Game of Thrones

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
I can't say i dislike Daenerys, but I do find her story one of the less interesting stories. In season 1 and 2 I enjoyed it with her and the Dothraki and dragons, but it's got to the point where I just don't quite care anymore and would much rather see more involving Jon Snow, Arya, Tyrion, Jamie, or Sansa. Especially Sansa after the last few episodes of season 4 as her character seems like it can go in a very interesting direction.

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Jun 22 2014, 03:36 PM)Is there a specific reason as to why?
Daenerys aka white Jesus aka white liberator taming the savage people and teaching them her civilised ways.

I liked her in season 1 but in GoT, everyone lives in the dark ages, no one is happy because no one knows what they truly want. Everyone's default mode is betrayal, so many of the characters mean nothing to me because there is nothing else to them. So in this pre-enlightened age why is Daenerys so enlightened when she has the most cause to follow the proper conduct of war in the dark ages (to rape, pillage and enslave). I dont buy her character's motivations...it strikes me as she is better because she is better and the juxtaposition at the end of season 3 with all these brown skins lifting a fair white messianic figure really left a bad taste in my mouth. Indoctrinated imperialism.

Arya has had some fantastic character moments and so when she says something as cynical as "any man can be killed" it is consistent with her experience and the audience understands what has brought a child to say this. Daenerys just went from 1 to 10 IMO and when you do it with a topic like slavery or social justice in general, to me it comes across as flippant. Especially when everyone that has pursued justice has had their heads chopped off and their throat slit. One of the misaligned Dothraki should have slit her throat at the end of season 1 and it would have been consistent with the precedence set by Ned Stark's death and the mantra that there is no plot armour. Her side of the story and what she represents just doesnt work for me on any level.

And really all of this is a consequence of I feel GoT has poor character progression and arcs (there are exceptions ofcourse). I'm only interested in GoT for the epic it is rather than the characters but I also feel that is a problem because it leaves me very detached when watching it.

And season 4 done.

For my money...season 4 was the best. It was the most character driven season so far and didnt rely solely on shock tactics to elicit certain reactions from the audience.

I'm surprise not alot of people seem to like the wall story but I loved it and episode 9 is my favourite ep so far. I was almost sweating to see if Jon would make it out alive.

Other spotlights was Tyrion's trial. I have that image of him walking down the corridor with a crossbow imprinted in my head. A man driven into despair about to commit an unthinkable crime. Felt like I was watching The Godfather.

Now Arya and Sansa are both becoming monsters in their own right. Arya scares me...mainly because I see quite alot of myself in her. It'll be fascinating to see where her arc goes.

But my favourite moment has to when the bells rang Varys rolled his eyes and decided to stay on the boat heading across the narrow sea. A crystal realisation, King's Landing is the personification of a malignant disease. Monstrous people with dark desires multiply by the dozen. Anything good is not only torn down but mocked by virtue in demise. King's Landing and the seven kingdoms is a place that will consume all and destroy all.... as long as people remain unenlightened. And the only smart thing to do is to extricate yourself from the situation entirely before it consumes you to.

Franzoir, I am not really a fan of Daenerys and actually I hated most of her scenes throughout the entire series, I just find her character to be boring. The novel version of her is a little bit better (she's more sluttier in the books) but again her story arcs weren't as interesting at first but her arc does get more significantly interesting once she's knocked off her high-horse as the world isn't as sweet as she thinks, there are repercussions to her actions, which only just started in the latest season, which is skipping and changing things quite a bit.

Arya, Tyrion and Jon Snow are my favourite characters of the series.

Jonny boy be slayin'. Obviously this episode was badass but it also elucidates my seething hatred of Daenerys which grows with each scene and impacts my enjoyment of the show. What's interesting to see is how IMO Jon and Daenerys stand in contrast to each other. In GoT, the pre-enligtened age, none more exemplify their lack of enlightenment than Cersei. She is terribly miserable because she doesnt even know what she wants. She wants power for the sake of power and in doing so neutered her son King Tommen into a meek lamb, who now cannot save his mother from prison because he doesnt know how to exhibit power. And that is the medieval age in a nutshell, arbitrary rise and falls, while producing cycles of misery in its wake because people do not know any better.

The main characters that are enlightened are Varys, Jon, and Daernerys. Enlightenment for Varys comes from a form of pure exhaustion of the cycles of misery King's landing creates so it makes sense for him to want peace or atleast find another way. For Jon, enlightenment comes in the form of making peace with a century old enemy as a means to survive a far greater and apocalyptic evil which he has witnessed and experienced first hand. For Daenerys, enlightenment comes as a form of magic. Her pathways make absolutely no sense. She wants to end slavery because she knows it is wrong. Unfortunately that doesnt make sense in this kind of world where slavery is a pillar of society and banally accepted as part of the culture, just like rape and conquest. If she was a slave herself and thrusted into a position to free slaves it would make sense. But hey, Daenerys needed a moral pretext inorder to justify her imperialist invasion of Astapor which was painted in an obnoxious messianic light. Ofcourse, Tyrion notes how swimmingly her journey has been and advises her she needs support from the houses of Westeros. She replies she will "Break the wheel." This is the right thing to do but the question remains why does she want to break the wheel especially when she is entering into a marriage to appease the wheel. Is it because she simply wants revenge or because she is the messiah of messiahs. The former makes sense but the portrayal suggest the obnoxious latter. For a show that seems to be a phenomenon and maybe influential what really annoys me about Daenerys is I actually feel her storyline is deeply contradictory and incongruent with the rest of GoT but also a dangerous message to put out into the world. Humanity progresses inch by inch and not in magical leaps and bounds and I fear her storyline will never address this. So obviously, I would love to see Jon ascend to the iron throne as his impetus to unite mankind and make peace is clear as day.

