Megaupload Shutdown

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Here is an article about an IRC Op who was an FBI target.. here is what she said in some of the article below.

http://gawker.com/5757995/an-interview-wit...anonymous-probe

How'd they find you?

They found me through the IRC. I did not make myself a particularly hard person to track down, because I did not believe and still do not believe that I am worth prosecuting. I am harmless. The warrant said they were looking for anything that could be used to hack or infiltrate. I do not hack or infiltrate. Everything I know about computers I have learned since November. That is if you can consider a Macintosh a computer.

Interesting article...

http://occupymartinsburg.org/archives/630

Here is a new protest "Black March"...

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/012012/...ack%20march.jpg

ohmy.gif
I smell a backdoor of SOPA/PIPA and that is ACTA and you will love this "...ACTA was first developed by Japan and the United States in 2006". I found this info on another site...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterf...Trade_Agreement

Official website: http://www.ustr.gov/about-us/press-office/...eiting-trade-ag

Signatories: United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea

Negotiating parties: Australia, Canada, the European Union, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Switzerland and the United States

QUOTE (blanmgr @ Jan 26 2012, 04:32 AM)Here is an article about an IRC Op who was an FBI target.. here is what she said in some of the article below.

http://gawker.com/5757995/an-interview-wit...anonymous-probe

How'd they find you?

They found me through the IRC.

blanmgr, kindly stop scaremongering.

The article you linked has nothing to do with this debate at all. The person in that article had an op in anonymous' irc channel. There by appearing to be a staff member of the hacking group. Thats totally different from an average irc anime leecher who downloads from irc bots. Ofcourse on IRC or anywhere it is easy to find a person's IP address, and the authorities can easily request that person's identify from their ISP. For something as major as trying to track down anon, obviously there going to do a raid.

The FBI are not going to raid your house for downloading from an irc bot. If your running the bot and its distributing something serious, then its a different matter entirely. Copyright infringment is a civil matter. Piracy is a more serious offense which they will go after themselves. Piracy has to be on a larger scale. For example copying 1 cd for a friend Vs mass producing fake CDs and selling them on.

I think the key issue with the cyberlockers and megaupload was that they were making a large amount of money from it, and encourageing it. Ie they were suporting mass piracy on a large scale and making a large profit, and also the case seemed to include money laundering as well, which is serious enough on its own for the FBI to go after them.

Also note that the MPAA is acting for hollywood, thats where the FBI's pressure comes from, there not making anime. MU had lots of different things on it, I would suspect a lot of movies etc. If you compare that to us, all we're doing is unlicensed anime fansubs - ie stuff which isnt even sold in the US. I don't think for a minute we should be complacent, but I think we're a little bit further down the scale than the likes of fileserve et al.

My point here is that it needs to be put in perspective, theres no point in making people afraid to use IRC, there are lots of things which the authorities look for on IRC and have monitored it for years, but a chat between a normal user and a bot (and its transfer) is not one of them. Things which are visable in a channel or said to an undercover agent are different, they don't require anything special to do. Intercepting traffic from a bot is more work, requires a warrent and usually cost time and money, there not going to do that unless they think theres something going on there that is relevant to their investigation.

Please forgive me if it seemed like I was scaremongering.

The difference is that last year there was a major situation that the FBI had to act but now they actively investigating file sharing hosts. Since FBI are acting on the behalf of the MPAA, where do you think the next place they will investigate to see if the IRC networks are hosting these files. All they need is to find one file.

As for ACTA, I spent about two hours reading the web of documents about the enforcement of the ACTA. First the EU commision stated that ACTA is not SOPA but you have to continue how they are defining piratcy and it enforcment. Here are some excerpts;

"It appears that all Member States provide for damages in cases of wilful or negligent infringements of intellectual property rights (Article 13(1)). However, some Member States also award damages for infringements committed in 'good faith' (Article 13(2)), and therefore the mere existence of an infringement is a sufficient justification for the rightholder to claim damages..."

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUri...1589:FIN:EN:pDF

Now this is what is interesting not scaremongering. They EU using ACTA if passed is making this matter not "Civil" but "Criminal". There is a lot of money behind these pushes for action other than the MPAA.

Here you see what they are doing. I did not create this and it is a true fact what is going on.

"3. ABSENCE OF HARMONIZED PROTECTION OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS THROUGH CRIMINAL LAW

Counterfeiting and piracy appears to be increasingly linked to organised crime raising security and safety concerns and is also proven to be spreading over the Internet. Therefore measures taken against cybercrime at EU level should be seen as relevant and complementary to the legislative and non legislative measures taken and to be taken in the civil and criminal area.

Despite the fact that almost all Member States provide for criminal measures to protect intellectual property rights, the disparities between the national definitions of the kind and level of penalties for the various infringements of intellectual property rights may make it difficult to combat these infringements effectively..."

I am not scaremongering and please forgive me if I was. I am purely discussing information that I thought was revelent. What is being attacked is not just licensed material but unlicensed material. They are also stating that the protection of IP (Intellectual Property) is just as high on the list.

ohmy.gif
  I smell a backdoor of SOPA/PIPA and that is ACTA and you will love this "...ACTA was first developed by Japan and the United States in 2006". I found this info on another site...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterf...Trade_Agreement

Official website: http://www.ustr.gov/about-us/press-office/...eiting-trade-ag

Signatories: United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea

Negotiating parties: Australia, Canada, the European Union, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Switzerland and the United States

Since the US and Japan are the original developers of ACTA in 2006 , do not you think that this is a backdoor for enforcement especially with all the signatories of ACTA?

