H264 episodes

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Status
Not open for further replies.

YellowJello

Kouhai
What is with the severe lack of H264 episodes? XviD is old, gives inferior image quality and is trying to be phased out by many groups so why is it never uploaded here?

The server dl the first ep that realease so if it was the avi/XviD first fansub.tv will have that one as in if the mkv/H264 was release first then that would be on the server for ddl. There should be torrent links if there was both version though.

btw I prefer avi =P

If Xvids and H264 files are released simultaneously, the server will usually go for the Xvid because not everyone here has powerful computers to play h264 files. It is the benefit for everyone rather than for the individual.

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Sep 27 2007, 06:07 PM) The server dl the first ep that realease so if it was the avi/XviD first fansub.tv will have that one as in if the mkv/H264 was release first then that would be on the server for ddl. There should be torrent links if there was both version though.

btw I prefer avi =P
Same here.

Though my pc is just enough for even HD x264 files I still prefer to download AVI files... Why ? Cause their specific and system requirements are lower and thus I can play them with my old black xbox and dvdplayer attached to tv set... Besides, you don't need to install tons of codecs to play avi files... Divx and latest Xvid are just enough to do so.

Yeah i prefer Xvid, it loads faster, and ive found its easier to get than h264,

I tired to watch a h264, i got the anime to load, but i couldnt get the subs to show.

The only series i watch in h264 format is Umisho for the sole purpose of i cant find a h264 version of that series.

I left this topic alone long enough I think. ;P

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Sep 28 2007, 12:14 PM)I tired to watch a h264, i got the anime to load, but i couldnt get the subs to show.
That is of no fault of H.264, since H.264 has nothing at all to do with subtitles.

QUOTE (YellowJello @ Sep 27 2007, 09:41 AM)What is with the severe lack of H264 episodes? XviD is old, gives inferior image quality and is trying to be phased out by many groups so why is it never uploaded here?
H.264 _can_ be better than Xvid. But it depends on how good the encoder was.

Anyway, the real issue is that industrial fansubbers are not willing to drop avi support. Almost none of the issues have to do with "slow" computers, maybe with HD it does but that's no excuse for avi either. Because if it did we would all release H.264 and Xvid in mkv/mp4. (some are even doing H.264 in avi, but we've flamed most of them into oblivion)

Instead it's that industrial fansubbers encourage laziness and ignorance on the part of its leechers. I suggest flaming those groups who are still releasing avi and not FTV (though I encourage FTV to stop supporting avi releases on it's servers).

I have to agree with Harukalover: H264 when used correctly is far better than Xvid. That being said ever since I installed CCCP a year or two ago I have been downloading the H264/MKV version of all the series I watch because it is higher quality, has soft subs (for all of you that can understand japanese), and in many cases is also the file with the highest resolution.

I do have to say that AVI has its uses though. If you want to give some anime to someone who has very little technical knowledge then give them shows in AVI burned onto a DVD and they can watch them on most DVD players. That being said you can always download the MKV then convert it to an AVI so that you get the best of both worlds.

Even though H264 is better the reason that fansubbers still release in AVI or at least have the option of AVI is because the majority of users download an AVI if available. I don't know why people download the AVI when given a choice but that is how it is. Check any tracker that has both AVI and H264 available and you will find that there are more seeders/leechers for the AVI.

@Harukalover: I love that last bit about flaming the H264 in AVI groups because I remember when Ayako was doing that.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Sep 29 2007, 02:44 PM)I have to agree with Harukalover: H264 when used correctly is far better than Xvid. That being said ever since I installed CCCP a year or two ago I have been downloading the H264/MKV version of all the series I watch because it is higher quality, has soft subs (for all of you that can understand japanese), and in many cases is also the file with the highest resolution.
Softsubs can be done in mkv. (avi can as well but it's stupid to do so). This is why avi needs to die and not Xvid.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Sep 29 2007, 02:44 PM)Even though H264 is better the reason that fansubbers still release in AVI or at least have the option of AVI is because the majority of users download an AVI if available. I don't know why people download the AVI when given a choice but that is how it is. Check any tracker that has both AVI and H264 available and you will find that there are more seeders/leechers for the AVI.
This could be stopped if fansubbers remember there not a corporation and are actually a volunteer group that does it for their own reasons. We have no contract that says we must support everything in the world. We should release whatever we want; and the usual goal is for quality. avi does not fit in with quality.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Sep 29 2007, 02:44 PM)@Harukalover: I love that last bit about flaming the H264 in AVI groups because I remember when Ayako was doing that.
Thank you, but I actually meant any group releasing avi at all. (including Xvid in avi). But yes, we should all flame H.264 in avi first and foremost. (serin anyone?)

EDIT: Err braino, you meant the other part. Nevermind that.

Lastly, I should mention something about slow computers and H.264.

I have a Celeron 950MHz PC that can play Standard Definition H.264 at unrestricted profile with CoreAVC without any stutter. It isn't that hard if we try is it? ;P

The ONLY reason I download Xvid, You will see...

