GOSICK

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

ImTakes

sama
Retired
22180.jpg
tgo.jpg

Title: GOSICK
Genres: Mystery, Drama, Horror
Plot Summary: GOSICK takes place in 1924 in a small, made-up European country of Sauville. The story centers on Kazuya Kujo, the third son of a Japanese Imperial soldier, who is a transfer student to St. Marguerite Academy, where urban legends and horror stories are all the rage. There he meets Victorique, a mysterious yet beautiful and brilliant girl who never comes to class and spends her days reading the entire content of the library or solving mysteries that even detectives can't solve.

Number of episodes: 24
Animation Production: BONES
Director: Hitoshi Nanba
Original creator: Kazuki Sakuraba http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-...me-in-the-works
Official website:
http://www.gosick.tv/

Voice Actors & Characters:
Aoi YÅ«ki
as Victorique de Blois
Takuya Eguchi as Kazuya Kujō
Hidenobu Kiuchi as Grévil
Michiko Neya as Sophie
Miyuki Sawashiro as Cordelia Gallo
Toru Ohkawa as Bryan Roscoe
Yui Kano as Cécile Sensei

Opening Theme:
"Destine Histoire" by risa
Ending Theme:
"Resuscitated Hope" by Lisa Komine

The Winter 2011 Anime Preview Guide
ANN Anime/Review Critic: Theron Martin
Rating: 4 (of 5)
His review:
Review: Amongst the early series of the new season, this one shows the most potential. Based on a light novel series, Gosick tells the story of Kujo Kazuya, a young Japanese man who has come to the fictional European country of Saubure in 1924 to attend the exclusive St. Marguerite Academy. His foreign looks and demeanor have earned him the nickname Dark Reaper (a reference to a local legend), which he detests. In one of the school's tower-like libraries he finds Victorique, a doll-like girl who speaks oddly about a “fountain of wisdom” within her but also soon proves very adept at sorting out the particulars of a recent murder. As Kujo soon learns, though, resolving the murder may only be the beginning of the story rather than the end, and Victorique represents no shortage of mysteries herself.

Last year's Dance in the Vampire Bund and the earlier Death Note and Le Portrait de Petite Cossette reaffirmed anime fandom's fascination with the blond-haired Goth loli character, but this looks like an entirely different take on the concept; in fact, the series seems determined to show that it will be different. Victorique certainly has the look down to a science - her adorable character design will undoubtedly make her highly popular - but only gives a vague tsundere vibe rather than taking the all-out approach one would normally expect here. Parts of the series seem dark, yet affectations like Inspector Grevil's ridiculous hairdo and a matter concerning luggage are clearly designed to keep the story from taking itself too seriously. Rather than making this establishing episode merely a self-contained plot, it spins things into a bigger picture at the end, and there is that ominous prophecy at the beginning, too. Victorique also embodies all sorts of her own mysteries; clearly there's a lot to dig into there. Perhaps most importantly, Kujo and Victorique are already starting to click by the beginning of the episode.

BONES makes a sharp debut this season with the artistic effort here, the series has solid fun and mystery factors going for it, and the execution of the concept feels at least somewhat fresh. That's a lot going for the series to start.

~*All information taken from ANN*~

Thoughts... Just downloaded and started watching since I have been looking forward to this one. While I lack the review skills of Mr. T. Martin, I knew from the start, this one was going to be enjoyed by yours truly and hopefully, by many more folks.
BONES does not disappoint in the quality or design of the animation style. Like their lovely use of colors, detailed clothing and design, the landscapes...you name it. Music is wonderful too, I especially liked the EP.
What is most interesting and will be wonderful to watch is the relationship that will develop between the handsome young lad, Kazuya Kujō and the beautiful and amusing and mysterious, Victorique. She is a sight to behold...I already know I will adore her almost as much as another lovely blond loli heroine of mine.
rolleyes.gif
She is smart, and inquisitive, with a sense of mystery about her as well. I hope more will be revealed as the story unravels...plus, she has a penchant for a pipe...a'la Sherlock Holmes...
wink.gif
Looking forward to more mystery, scary urban legends and Goth Loli fashion...