Enforcement and investigation would be very costly if done alone. Remember when the US FBI was not sharing information with InterPol but now they are. The US is not working alone on this. You have all those signatories working togerther on this. Working as a group this is not very costly on the scale they are looking at.

BL

You can add the European Union on the list of signatories of ACTA :'(
The signing ceremony was held today at Tokyo: EU and its Member States that signed the Agreement at this ceremony are: the EU, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom

Source: http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/economy/i_pro...y/acta1201.html

QUOTE (daedalron @ Jan 26 2012, 02:55 PM) You can add the European Union on the list of signatories of ACTA :'(
The signing ceremony was held today at Tokyo: EU and its Member States that signed the Agreement at this ceremony are: the EU, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom

Source: http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/economy/i_pro...y/acta1201.html
Well now it's the end of internet... Really... SOPA/ACTA/PIPA... I live in Belgium and I saw on your link that Belgium signed for ACTA... Now I wonder what kind of measure they will take and to what extend...

It's kind of funny how in one hand they want to censor and control internet and how in the other end they want us to believe that the society as it is now is good for us... *sigh*

I've spent some time to research and compile this list. Megaupload was one of the best file hosting sites, fast speeds, unlimited downloads during happy hours, large storage limits, etc. I lost a lot of files including school and work documents. I made a list of real alternatives to megaupload. Only sites with minimal restrictions for downloading, large storage limits, and high popularity/reliability are listed here. The Alexa rank for those who are unfamiliar, is an indicator of how popular a site is, I included it to distinguish the popular/reliable sites from new unproven sites.

jumbofiles.com
Benefits: 500GB storage space, unlimited parallel downloads, can resume broken downloads, download accelerator support
Restrictions: 1GB file size limit
Other positives: No CAPTCHA, no timer, remote http upload, FTP upload
Alexa rank: (4977) friend introduced me to this site last month, great features, still using them today.

fileflyer.com
Benefits: Unlimited storage space
Restrictions: 2GB file size, no file manager, only 1 download at a time (no parallel downloading)
Other positives: No CAPTCHA, no timer
Alexa rank: (22513) not as popular as the other sites here but they are seemingly owned by makers of the popular Download Accelerator Plus.

2shared.com
Benefits: Unlimited parallel downloads, can resume broken downloads, download accelerator support
Restrictions: 1GB file size limit, no file manager
Other positives: No CAPTCHA, no timer, can search files
Alexa rank: (3397) I love being able to search the files at this site and you can "watch" what files are being downloaded.

zshare.net
Restrictions: 1GB file size limit, 50 seconds timer, only 1 download at a time, download accelerator support
Alexa rank: (1947) one of the oldest file hosting sites online since 2005, still using them today.

ifile.it
Benefits: Unlimited storage space, up to 2 parallel downloads, can resume broken downloads
Restrictions: 300MB file size limit, have to enter ReCAPTCHA to download
Other positives: No timer
Alexa rank: (2594) got a nice file manager, I don't use them that much now after they started requiring ReCAPTCHA to download.

sendspace.com
Restrictions: 500MB file size limit, only 1 download at a time
Alexa rank: (1385) downloads are limited and slow but they have Android and iPhone apps available for their site.

mediafire.com
Benefits: Unlimited storage space, unlimited parallel downloads, can resume broken downloads, download accelerator support
Restrictions: 200MB file size limit
Other positives: Fast downloads, I can max out my 6mbps DSL!
Alexa rank: (67) the next biggest file hosting site after megaupload, very popular and trusted by many users around the world, I upload to here regularly.

If you know of any other file hosting site with below 5000 Alexa ranking, minimal download restrictions, and large storage space, let me know so I can update this list. Real alternatives only, not sites like rapidshare with 5 minute timers and hours of wait time between downloads.

Seems like FileServe is back ?
I managed to dl some anime again from it, and it's even better than before. No captcha, no waiting time to dl, ...

QUOTE (daedalron @ Jan 31 2012, 02:39 PM) Seems like FileServe is back ?
I managed to dl some anime again from it, and it's even better than before. No captcha, no waiting time to dl, ...
Could you provide a test link?
I think fileserve may have implemented a file check system that prevents people from re-uploading content that they have removed before.

I have been using rapidshare and netload a lot more recently and have been getting stuff from hotfile as well. I'm glad to hear that fileserve is back and the no waiting times is awesome.
biggrin.gif

Two things to respond to this Maiku-dono.

First, I receintly saw ADDL on a site I've ben using, and when the servers aren't acting up they seem to be much better then how DepositFiles are doing as of late.

Second, since when did lolipwer go down?
blink.gif

I mean I knew about it being somewhat of a redirecting site sort of deal, but I wasn't sure if it had any ddls on it.
unsure.gif

I use to use Lolipower a lot back in the day but about 2 years ago, I was NEVER able to download from the site, I do check the site once every blue moon but just could not download from there. I know it is a sad thing that the site is dead but it was hilarious when I just visited it where the slogan is "Loli grew up". The IRC channel works but no one is there, so I'm assuming its soon-to-be-dead.

I raise my glass to lolipower.org, thank you for the good times.

I've never used DDLAnime but looks like the site is alive in terms of forum but how where you suppose to download from this site anyway?

Apparently its moving to a new server or something: -

http://ddlani.me/?op=news

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back