Summer 2010 Preview

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ausdoerrt

-sama
Retired
Soo, summer is upon us, since recently, as is the new season. Once again, I'm no authority on making long and detailed previews threads like Kit or JCD are, so I'll just dump some links I found and my expectations here. Feel free to move this stuff around.

http://namelissis.wordpress.com/2010/01/31...mer-anime-2010/ - usual preview sheets, and all trailers lister.

So, here's my watchlist:

Nurarihyon no Mago - interesting premise, will give a couple of eps. The trailer wasn't exactly very helpful.

H.S. of the Dead - Zombies? RE with high school kids? Why not, seems like the only worthwhile action show this season. Just hope there aren't too many fanservice shots. I counted 5 in the one-and-a-half-minute trailer, and that's not good. The character designs look horrible too (esp. the one-tooth loli tsundere).

Mitsudomoe - no, this "moe" is not the one you're thinking of, and it's not loli ecchi that some blog previewers I've seen freak out about. It's a surprisingly hilarious manga (and innocent too despite the # of below-the-beltline jokes), and I'm expecting good laughs unless the animators screw it up. Preview looked promising.

SHIKI - great premise; unless they do sth horribly wrong, should be a must-watch. The trailer was great.

-------------------------------

Seitokai Yakuindomo - maaaybe, if it has REALLY good gags to make up for the cliche setup.
Legend of Legendary Legends of Legendary Heroic Legend-heroes (or something) - if I ever feel that my bandwidth isn't loaded enough, or that I need a Japanese pulp-fantasy show, I'll look here. Or maybe I'll go watch Prism Ark instead, the two look somewhat similar for some reason (which doesn't help LoLH in the least, just like its silly name).

Unless the 4 shows I chose to watch are stellar, or more shows get announced suddenly, this'll be a mighty boring summer season. Not bad, just kinda mediocre-boring. Or maybe the contrast with the pretty-damn-good spring is hurting it, I dunno.

Well from that list ill defintly be taking up Strike Witches 2 along with HSotD (because the manga is pure win), ill try and take up Digimon since ive always been a fan. Ill give the Nurarihyon no Mago ago since the manga was okay. Not much from that list otherwise though

I was told that mitsudomoe was about schoolgirls eating cake and drinking tea...

Nah kidding, seems like a show about delicious cookie dough.

Watchlist:
Strike Witches 2
KurexNai OVA?
Mitsudomoe
Strike Witches
Shukufuku no Campanella

Kidding of course. I'll try to watch everything as usual. But really looking forward to the ff:

PUT YA GUNS ON S2
Nurarihyon - seems interesting
Occult Academy - seems interesting
OYAKATA - SAMA! S2
Amagami - DAT HAIR. SERIOUSLY DUDE, THAT HAIR.
KureXNai - interested, this is an OVA aight?
YUKIMURA!! S2
Ironman - heard it's gonna be this summer or prolly fall.
HSOTD - Inazuma gets animooted. Manly tears of joy and lust.
YARE YARE S2

Lol we also got another catgirl anime. Looks like it's becoming a staple i.e. at least 1 each season.

QUOTE H.S. of the Dead - Zombies? RE with high school kids? Why not, seems like the only worthwhile action show this season. Just hope there aren't too many fanservice shots. I counted 5 in the one-and-a-half-minute trailer, and that's not good. The character designs look horrible too (esp. the one-tooth loli tsundere).

Ye who will watch this show. Abandon all hope.

QUOTE Lol we also got another catgirl anime. Looks like it's becoming a staple i.e. at least 1 each season.

I heard it's also a Toradora ripoff. A must watch for anyone who loves crappy shows.

Gonna watch:

HSotD
Shiki
Ookamisan
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Seikimatsu Occult Garden
Nurarihyon

I'm also kinda interested in Sekirei, but I never watched the first season.