Apparently this is the one to watch this season. I wouldnt know since Im always out of the loop.

While I was not blown away, the episode got progressively better. Im not really a fan of lolis and Victorique's brattish behaviour kinda annoyed me to an extent. Also, I guess her smoking pipe accessory is a character quirk but I found it slightly odd and maybe uncouth for a girl. Maybe its because I associate it too much with Sherlock Holmes.

The only character that really stood out was the egotistical detective.

Anyway, as she solved the crime, I started to admire her deductive skills. I hope that her deductive abilities are not mystical, and at some point we get to see her thought process. In general, I hope they play down the supernatural elements and in most cases, the crimes are logical.

Animation had a nice use of pastische colours. I especially liked the scenery at the end with the homage to the O' so classic mystery cruiser. No doubt horror is in store.

Basically the main draw for me is the mystery and how they solved it. Im sure there is a lot of promising development for Victorique (cant say the same about Kujo). Im probably going to see this one through.

I will use this as a warm up for Sherlock Holmes 2 out later this year
biggrin.gif
. (Man crush on Robert Downey Jr).

QUOTE (franzoir @ Jan 07 2011, 05:29 PM) Apparently this is the one to watch this season. I wouldnt know since Im always out of the loop.

While I was not blown away, the episode got progressively better.
The only character that really stood out was the egotistical detective.
Anyway, as she solved the crime, I started to admire her deductive skills. I hope that her deductive abilities are not mystical, and at some point we get to see her thought process. In general, I hope they play down the supernatural elements and in most cases, the crimes are logical.
Animation had a nice use of pastische colours. I especially liked the scenery at the end with the homage to the O' so classic mystery cruiser. No doubt horror is in store.

^ Ah...she is young, yet.
wink.gif
I really hope (in secret) she is a thousand years old and has been solving the unspeakable since ancient times.
wink.gif
But who knows since we just started out?
rolleyes.gif
As to her pipe, well, tis unique and quirky and different...I think it will add to Victorie's charm. Loved the hair on the dandy detective...he will be fun to watch as he cuts quite a dashing and loud figure.
tongue.gif

Anyway, a fun watch is in store, for me.
wink.gif

I kind of like this cute little detectivette Conan. Her Goth Loli wardrobe, her cute little unlit pipe and mysterious background (why is she only allowed out with that silly detective's permission). Like franzoir, I'd be disappointed to find out that her deductive abilities are mystical. There certainly seems to be an occult undertone to the show, but possibly that is all it is, and actually nothing magical is happening at all. That would be my preference.

smile.gif
Now this makes me happy. A good first episode with some interesting characters and story. Victorique is mysterious and seems to have a hidden background. She definitely carries this episode to a higher level. Kazuya as her doctor Watson seems to be fine but he needs more depth to really be the character who tells the story.
To get back to the story..it felt to have rushed the part between Kazuya and Victorique. To see them go on the train and to the boat etc. felt to go too fast. I would have loved to see something more of a discussion between them.
Still it was a very good begin for this series so i hope that this series will get even better.

A nice first ep, but just as nijlandp alread said it was too rushed. Especially Kazuyas behaviour isnt really understandable. It looks like he is her servant since birth instead of just meeting a few days ago. And overall there wasnt really that much of an explanation on anything, just a jumping from one scene to the next. Sure it is good to get to plot without delay but here it was far too quick.

Victorique is a really nice character and I really like her personality.
But why a loli? Couldnt they made her something useful? I mean if there is only one mainheroine, than she should at least be an eyecandy and not something like that.

Well after seeing the first episode I have to say that it shows promise here. Oddly enough it feels like a good mystery series to watch it would seem. Never the less I feel like this would pass the time before hoping to see a second season of something else around this gendre of course.
tongue.gif

For once I actually have to agree with Killer Ossi. Would have been better if Victorique wasnt' a loli. Very incongruous. I also agree that the first ep was very rushed. The director apparently had no idea of pacing whatsoever. Some of the scenes just suddenly skip time/rush to another place with no indication that the character is going there.

