Router Restarts when >200kb/s

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

hamasusuke

-aniue
Retired
Yup, there's a similar problem to this, but this is my problem, so I'll fortify.

Anyways, I've been having some technical issues with my router restarting everytime I go over my seemingly moderate speed (which is around 200kb/s) to my current speed (usually 300kb/s) for at least a large number of seeders sending to me. For one thing, this is affecting all my local computers, including those that are on wireless connections.

Right now, I lowered my bandwidth limit to around 150kb/s, but at the time I want it to go back to my usual speed without disconnecting from my broadband connection. This has probably been going on for 2 weeks now without my notification (using information from dates of when I added torrents to when they were completed).

Also, if you think you know the problem to it, I'd really appreciate it. Here's my router info:
Make: 2wire (ATT-provided modem + router)
Model: 2701HG-B

Until then, I'll just disconnect and reconnect while my torrent is on, so that something actually completes. Even with my bandwidth limited at 150kb/s, it still disconnects, but not as often anymore. Still disconnects a lot though.

I had the same problem a while back (my thread should be around here somewhere, not locked I believe, u might wanna lock it
tongue.gif
) link to thread

one question I wanna ask you: are you connecting to the internet via a PPPoE connection ?

if yes, continue reading to see my workaround, if not, sorry, can't help
sad.gif

my solution consisted in dropping the built-in Windows XP PPPoE client and go for the RASPPPoE PPPoE client details and download here

everything now works as it should, no more disconnecting torrents, nothing
biggrin.gif

hope it helps, if not, sorry for intruding
sad.gif

heh, 2wire products suck. Unfortunately, it's not easy to find router/dsls anymore. If you can get your hands on a netgear(aka 3COM) or cisco dsl/router, you'd probably solve this problem.

Financially speaking, I'd rather stay away from getting another router, let alone setting everything up needed to start using the router correctly on a wireless workspace.

@BaAkaTheOne: I'm not under a PPPoE connection. Since I'm around my local network and such, and since it's a home thing, I didn't really need it nor did my ISP provide any of such. Awhile ago I called my ISP if I can get PPPoE instead of a static broadband connection, but they charged a bit more for PPPoE service, especially for my home phone line.

Anyways, keep the ideas rolling.

I would try limiting the number of connections rather than the speed, I think some routers are unable to keep track of the massive numbers of simultaneous connections that bittorrent clients tend to open. A router needs to make an entry in its routing table for each connection, if this overflows the router will probably crash. I've noticed that if I tell my bittorrent program not to open more than 50 connections then things go smoother and the speed is just as fast. Without setting a limit, I've seen torrent clients connect to 200-300 peers/seeds which can cause problems. Generally speaking you will only be actively downloading from half a dozen peers/seeds anyhow, so limiting the total connections won't make a huge difference in most cases.

Hmm, that seems like a plausible reasoning and solution. I'll give it a try once new torrents are out. I want to see if I can still exceed 200kb/s altogether with 5 torrents. I'll probably test it with 50 max connections as well.

Okay, here's my experimental run.

I changed the max download speed to 300 kb/s, and kept the upload speed compared to the download speed at a 5-to-3 ratio, which is my usual setting. At this point, I also changed the max number of connections, which is now 50 max global, 50 max downloads slots per torrent and 20 max upload slots. This is using uTorrent, by the way.

Anyways, downloading only 3 torrents, it seems like the connection is back to being stable and the router doesn't restart. However, I find that the downside is that my max download speed at the moment hasn't reached over 100kb/s, which is disappointing. Whatmore, it doesn't seem like, altogether, the max connection slots hasn't even been reached yet; it's been staying under 40 slots since then.

If anybody can analyze this information, maybe there could be a good setting for me.

If you haven't reached the max you set, maybe the torrents are simply not very busy ones, I would check the stats on the tracker site.

Also, if you are using ADSL, which has slower upload than download, then make sure bittorrent upload speed limit is less than your connection speed, as some upload bandwidth is needed to acknowledge incoming packets. Whatever your download speed is, you need to keep about 5% of that amount free on the upload side or the downloading will slow down due to acknowledgements being delayed. E.g. my max upload speed is 50KB/sec so I set bittorrent to 40KB/sec upload which should be ok for around 200KB/sec download.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back