With that rant out of the way, it is clear Jon will die by the end of this season and probably by the hands of that little shit Olly. As soon as Jon is confirmed dead, I'm out of this show so hard. GoT has never really gelled with me and I was only really invested in Jon's story from day one despite trying to watch S1 three times. Though I grew to love Arya because her personality most resembles mine, Jon's my boy and once he's gone I'm gone.

So Jon is dead... they heavily foreshadowed Olly being a little bitch and getting the final stab. I'm pretty much done with GoT. I admire it for the craft of the world. The worldbuilding is amazing. But there is something sinister and deeply unlikable about it. It doesnt vibe with me well.

I was only ever invested in Jon (maybe Arya) from GoT, all the other scenes were like window dressing apart from Daenerys arc which I find offensive. I always had to watch the rest from a very detached pov and just looking at the story constructs which I deeply respect.

I'm looking online and people are shocked at the ending but I dont understand this because GoT sets out to shock so therefore nothing should be shocking. All I feel about Jon's death is disappointment. I have been anticipating this since S4 and so the last personal vestige of investment in the show is gone. So it makes little sense for me to continue because it would be like watching scenery move.

I'm glad I marathoned it last year just to have an opinion but like all good things its time to move on.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Jun 15 2015, 08:12 AM) So Jon is dead... they heavily foreshadowed Olly being a little bitch and getting the final stab. I'm pretty much done with GoT. I admire it for the craft of the world. The worldbuilding is amazing. But there is something sinister and deeply unlikable about it. It doesnt vibe with me well.

I was only ever invested in Jon (maybe Arya) from GoT, all the other scenes were like window dressing apart from Daenerys arc which I find offensive. I always had to watch the rest from a very detached pov and just looking at the story constructs which I deeply respect.

I'm looking online and people are shocked at the ending but I dont understand this because GoT sets out to shock so therefore nothing should be shocking. All I feel about Jon's death is disappointment. I have been anticipating this since S4 and so the last personal vestige of investment in the show is gone. So it makes little sense for me to continue because it would be like watching scenery move.

I'm glad I marathoned it last year just to have an opinion but like all good things its time to move on.
Meh. Not sure if Jon actually did die or not. It's GoT; you never know.

Did they burn his body at the end there? If not, then I'd expect him to show up as a White Walker by next season and slaughter them all for them being that dumb. I mean there is a running theme here with how people die in that series. I mean you try to do the right thing, and try to end the bloodshed and you die a traitors death. If you have an extravagant wedding that has minstrels you're going to have someone, or some people die.

In any case hoping to see how season 6 ties things together now.
tongue.gif

Season 6 has had many highs and a few lows but overall, I'm loving it.

Everything seems to be coming together.

As for the end of episode 7, she better be alive and f*ck the worshippers of the many-faced gods.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jun 09 2016, 11:49 PM) Season 6 has had many highs and a few lows but overall, I'm loving it.

Everything seems to be coming together.

As for the end of episode 7, she better be alive and f*ck the worshippers of the many-faced gods.
You're gonna love the last 2 episodes
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (noob @ Jul 07 2016, 10:31 PM) You're gonna love the last 2 episodes
biggrin.gif

Oh hell, I did. I didn't even realise when I was watching the finale episode that it was the last episode of the season. For some reason I was thinking the series was 13 episodes long and I was like this episode is so damn perfect, it feels like a finale. I only realised after the episode had ended and was doing some googling only to see "epic finale beats all ratings" and titles along those lines.

Gotta wait another year again but damn season 7 is going to have so much more hype compared to previous seasons.

I both hated and love this latest Season. Like the pacing was generally pretty good, but the amount of progress for each character was minuscule. At the same time, the first episode was pretty legit, especially with the Door. And the last two (?) I'd say, just saved it.
You could really feel that Martin has not finalized his book, and that they've been throwing in things somewhere along production
biggrin.gif

Generally felt like a typical, not the best and ain't tryin', 13 episode anime - Great first episode to pull in viewers, slow paced 2-11, and rushed plot progress and character development over last two episodes :/

Overall though, as a Game of Thrones fan 10/10 would watch again, and hyped for next season with all the setting up they did here.

Nice to have you back JCD.

Oh yeah, I just needed to mention this, but the last season starts airing this April folks.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back