Still, for me at least the culprit was too obvious. They told us the murder weapon, who had the weapon, and that the room was locked, and the victim was shot in the eye. Maybe that set up is new for some people, but if you've read or seen enough mysteries, the whole shot through the keywhole thing is relatively common. I was really hoping it would actually be something else, that they were fooling me.

The premise is equally troubling. What's the point of a mystery if she can use magic to solve it at any time? Getting all the clues and trying to figure it out yourself is the fun part. Having a main character who doesn't need to bother doing that is kind of....

@Franzoir & AccipiterF1: There's a small part, maybe 30 seconds long where she explains that she's solving the crime with magic. It's not overt, but from the way she talks about "fragments of chaos", combined with the abstract artwork, you can tell that's where it's going. Her magic ability also explains why her relative (probably brother/uncle) Grevil (the detective) is keeping her imprisoned in the library

Normally I would hold out hope that this might get better, but I have a feeling that the direction will be poor throughout, given the director's record: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=...&creatorid=5732

i just rewatched the first episode. Anyone noticed the first part in the library? The name of the ghost ship that appears on stormy nights is called the queen berry..and what is the name of the ship they get on at the end of the episode. Right, the queen berry. Nice
biggrin.gif

Is GOSICK a play on how Japs pronounce gothic? It's been bugging me ever since I saw the title and watched the first episode.

@nijlandp

IIRC it's been hinted as early as the OP.

QUOTE (khael @ Jan 12 2011, 05:01 AM) Is GOSICK a play on how Japs pronounce gothic? It's been bugging me ever since I saw the title and watched the first episode.
That does seem to be what they are going for, yes.

Excellent! Simply excellent. Lately I have been hyper critical of anime in general but with episode two I have hopes again of intelligence storycraft in anime. I feel like I was needlessy critical of episode one.

The familiar setting yet nuances in storytelling was greatly appreciated. Whilst the mystery had certain nods and winks to great mystery classics, the design had slight differences which made it new and fun to watch.

I am also warming up to Victorique (and Kujo to a lesser extent). Her laugh. Wow! You can tell she is a purely rational being, not an ounce of emotion within her. That where Kujo comes in. Why would he makes the unnecessary action of trying to protect Victrorique? Irrational! Illogical! But maybe emotions is where transcendant intelligence is found. Something the young Victorique would not understand. If anything, Kujo is more of a mystery to her then vice versa. Perhaps, that is why they need each other. However, like most people who try to forgo their emotions, there must lie a source of great pain. I guess the man in the OP may has something to do with that.

As for Maurice who flipped out at the end, I can only assume the gun is rigged. Let that be a lesson to you kids, dont believe the films that its cool to hold a gun sideways.

Anyway, hopefully it can sustain the mystery. Im getting quite enthralled, as you can probably tell.

"Have a roll, quibbler."
tongue.gif
Only kawaii Victorie-chan could get away with a line like that...funny. But soon, Kujo-kun and Victorie-chan are caught up in a Agatha Christie-like "who-dunnit" murder mystery. It seems so typical for that era.
wink.gif
Too anxious to see who was behind it all...
Glad Kujo-kun stepped up to the plate to protect our little detectivette (great word btw, A~san)
wink.gif
The flashbacks of Kujo's life as a lived in Japan, and the demands made on him, will help in the future...a good example was revealed as he sought to protect her, despite his fears, imo anyway. He is no coward after all and no pansy either...I like him more as a result. I am sure we will see more of this played out.
Something tells me he did sense something when she told him, "about taking on a burden" Was she referring to herself? Her persona? Interesting...
Not sure if the underlying mystery of who she is will remain, while they engage in all sorts of mysterious adventures...here's hoping.

Wasn't the green-haired girl one of the survivors or the only survivor of that incident 10 years ago? I dunno, but she resembles the green-haired girl shown in the flashbacks, a lot.

