Thank You Donators

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
...just a couple of months....I'll really b trying to donate....this is the site I hang out the most in....I just need some info and I'll b sure to donate....and thnx to all the people who already donate...thnx to u deeply...
rolleyes.gif

Whenever I'm hanging out somewhere with internet access and have nothing to do, I tend to open-in-tabs every ad I can see on this site.

Sometimes, I even find something worthwhile on the other end.

It's a bit stupid that they sometimes ask you to type in codes to see the stuff they want you to see - especially when marketing to a low-attention-span demographic... but I never expected marketing types to be super-clever. At least it weeds out the bots.

Alas, my precious bots!

j/k
tongue.gif

QUOTE (gmikemckenzie @ May 10 2006, 06:14 PM) I'm reading all the posts from all the kids that want to help but don't have credit cards. The thought occurs, if you post an adress, evenifit's just a po box, we could send a check or money order to. I mean (4 million hits?) if 10% sent just $1.00 a month.... all your troubles are over right?
Well it will depend because some other countries have weaker currency then others
unsure.gif

I sent $20, so keep up the good work!
smile.gif

Okay guys and gals, I have only been downloading anime from this site (or any site) for a couple weeks now. Is it 2 months, maby? Anyway, I need to ask this one simple question: Why is hosting this stuff such an expensive undertaking?

I am currently getting my webspace from www.heartinternet.co.uk and they offer a £30 pm deal or a £300 annually that not only includes unlimited webspace, but also unlimited bandwidth. The only catch being that you have to located in the UK to sign up with them. Heck I only use my space for trivial things so I still have the 2.5G webspace with 100m bandwidth option, but if you guys are willing to make donations to pay for the site I would be most willing indeed to upgrade to a full account and devote my webspace (or at least a big deal of my infinite space
tongue.gif
) to hosting these anime.

My question is this: is there no equavalent option available in the US that you guys can make use of? $300 pm vs £30 pm is a rather HUGE difference. Heck, at heartinternet for example, if you take the full package, you are also allowed to resell unlimited webspace/bandwidth at any price you want. So with 1.5 month's donations from here, you can fund a year's bandwidth. With another month's donations you can pay for an entire mirror site's annual costs. Just sell an unlimited package to your alias for $50 annually. Surely there must be cheaper ways than to require $300 every month... or am I just naive?

QUOTE (CryingRaven @ May 25 2006, 03:27 PM) Okay guys and gals, I have only been downloading anime from this site (or any site) for a couple weeks now. Is it 2 months, maby? Anyway, I need to ask this one simple question: Why is hosting this stuff such an expensive undertaking?

I am currently getting my webspace from www.heartinternet.co.uk and they offer a £30 pm deal or a £300 annually that not only includes unlimited webspace, but also unlimited bandwidth. The only catch being that you have to located in the UK to sign up with them. Heck I only use my space for trivial things so I still have the 2.5G webspace with 100m bandwidth option, but if you guys are willing to make donations to pay for the site I would be most willing indeed to upgrade to a full account and devote my webspace (or at least a big deal of my infinite space
tongue.gif
) to hosting these anime.

My question is this: is there no equavalent option available in the US that you guys can make use of? $300 pm vs £30 pm is a rather HUGE difference. Heck, at heartinternet for example, if you take the full package, you are also allowed to resell unlimited webspace/bandwidth at any price you want. So with 1.5 month's donations from here, you can fund a year's bandwidth. With another month's donations you can pay for an entire mirror site's annual costs. Just sell an unlimited package to your alias for $50 annually. Surely there must be cheaper ways than to require $300 every month... or am I just naive?
If you use too much of your "unlimited bandwidth" or "unlimited webspace", it will either become too slow to be of any use or your host will suspend your accounts for violation of TOS/AUP. Have you taken a look at that yet? They probably have some sort of clause in there regarding system/network performance. It's just a marketing gimmick that hosts use since most websites never use enough webspace or bandwidth to be of concern.

QUOTE (CryingRaven @ May 25 2006, 03:27 PM) I am currently getting my webspace from www.heartinternet.co.uk and they offer a £30 pm deal or a £300 annually that not only includes unlimited webspace, but also unlimited bandwidth.
There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. Just think about it for a second. You can always use more bandwidth but that bandwidth is not magical. You need hardware to support it.

Lets say you have a rack with a 100Mb link. The rack owner uses more that that, so they upgrade to Gigabit. After a while, you need to throw out the gigabit backbone and replace it with 10 Gig fiber. When that is not enough, you are preatty much out of luck. The only easy option is to add multiple backplanes with spllitted network, more performant network card, etc, etc. (I gave the bandwidth example, but processing power is also the same, disk is easier. Disk space is cheap. Bandwidth/processing power are expensive!)

As you see, its a infinite wheel. There is no limit with what you can do with hardware. The only limit is money. Since your provider will need to cover their expense, there is a limit. Because if they don't cover their expense, because if they don't they will close down soon.

I'm not sure if this is a right place to post this but-what happen to the donate section-it's not up date and you can not donate any more?

QUOTE (shii393 @ Apr 03 2008, 07:06 AM) I'm not sure if this is a right place to post this but-what happen to the donate section-it's not up date and you can not donate any more?
I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that the site is pretty much self-sufficient. It pays for itself now that we've got all the ads and everything. Which means donations aren't needed - unless you just want to give Daft some pocket money? lol.
I could be wrong, but thats certainly the impression I was given.

Yep, the advertisements pay for everything at this point so donations aren't really necessary anymore. There was also an issue with some donators using stolen credit cards, so the option to donate was simply removed.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back