Search this thread

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Do you think this would be a good idea?

• Yes, It'd be really helpful!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeah, I might use it...

• No, would probably be a waste of effort...

• No, sounds like a horrible idea!

• Total voters

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos
Retired
So, I've found myself a few times wishing that we had an option to do a search within only a specific thread, rather than for a section of the forum. This would be particularly helpful in threads like the anime/drama/game music threads - so that you can do a search to see if something has already been uploaded before you either upload it yourself or request it.
For example, if you did a search for 'Air Gear OST' - you would get lots and lots of returns, but the majority of them would be from the Air Gear thread, or other threads that happen to mention Air Gear. If I could search just the Anime Music thread though, I could look for 'Air Gear' - and would get only the returns concerning Air Gear in that thread. Not only would this mean fewer returns (and thus an easier search) - but also would mean that you could find things even if they are put under different names (for example, if you search for "Air Gear OST" - including the quotes - you will not find the second OST because the second OST is referred to as "Air Gear Sountrack2" - and if you don't know that, you have to wade through several pages of search returns to find it.

Searching within only a particular thread would also have benefits for other threads if you are looking for references to a particular episode, character, etc. In the riddle thread, you could check for a particular riddle to make sure it hasn't been posted before. So on and so forth.

I think it would be a good idea, so give your thoughts!

i say yay. cant count how many times i've had to wade through pages and pages of a thread just to find something in particular =.= it would deffinately help in searching particular things and hopefully reduce the number to repeat threads.

Well I'm glad that everyone seems to approve of the idea, though no one seems to want to post their approval or reasons or whatever. But regardless, *posts to get more attention* vote!! Need more support~
8 people is hardly the majority of users at FTV. Even if you don't post your reasons or whatever, I'd appreciate it if you voted in the poll to at least show that people think it would be a good/bad idea.

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Mar 11 2008, 02:18 PM)Well I'm glad that everyone seems to approve of the idea, though no one seems to want to post their approval or reasons or whatever. But regardless, *posts to get more attention* vote!! Need more support~

Ask and ye shall receive!
tongue.gif
I rarely use the search function but the few times I have used it I have fallen foul of the same problem you mention (perhaps if they had this feature I would make more searches)! It would certainly speed up my searches!... Looks at the This and that thread.
dry.gif
The good news is never ending! At the time of writing there have been 10 votes (including mine) with a unanimous consensus that your idea is a sound one!

@ samthebear: The people who make repeat threads do not search for existing threads anyway (that's partly why they happen in the first place). So making the search function more advanced is not going to solve that problem.

*pushes the thread into view so that more people will vote*
I'd really like to get some more support for this, and would be really cool if some of the Team would comment; and amazing if Daft came in and approved.
I still think it's a great idea~

lol dchaosblade.. you're such a nag
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

well yeah I think it might come in handy once in a while. I don't use the search feature that often though, but I could imagine a noob wanting to create a new thread and not sure if there already was one because the searchfeature coughed up 926384584735 pages of threads in which the words could appear XDD

so yeh you got my vote. dunno where daft is though, busy or something
tongue.gif

Yeah, I'm a nag, so sue me. It's for a good cause, so I'm allowed
tongue.gif
Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

That aside though, I think you misunderstood the concept. The idea is to be able to search within an individual thread. This would make it really easy to find out when a certain episode, song, person, etc was mentioned in a particular thread; but it would NOT assist people in making sure a thread already exists. The point is you are searching the thread rather than the section.

Sooo...lets say I wanted to see if/when Naruto anime was licensed. I could go into the licensed anime thread, and search for naruto, and I'd only get hits referring to Naruto IN the licensed anime thread rather than getting a million hits because people say "naruto" in a million different threads as a reference or whatnot.
or...If I wanted to find that Air Gear OST that was released. I can look up Air Gear in the Anime Music thread, and would only get the few posts that mention air gear, rather than the million posts where people say "Air Gear" and "OST" in a million other places - such as the Air Gear thread and anywhere else people think of mentioning or referencing it.

It would prevent users from asking questions in that thread that have already been asked before (so no one will request the Air Gear OST in the Anime Music thread, because it's already been released and the search is short and easy with no more than a page of results), or say something that has already been said.

Anyway~ I should probably pay attention to my TA rather than playing around on FTV... *looks back at the board and tries to figure out what the hell he missed* I hate java...

Well yeah, that was somewhat my point too XD
right now, you'd have to search the whole boards, or the whole section for that one particular subject.
so if you enter Naruto OST now in the search engine, you also get thousands of threads that got "naruto" mentioned sometimes.
with a thread search feature, it could be a bit more easier to find the thing you've been looking for in one section.

or something like that XD

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back