up a pineapple
tongue.gif

I bought one but did not cut the top off in time. I plan on starting another one in December so I can take it outside for summer.

QUOTE (snorky2k @ Aug 28 2010, 03:42 AM) I bought one but did not cut the top off in time. I plan on starting another one in December so I can take it outside for summer.
Sounds awesome!
tongue.gif
Do keep us (me) updated XD Whenever I'm at work cutting pineapples I feel so tempted by the sweet scent but I'm too afraid to eat it because I'm not sure if I'll get such a huge skin rash again :S

@Nathawesome hahaha feels great doesn't it?
tongue.gif
Greatest thing is if you store it in the right way (tupperware?) and put it in the fridge, it'll last for few more days for you to enjoy!

Fresh pineapples are good...but what's better, and remains foreign to many parts of this fine world? Prickly Pears!
DSCF4536.jpg
2008_1007carnival0113.jpg

They are so delicious! And a real trick to pluck from the cactus, let alone wash and eat the fruit, as they are covered with thorns. In a way, they are peeled and cored much like a pineapple is.
One of the many wonderful perks about living in Southern California and watching them grow in one's own backyard!
wink.gif
Now, if you'll excuse me, I am gonna eat an ice cold, Tuna. (Mexican name for the prickly pear fruit)
tongue.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back