More Streaming Tests

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

daft27

-nya
Retired
These streams require 30kb/s to stream and use up about 1/5 of the original high quality video in size. Please comment about the quality and performance and what you would like to see changed. Your opinions please.

Additional tests:
http://kanna.fansub.tv/rec01test.html

I think it's fine as it is now. The quality isn't as good as a RMVB file. But it's still watchable and small in size. Also the resolution is fine aswell, not to small and not to big. But are you planning to stream complete episode's in the future? Because i think that will use up alot of bandwith if you have to many episode's streamed. Or are you only streaming promo's and small episode's like for example REC and Binchoutan (episode's smaller then 12 minutes)

streaming full episode would be really nice. It would really make FTV standout of the croud of fansub sites!

To minimize bandwidth, I have an idea. It would take less bandwidth if it was a single stream coming from the server. So if everyone sees the same thing, it reduces the processing on the server a lot.

So using a single thread who would server the episode to everyone in a list of machine that want to receive it would minimized processing needs on the server side. Everyon sees the same thing and you can't pause, but its like a cinema. You can watch it while you wait to get out of queue to erceive your favorite anime. And it can make you discover a new series you never taugth of.

For the bandwidth, using multicast packets would solve the problem. (it is theorycly doable as long as everyone sees teh same thing) But I am not sure how practicle this idea is. I am not sure the current streaming technology used by FTV supports multicast.

As for the stream itself, a volume control would be nice. Not just a mute button.

I'm on 384k DSL. In South Africa, we have caps. Currently, a ping to www.fansub.tv takes about 370 miliseconds for each packet. If I'm not loading anything else, it's fine for streaming.

Please consider making it a link to a stream and not right on the front page. It's a good idea but because I'm limited on how much I can transfer, I have flashblock for firefox.

I would prefer to dl the promo and watch it in full quality reather than stream it.

Slows my several year old computer to a crawl when I view it. Flash is fine, but the problem is that something like this needs to be optional, ie, not on the front page. Besides, wouldn't that 30k/s per viewer be more useful if it was used to clear the download queues faster?

What I love most about fansub.tv is that it's my #1 resource for seeing what new fansubs have been released, NOT because it's some kind of multimedia experience.

If it's okay to make suggestions here, I have a couple. Rather than a more stylish site, I'd like to see a more substantive and useful site.

I'd like to be able to set up a personal RSS stream so that when my fave animes are released, the torrents are added to my Azureus queue automagically - this is tech built into the BT client. For other BT clients, users could subscribe to email alerts.

I'd like to see the anidb/anime encyclopedia entries included on more series pages. There are a lot of shows listed here that have entries on those sites, but that data isn't listed here as it should be.

I'd like the big anime rec on the front page to not take up the entire screen, and to rotate a little more often than once a month.

I'd like to see Amazon-style reviews on the series pages, including "Users who like this series also watch ..." data.

I'd like to see this forum integrated more closely into the rest of the site, so that threads can be contextually matched with the related series. I'd like to see appropriate ads ON the forum pages, so long as they aren't distracting or totally spammy.

I consider fansub.tv my top fansub resource, and I usually check it at least twice a day. Resources are useful. Embedded youtube knockoffs aren't useful.

HTH
smile.gif

QUOTE (xhale @ Mar 1 2006, 08:30 AM) Slows my several year old computer to a crawl when I view it. Flash is fine, but the problem is that something like this needs to be optional, ie, not on the front page. Besides, wouldn't that 30k/s per viewer be more useful if it was used to clear the download queues faster?
The videos are encoded using Sorenson Video 3 codec, a variation of the cpu intensive H.263 codec. As for getting it onto the front page, it was the best place to run the test since the home page is the page that gets the most entrance-page hits. It'll give me the most feedback in the shortest amount of time. The new FTVD v3 doesn't use download queues so there's really nothing to clear. You're going to get fairly consistent speeds from start to finish. The beta test for the code seems to be holding up pretty well during this test run and I would like to make some more changes to it before I make the move from v2 to v3 on the other servers.

As for the bandwidth consumption, widespread use of the streaming videos may actually reduce total bandwidth use. If a person is satisfied with just the stream and does not download the HQ version, then it means 4 other people can stream it w/o incurring an increased bandwidth cost.
smile.gif

Your other suggestions are good but they belong in their own threads (create one for each idea under Voice of Change) since it's hard to reply to them here without being off topic.

haha, I watched the episode just now. I looooove the new feature. Gotta watch the rest of the episodes for REC now
tongue.gif

QUOTE So using a single thread who would server the episode to everyone in a list of machine that want to receive it would minimized processing needs on the server side. Everyon sees the same thing and you can't pause, but its like a cinema. You can watch it while you wait to get out of queue to erceive your favorite anime. And it can make you discover a new series you never taugth of.

I like that idea, and under the video box there could be a message box. We could comment things happening in the episode while watching it with the others
biggrin.gif

I'm testing : Shinigami's Ballad Trailer.
Tested IK. Quality is noticable.

I think it's good to put trailers on the front page.

A no queue DL?
Please make it so.

im pretty fine with it, its good that you we get the option to start the clip now. the quality and size is good as it is

It's been a long time since we've used a streaming video format on the front page. Is this something you would like to see more of on Fansub.TV?