Here's what I think I'll be watching, but we all know how that goes. In no particular order excluding the first one:

Shiki - #1 must-watch so far based on trailers/premise/art
Seitokai Yakuindomo - depends on comedy level
Ookamisan - same as above
Legend of Legenary Heros - Fantasy/Adventure fix, nothing special
Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin - maybe Anime no Chikara won't suck this season
HSOTD - As long as they don't break the laws of boob physics I won't drop it, but it looks like they're well on their way to ruining my immersion
Amagami SS - we'll see
Sekirei - Back problems. Seriously, I'm just watching this for completionism, I was dissapointed with the first season and dislike harem anime that lack good comedy and has a pussy male lead. Time-filler if time permits
Mitsudomoe - if this ends up more like 5-3/hanamaru and less like kodomo no jikan I'll check it out for warm fuzzies

QUOTE (wedora @ Jun 16 2010, 12:03 AM) Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin - maybe Anime no Chikara won't suck this season

Yeah thats what I am hoping too, maybe 3rd time's the charm
wink.gif

QUOTE (wedora @ Jun 16 2010, 12:03 AM)Sekirei - Back problems. Seriously, I'm just watching this for completionism, I was dissapointed with the first season and dislike harem anime that lack good comedy and has a pussy male lead. Time-filler if time permits
Mitsudomoe - if this ends up more like 5-3/hanamaru and less like kodomo no jikan I'll check it out for warm fuzzies

Haha back problems indeed. Thats one thing that amazes me when they draw girls with humongous boobs, in real life they wouldn't be able to stand without huge backaches let alone fight like they do in some of the animes. I'm on the fence with Sekirei, not sure if I will watch it or not since I'll have to watch the first season too. I want to see it just because Inoue Marina is voicing a character and I miss her voice
sad.gif
(she's also going to be in Highschool of the Dead
biggrin.gif
)

@Mitsudomoe - hey, Kodomo no Jikan was awesome. lol, well I know that it's not everyone's type, but I enjoyed it. I might check this one out too, we'll see. I'm also curious about the Legends of Legendary Heroes, might just watch the first episode to see if I can get into it or not.
To be honest I am looking forward to Fall's anime a lot more (Bakuman, The World God only Knows, etc.). The only summer animes that I am really anticipating are Shiki and HSotD.

I heard it's also a Toradora ripoff. A must watch for anyone who loves crappy shows.

So it's gonna be another teen drama anime? Which reminds me, I'm seeing a tall Taiga in JC Staff's show this season.

BTW, forgot to mention I'm looking forward to Legend of the Legendary Legends. This show's gonna be legendary though it goes without saying.

Also, some hard working mod should splice the relevant posts and finally make a summer thread.

For summer will watch:

Definitely Watching
o Shiki - yay animated! Longtime fan of this.
o HSotD - Really looking forward to it, rushed the manga through when heard about it here on FTV, and now a fan.
o Mitsudomoe - Hoping for more Hanamaru like most here probably
tongue.gif
But I have a feeling this will be more S towards the lead male character than Hanamaru
o Nurarihyon no Mago - looks decent, started the manga some time ago (in the middle of the night... or morning.. ) but was too tired to continue reading past the first three pages, so want to check it out animated and the manga if the animation will be good enough for me.
o Sekirei ~Pure Engagment~ - I did manage to get through the first season. Will be watching it for time fill...

OVA:
o Hen Zemi OVA - Like the set up. Plus I like shows with weird characters in them.
o Kure-nai OVA - Well duh.
o BRS OVA - Black Rock Shooter.

Potential:
o Asobi ni Ikuyo - Well the heroine looks cute 
rolleyes.gif

o Ookamisan to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi - Well the heroine looks cute here too 
laugh.gif

o Seitokai Yakuindomo - Not so sure.... though the animations look nice.
o Kuroshitsuji - Miss the old cast. So not sure if I should go on with the anime... or stick with manga.

Yays for me having a lot of time after my exams end

QUOTE BTW, forgot to mention I'm looking forward to Legend of the Legendary Legends. This show's gonna be legendary though it goes without saying.

No sh*t Sherlock.

QUOTE So it's gonna be another teen drama anime? Which reminds me, I'm seeing a tall Taiga in JC Staff's show this season.