Props to Crunchy too for that epic line. "Have a roll, quibbler." LOL

Aside from that, I also love the pipe and how Bones is practically stereotyping detective type characters.

QUOTE (khael @ Jan 16 2011, 07:32 AM)Wasn't the green-haired girl one of the survivors or the only survivor of that incident 10 years ago? I dunno, but she resembles the green-haired girl shown in the flashbacks, a lot.

Props to Crunchy too for that epic line. "Have a roll, quibbler." LOL

Aside from that, I also love the pipe and how Bones is practically stereotyping detective type characters.

You may be right. The girl did look like one of the survivors. So she may be the one who is the extra person in the room.
This episode was very good. Victorique and Kujo both had some wonderful remarks which really gave some depth to their characters. I agree with Franzoir: they seem to need each other. I also wonder what taking on a burden ment. What is Victorique hiding?
The remark of "Have a roll, quibbler" and Victoriques laugh were great. It was surprising to have such simple remarks from a calculating person.
Hopefully the next episode will be just as good.

Well with watching the second epiosde I kind of like how they are progressing this story. Although with the way things are going it kind of does the whole bit where the detective wonders into a tradgey of some sort.

Besides for Victorie to pretty much point out the obvious workins of what was going on and from the looks of it pointing out who might really be behind all of this pretty much makes me wonder if her ability is called the Detective's Athourity now.
tongue.gif

In any case it's still worth while seeing why all the stuff she packed were really all for the guy to begin with. In hindsight of things I'm sure he felt a bit bad for arguing with her before, and that maybe the reason why he helped her out. Of course he also had pretty much another reason, but that wasn't explained until this episode though.

My guess is that Juils is part of the ones who are responsible for what happens now, togther with Rixannes maid, since they both have someone whos looks like them who was on the boat ten years ago and both are about the same age. And Roxanne was their first victim. The reason is obviously revenge.
But I dont know how the actor fits in that. Maybe he too is part of them, maybe not.
But then why are they doing it on the boat? It seems too risky for me. I dont see how all the effort they put in that is really worth it.

Kujo maning up a bit was nice, but still he was a real pansy before that so I still dont really like him.
But I like Viqutorique a lot more now, except that sh is still a loli. And yes I think with burden she really means beeing acquainted with her.

And just like franzoir I too think that the gun is rigged. Or someone, either Juils or the actor are dropping their mask and are shooting first.

Well with epiosde 3 I pretty much have to say I kind of like how this series is going. Pretty much this actually did a pretty good tie-in to what happened in the first episode.

So now we know what is the story behind Victorique. It felt a bit rushed to have both the solution to the murder on the ship and this combined. Still this gives a certain atmosphere between Victorique and Kujo
smile.gif
. How will he react knowing that she is a kind of prisoner in a golden cage?

The first 2 episodes of Gosick were very interesting, especially the Umineko no Naku Koro ni like suspense in the second episode. While Victorica is a bit more moe-fied than I had anticipated, it's done in a good way. By having her voiced by Aoi Yuuki (Mina Tepes from Dance in the Vampire Bund) was also a nice touch.

As expected, the animation quality from BONES is great. The visuals, particularly the OP/ED sequence are absolutely astonishing.

The 1924 setting of the story is really brought out in the first two episodes and I don't recall seeing such a beautiful show set in that period since Le Chevalier D'Eon in 2006/2007. Nevertheless, I'm not so much interested in Kujo's character and have no idea why they decided to "make him" Japanese in this setting. In fact, I'm more interested in who Victorica really is. They called her the Golden Fairy in the first episode and I'm really curious to see how they will expand that theme.

While the second episode didn't leave the same anxious feeling that Umineko no Naku Koro ni does, I do enjoy Victorica's ridiculous intelligence despite almost never going outside. Episode 3 looks pretty much as expected but how they arrive at the result is definitely going to be the most interesting. Hopefully the 24 episode rumor stays true as various sources, including the director's blog and series's home page said it would only be a 12/13 episode series.

Preliminary Expectation: High
Preliminary Score: 8/10

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back