I LOVE MKV, I prefer it actually. BUT, and this is a BIIG but, On portable devices like smartphones and PDA's h.264 is unplayable. MKV as a container is, but when coded with soft subs, they do not show, because there is no subtitle renderer on the portable devices media players. I use Coreplayer, on my PDA to watch anime behind the welcome desk while at work, but It is a real drag to run across softsubs, it feels liek a waste of time...

I have two reasons myself, first which does not apply any more was that I was running on a 700mhz duron untill about 3 months ago. (now got a used server from a doctor's office 2.4 ghz and 2 40mb 15krpm scsi hdds with my beloved x800 pro /swoon) My old computer couldn't run a h.264 file to save its own life. Second reason is i sometimes want to burn things onto cd to put in dvd player and i dont want to re-encode h264 files. Lately i have begun to download more MKV files and do enjoy greater quality
smile.gif
I'm really 50/50 on xvid vs. h264 myself. just happy to have anime.

im all for h264 and the matroska container myself, I personally re-encode anything thats not h264 into h264 mkv, better quality, smaller file size, and the processor drain is nominal as harukalover mentioned she can run it on a 950 celeron.

I have 50mb h264 files that compare to an average 175 mb avi in quality

QUOTE (nekronos @ Oct 03 2007, 10:19 AM)im all for h264 and the matroska container myself, I personally re-encode anything thats not h264 into h264 mkv, better quality, smaller file size, and the processor drain is nominal as harukalover mentioned she can run it on a 950 celeron.

I have 50mb h264 files that compare to an average 175 mb avi in quality
You re-encode to H264 if it isn't?? What is the point of that other than to reduce the size? The reason why I would tell you not to do that is because you will get a lower quality video and audio. Even if you re-encode to something with similar bitrates it will be of lesser quality because you are compressing a compressed file.

I have never seen an episode of anime in a file smaller than 100MB except in a realvideo file (which I avoid like the plague). If you have a file smaller than 100MB you usually lose a bit of quality from the audio or video, have some crazy compression which needs a lot of processor to unpack or some combination of both. Then again technology keeps getting better so maybe I am just a little old fashioned.
tongue.gif

QUOTE (langes01x @ Oct 03 2007, 01:17 PM)You re-encode to H264 if it isn't?? What is the point of that other than to reduce the size? The reason why I would tell you not to do that is because you will get a lower quality video and audio. Even if you re-encode to something with similar bitrates it will be of lesser quality because you are compressing a compressed file.
Maybe he/she filters to improve the original image? Plus makes it more compressible.

QUOTE (langes01x @ Oct 03 2007, 01:17 PM)I have never seen an episode of anime in a file smaller than 100MB except in a realvideo file (which I avoid like the plague). If you have a file smaller than 100MB you usually lose a bit of quality from the audio or video, have some crazy compression which needs a lot of processor to unpack or some combination of both. Then again technology keeps getting better so maybe I am just a little old fashioned.
tongue.gif

Check out gg fansubs' Night Head Genesis. Later episodes were around 80MB at most. Mainly because the show compressed very easily. And it looked very good. Even better than the other group (shinsens/ureshiis?) 175MB episodes.

yes i've used it for the purpose of enhancing old anime series as well as smaller file size any series

the processor req isn't that much more than avi at this lower bitrate/resolution
only h264 video i've had problems running is a 1824x992 that ran at about 4000 kbps

i have roughly 160 series (several of which are 50+ series) @ 169GB
25-30% of the original file size with 90% of the quality is well worth the time or 110% of the quality in the cases of older animations

I dont know why would anyone refuse H264, i for one prefer HD anime
biggrin.gif
...it's not just high definition is higher definition, and the tehnology is not something in the far future, the future is NOW....and you can be part of it.
So the question is this, are you afraid of the future ?
The era of crappy computers is over, i would say that a pc in the buget of 500$ can play HD easy...

QUOTE (WarAngel @ Oct 08 2007, 02:26 PM) I dont know why would anyone refuse H264, i for one prefer HD anime
biggrin.gif
...it's not just high definition is higher definition, and the tehnology is not something in the far future, the future is NOW....and you can be part of it.
So the question is this, are you afraid of the future ?
The era of crappy computers is over, i would say that a pc in the buget of 500$ can play HD easy...
H.264 has nothing to do with HD... except that Bluray or HD-DVD can use H.264. (and VC-1 and MPEG-2 as well)

ARE U FOR REAL ??????
H264 IS A HD FORMAT ...READ SOME MORE...
h**p://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264
PS : READ THE LEVELS for short, look at the resolution...
dry.gif
, it's not high definition is higher [email protected]
smile.gif

Do you have any idea how good it is to watch anime HD on a plasma tv in 1080P ?
blink.gif

Moderator's Note: Remember that this thread is in the Voice of Change, and related to changes to the site. If you would like to discuss the aspects of H264/HD please make it on-topic or use another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back