=[ i can't seem to view the page but i think it'd be a good idea - however, having it on the front page... ahh i don't think that it'd be a great thing but for the testing period it can give quite alot of feedback in a short time. if we could have a seperate link/page for streaming videos that'd be cool
biggrin.gif
as for everything else i agree with what everyone has said so far
happy.gif
but this is going to be something like a cinema where a single episode is chosen for a period of time and that is all we're going to stream or are we going to stream the latest anime episodes that we have available to download? or are we even going to have a selection of shows to choose from?

I uses to love it before when it was on here and I wasnt either a sempai or fansub.tv member. I really like it when Disgaea promo was on it before...although I could never found the avi for the promo which suck...oh well

Was u the one who code the button and video clip within the swf itself? or u ask some to do it haha.

I am doing something with flash for my final project so im just curious =P.
Making me a media player I can take around without actually putting the music on the player itself but it be in the swf. =)

Yeah, um i made the swf. on the front page I take credit for the mistakes made to it if any? I looked over it many times. As for something different or a change; I will be changing the background to the next anime we put up. I know many people will have concerns as this is just a test. Maybe multiple scenes and buttons in the coming version but right now we will use basic scripting.
Loading up multiple videos in the swf. is not hard but not easy and can make the file size huge. If anyone has more ideas PM me or post in this topic.

Thank You for your support in this FTV project!

QUOTE (Kansatsusha-sama @ Feb 10 2008, 10:06 PM) Was u the one who code the button and video clip within the swf itself? or u ask some to do it haha.
Yes, The menu on the video clip uses Jscript, the program Flash CS3 did that for me, I'm sorry i did not make that.

QUOTE (samthebear @ Feb 10 2008, 09:49 PM) but this is going to be something like a cinema where a single episode is chosen for a period of time
The opening of the anime, not a full episode; I hope that is what you mean? To answer that yes, One opening per recommended anime as of right now. I'm not sure if putting a whole episode would work well with daft.

QUOTE (MKK2004 @ Feb 11 2008, 01:21 AM) All I have to say about this; LOL pink lolis~ It must be Kansa idea to use that picture....lol
lol, I noticed that to. wonder where that influence came from?
laugh.gif

I like the idea of the streaming anime intros for the "show of the month" thing rather than the random image of that show. I think it makes the homepage look cleaner, more sophisticated. I think it would be a great feature to keep.

But streaming actual episodes? I think that could be a cool feature. It would free up some server load, only having to stream a lower-quality video for someone who may not want to donate his last few megabytes of hard drive space to some random show he/she's never seen before. I'd totally use it to scope out prospective new animes that I"m checking out, but only if there'd be some decent quality, like a nice looking 320x240 stream. That would cut it for me, I'd use it (assuming a decent video player, of course).

...but the site is still very cool as it is, either way.

...and it seems like the homepage gets pinker and pinker every time I log on. Pink text, pink bars, pink mascot, and now pink lolis!... not that there's anything wrong with the color pink! <.< ... >.> ... <.< ... or with lolis!!! >.> ... <.< ... >.> ... *jumps out the window in shame*

...yes
tongue.gif

streaming the intros at the recommendation section seem a nice & good feature. but since my internet connection speed is so-so; i need few minutes to dload that
dry.gif
. but i'm no problem with that since its not automatically stream each time i open the main page/site. just one thing, maybe a selection of several anime recommendations of the month (i.e: a list) also might be good promotion.
biggrin.gif

but if this feature is decided not-to-be, inserting multiple screen shot (like we view the respective anime episode) is definitely i think is better than the single big random image
blink.gif

dōmo arigatō~

I think it's cool. Though I agree, the front page is getting quite pink
laugh.gif

It would be interesting to incorporate a stream sample of each show onto it's main page (where you download the episodes). But as for this, I like it a lot better than the old streaming format (giant youtube box).

QUOTE (MKK2004 @ Feb 11 2008, 03:21 AM)All I have to say about this; LOL pink lolis~ It must be Kansa idea to use that picture....lol
No it would have been Primula if I made it =P.

Well Nice one JamJum by any chance I can take a look at the .fla for the action script and stuff ^^ My comp can read it it have both flash 8 and cs3 flash haha.

The gaint Youtube stuff was code made already in this case JamJum did the flash and daft put it on the front page.

QUOTE (Jamjum @ Feb 11 2008, 03:03 AM)Yeah, um i made the swf. on the front page I take credit for the mistakes made to it if any? I looked over it many times. As for something different or a change; I will be changing the background to the next anime we put up. I know many people will have concerns as this is just a test. Maybe multiple scenes and buttons in the coming version but right now we will use basic scripting.
Loading up multiple videos in the swf. is not hard but not easy and can make the file size huge. If anyone has more ideas PM me or post in this topic.

Thank You for your support in this FTV project!

Yes, The menu on the video clip uses Jscript, the program Flash CS3 did that for me, I'm sorry i did not make that.

Yea you can tell me about it File size huge my media player oii I had to save different file for more song because it didnt want to save anymore or it was saving slow... since I remember I can import an external library im good now =) although I didnt even get started with the graphic and some of the coding but my pretest did work for a smaller one. It consist of external music link though. Also you can also say it kill alot of ram doing what im doing...

to answer daft's question: hell yeah I'd like to see more of this
happy.gif

I think it's a lot better than the youtube stream
happy.gif
(at least I like it more like this)
the quality is good
but instead of opening songs, how about trailers to the anime (the current way I might pass an anime if I only see the opening, though the opening can sometimes be a trailer....)

as to the colour pink, I love it
happy.gif
(yeah I'm a guy and I like the colour pink, sue me
dry.gif
)
I'm not a loli fan, but the loli's are OK from my point of view

keep up the great work daft, and jammy
happy.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back