Or maybe I confused it with that one? I dunno, I have trouble distinguishing between all those ecchi/romance-comedy series, they look all the same to me.

QUOTE Mitsudomoe - if this ends up more like 5-3/hanamaru and less like kodomo no jikan I'll check it out for warm fuzzies

Haven't seen either, but it's sort of like Azumanga set in grade school with somewhat dirty jokes. There's 2 or 3 manga chapters scanlated out there, check 'em out if interested. The triplets are definitely gonna be great, mark my word.

BTW, even if T.H.A.T. blog previews are crap as usual, it's worth reading just for the guy who keeps complaining there's no mecha ^____^

QUOTE Also, some hard working mod should splice the relevant posts and finally make a summer thread.

Since it looks like none of the hard-working mods are showing up, maybe I'll have to do it.

EDIT: THE TASK IS ACCOMPLISHED

Do I get a reward? At least some extra XPs, maybe? *sigh*

I will just do what i always do, download pretty much everything that kinda seems good. Watch the first 2 episode's and see what i keep watching after that.

Here's the list i will test during the summer season:

Shukufuku no Campanella
Shi ki
Seikimatsu Occult Academy
Kuroshitsuji 2
Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-Tachi
Sekirei Pure Engagement
Highschool of the Dead
Asobi ni Iku Yo!
Amagami SS
Sengoku Basara Ni
Nurarihyon no Mago
Strike Witches 2
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Seitokai Yakuindomo

OVA/Specials:

Black * Rock Shooter
Kure-Nai

Think i will probably see more then half if not almost all
ph34r.gif

Only have 2 things that I will 100% be watching for the summer.

Kurenai OVA
Highschool of the Dead

Both of those I would be a fool to miss out on. A few others I'll probably check out cause they seem interesting, but just don't really know much about them or just don't have the same enthusiasm for them as those 2 above.

Shiki
Seikimatsu Occult Academy
Sengoku Basara 2
Sekirei Pure Engagement
Nurarihyon no Mago
Okamisan to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi
Amagami
Black Rock Shooter OVA

Now I figure it's extremely unlikely I'll get to the majority of these considering my anime intake dropped drastically this spring season, but we'll see.

QUOTE Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin - maybe Anime no Chikara won't suck this season

QUOTE Yeah thats what I am hoping too, maybe 3rd time's the charm
wink.gif
[Anime no Chikara]

I think they did fine with So Ra No Wo To, regardless of the predictable ending. It showed they have potential so I'll keep an eye out for them unless they are consistently bad.

QUOTE @Mitsudomoe - hey, Kodomo no Jikan was awesome. lol, well I know that it's not everyone's type, but I enjoyed it.

It was quite the psychological show for me, and I enjoyed it as well, but it doesn't fill the same niche that 5-3 and hanamaru did. Kodomo no Jikan stirs questions and emotions, 5-3/hanamaru simply makes me smile. I doubt I could tolerate Mitsudomoe's art style if it is coupled with risque ecchi material.

QUOTE (wedora @ Jun 16 2010, 11:25 PM) I think they did fine with So Ra No Wo To, regardless of the predictable ending. It showed they have potential so I'll keep an eye out for them unless they are consistently bad.

I think SoRaNoWoTo was OK, but they could have done more with it. I felt a bit let down near the end, but I did really like the characters in the show, so they got that part right. With Night Raid however, I started to watch it, and after 5 mins I felt really bored and just decided I won't follow it lol.
The premise for Occult Academy seems interesting enough, a time travelling man and an academy dedicated to the study of the Occult. Also Hikasa Yoko is voicing the lead female
biggrin.gif
So I'm hoping that this turns out well.

As for Kodomo no Jikan, yes I was intrigued by it because I am studying psychology and I find Rin's behavior to be thought provoking for sure.
If Ausdoerrt is interested in Mitsudomoe it must be good, right??
tongue.gif

If Ausdoerrt is interested in Mitsudomoe it must be good, right??

Of course
dry.gif

QUOTE I think SoRaNoWoTo was OK, but they could have done more with it. I felt a bit let down near the end, but I did really like the characters in the show, so they got that part right.

You mean you liked to see the K-On! cast again, right?
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE With Night Raid however, I started to watch it, and after 5 mins I felt really bored and just decided I won't follow it lol.

Well it's a great historical show that I'm still following and I can say you're missing out. Although frankly I can see how people not interested in historical anime, and/or not too familiar with the history and culture at hand could find it hard to swallow or even boring, since the historical background is quite important to the show.

QUOTE (Ausdoerrt @ Jun 18 2010, 10:05 AM) You mean you liked to see the K-On! cast again, right?
rolleyes.gif

Well it's a great historical show that I'm still following and I can say you're missing out. Although frankly I can see how people not interested in historical anime, and/or not too familiar with the history and culture at hand could find it hard to swallow or even boring, since the historical background is quite important to the show.
Haha I didn't like them because they were similar to the K-ON cast. Sure there were a few similarities, but they weren't identical clones. You seem to have this misconception of me that I'm very shallow?
ohmy.gif

It's not even the fact that it's a historical show, I just found it boring at the start because it didn't manage to capture my interest at all. Now if I had more patience at the time, I might have sat through the first episode at least. Recently I decided that if I find something boring at the beginning I just won't bother with it. Sure I might be missing out, if it turns out really great and I read a lot of good reviews I'll give it another chance later. But there have been too many a time that I was bored with a show at the beginning, and I kept watching expecting things to pick up, but it never happened.

Well, it's one of the few shows I've seen that has done a multi-cultural and a multi-lingual setting RIGHT. It may even be the only one. Despite some silly moments, at least the locals speak the local language without a horrid Japanese accent, and same goes for nationals of other countries. I commend the show for that, at least. If you remember, I bashed the first few eps hard as well, but it improved a bit, and frankly I just can't miss out on sth about historical China, that's interesting and unique enough.

QUOTE Sure there were a few similarities, but they weren't identical clones. You seem to have this misconception of me that I'm very shallow?

Nope. Rather, I'm willing to praise you for being able to identify those differences
wink.gif
Then again, I dropped it on ep. 2 because the show turned out to be out of my interest range, so I'm in no position to discuss it in depth.

As for Occult School, I still can't figure out if it's supposed to be serious or not. Previews I've seen mentioned something about it being a comedy/parody, but the trailer looked quite the opposite.
unsure.gif

I'm surprised at all the interest in BR*S also. While I do get that all the Vocaloid fandom defies logic (like any strong fandom in fact), but from what I saw in the trailer when back when, we're looking at something done by an amateur company with poor animations and barely any story. What's the hype?

I'm surprised at all the interest in BR*S also. While I do get that all the Vocaloid fandom defies logic (like any strong fandom in fact), but from what I saw in the trailer when back when, we're looking at something done by an amateur company with poor animations and barely any story. What's the hype?

Partially nude loli?

While we can go have a long argument about what consists a loli, I prefer to believe it's restricted to body type + age [DFC] or just body type. 10 year olds with huge knockers won't be called loli.

Seriously though, I think it's more on curiosity. You know like Touhou fans, I know quite a few, if not all, were hyped up with the news of Touhou getting animated.

Also, I just realized we got another Sengoku era anime, and it's a gag one at that. Hopefully, it'll be just as good as Sunred. Need my daily dose.

On legendary legend of legendary legends, is this going to be a show that that takes itself seriously? Or is it gonna be something like, perhaps Needless [Only one I can recall w/o effort]; a show that doesn't take itself seriously? Character looks like Rance from the thumb lol so I'm kinda hoping it's action+comedy.

EDIT: THE TASK IS ACCOMPLISHED

Do I get a reward? At least some extra XPs, maybe? *sigh*

Almost forgot.

Sorry to say but no. You do however get a fleeting sense of accomplishing your responsibility with a side serving of a job well done. GJ though.

I will be watching

Strike Witches S2
and the BLACK ROCK SHOOTER OVA

possibles are
The Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Gakuen Mokushiroku HIGHSCHOOL OF THE DEAD
Seitokai Yakuindomo

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back