The forums are dead, and we gotta fix this!

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
I don't know who edited what, but it'd be rather rash to just up and leave because ONE post got edited...
Posts generally only get edited if they contain some kind of objectionable content or break some rule. When they are edited, a note is usually left AND the 'edited by' line is added.

If you are positive your post was edited, rather than ranting in some random thread, try PMing one of the mods and try to find out who and why it was edited...Being calm and polite tends to help, too.

laugh.gif
I just got hot and started ranting a bit.

Bygones are bygones, water under the bridge etc etc.
wink.gif

But maybe some actual constructive suggestion now.
cool.gif

I noticed that on a lot of the series pages where the episodes are listed there is an official thread.
This is what got me interested in these forums in the first place.

I've also noticed that there are a lot of series which already have threads... but they don't appear on the series pages.
I don't know how hard this would be to fix, what sort of linking it takes to make a thread "official" but I think it would lead to more discussions.

This also leads to newbs making duplicate threads, because it says "there is no official thread.."
rolleyes.gif

--> Exposing the forum to more people downloading the episodes might encourage them to chat about what they just watched. <--

That is of course if people actually used spoiler tags.
Too often you open the series page to be instantly shown
"OMG I can't believe so and so actually dies."
rolleyes.gif

Yeah about that some of the series threads are either made before or after a series comes onto this site. So it's up to the MODs to set it up were if you go to d/l an episode part of the conversation is there.

So it's really all about are the MODs paying attention in doing something like that though. Although it does get done never the less.

QUOTE (Maiku_Ando @ Nov 30 2009, 12:48 PM) Well actually that might already be in progress, not for definate or anything and it depends on Sam, but I figured still worth a mention as an example.
A little old now (the quoted post) but i just thought to throw in my two cents. the scanlation would not be dead if the people working on the project didnt just stop PMing me. that was what happened. people stopped communicating.

So i'm always open to having the scanlation project up again - i'll co-ordinate and such but really if this is going to happen i need people who will keep communicating with me.

Hi Sammy, you only post in this thread now from the looks of it. Why haven't you been posting in other parts of the forum....specifically the anime section ??

Have you stopped watching anime ?

I believe most ppl in the forum have no clue that there is an active FTV scanlation group and it would be more active if the ones doing it were to appear more on other parts of the forum. Advertising yourselves via your signature could get someone interested in joining and helping you guys out in the scanlation department.
rolleyes.gif

Well, ever since I came back to posting more at FTV. It started off with the forum being COMPLETELY DEAD but this isn't the case anymore, I've met new members and new friends since I've been back and I've noticed the gradual increase in activity in the forums from shinii's game thread to the current season that at the moment from my perspective is possibly one of the better seasons in recent years with a bunch of series receiving the attention they deserve from FMA that is expected to the unexpected popularity of other series. I know when you check the page numers for the series, they do not look that impressive but you have to keep in mind that the community is very small at the moment and the discussion generated is way more than what it was like last year.
rolleyes.gif

I reckon the site will have a sudden boom in new blood joining when the more hotly anticipated series start such as High School of the Dead.
biggrin.gif

Also, I'll be scouting for new members during the Summer.
rolleyes.gif

Mosq, the same thing happened to me the very first day I joined but the difference is I know why it happened, a fault of my own but to some extent I still dislike that particular individual but I didn't let that get in the way of my time spent on this forum. To many others it may seem like a waste of time but I honestly enjoy the company that exists in this forum, they are a friendly bunch with MANY oddballs including myself. So stay and have fun. I wonder if Daft has like something that tells him what the MODs are doing and stuff.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (mosque @ Jun 06 2010, 05:08 PM) I don't know who these some people are.

Whoever edited away half of my post is completely lame.

It isn't your take on an idea when it gets changed and left there. It's some mod's take on your idea.

It wasn't a one liner that got deleted, that would be cool.

Half of what I said was taken out, and the other half left, making me look like.. a donkey.

No one thinks this is 4chan and no one is being uncivilized except some moderator who thinks they can change what people said without consequence.

-edit- for a hint: the consequence is that people leave.
You can contact any of the mods regarding any issues or questions that you have regarding any of your posts that's been deleted or modified in any form or shape. I personally apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to you and will be more than happy to assist you or any other individual with similar incidents personally.

QUOTE (JCDRANZER @ Jun 09 2010, 10:21 AM)

I reckon the site will have a sudden boom in new blood joining when the more hotly anticipated series start such as High School of the Dead.
biggrin.gif

Also, I'll be scouting for new members during the Summer.
rolleyes.gif

JCD, I tried recruiting new members over the years with zero success. The reason may be that most of my friends are germans and are not interested in an english website. I find that strange, because apart from all the anime and good forums, you can practise english too. I think my english wouldnt be half as good if it wasnt for FTV. I dont use english much outside the forums.... I do have some business english classes at the university, but thats about it. I know so many germans who avoid english like the devil the cross. God forbid eng subs.... and it doesnt make any difference that eng subs are faster and the quality higher.... coz you know how it works, ger sub is a copy of a copy. I mean, the german subgroup doesnt translate from japanese, they take an english sub and translate from that.
Yeahhh well, I love this site and I will remain faithfull till the end...... there may be some other website with a more pleasing design and what not, but do we really need that? We are here for anime, right? I care about anime design and not how funky the website looks. One of the things I always appreciated about FTV is the cozy atmosphere here, even though I do miss the times when forums discussions made the wires glow!!!

PS:I dont know if you folks noticed, but I have been trying really hard to keep the forums alive for the past half a year. I have been very quiet for a long time prior to my comeback and back then I would check the forums and since there wasnt anything interesting going on, I never bothered to write, until one day I realised that with this attitude, the situation wont change and so I am back now.
smile.gif

QUOTE (warita200 @ Jun 09 2010, 06:41 PM) JCD, I tried recruiting new members over the years with zero success. The reason may be that most of my friends are germans and are not interested in an english website. I find that strange, because apart from all the anime and good forums, you can practise english too. I think my english wouldnt be half as good if it wasnt for FTV. I dont use english much outside the forums.... I do have some business english classes at the university, but thats about it. I know so many germans who avoid english like the devil the cross. God forbid eng subs.... and it doesnt make any difference that eng subs are faster and the quality higher.... coz you know how it works, ger sub is a copy of a copy. I mean, the german subgroup doesnt translate from japanese, they take an english sub and translate from that.
Yeahhh well, I love this site and I will remain faithfull till the end...... there may be some other website with a more pleasing design and what not, but do we really need that? We are here for anime, right? I care about anime design and not how funky the website looks. One of the things I always appreciated about FTV is the cozy atmosphere here, even though I do miss the times when forums discussions made the wires glow!!!

PS:I dont know if you folks noticed, but I have been trying really hard to keep the forums alive for the past half a year. I have been very quiet for a long time prior to my comeback and back then I would check the forums and since there wasnt anything interesting going on, I never bothered to write, until one day I realised that with this attitude, the situation wont change and so I am back now.
smile.gif

Agreed, ive tried recruiting among my friends and online anime friends, but the problem was that most of them were already members on various anime forums and didnt want to leave a commuinity they had cemented themselves in, to become strangers in another.

And regarding getting the forums back, thats why im posting again, depsite my detest for anime which is somethign im trying to rectify (anime being crap as of late has hurt that aim, should change when Deadman Wonderland and HSofD are released), i dnot want this forum to go the way fo so many, so im trying to post as much as i used to
biggrin.gif
If most of us did that instead of reading and not even posting the site would become mroe acitve again
biggrin.gif

Sam i was planning to learn to edit and clean in my own time then try and join a new group, but im willing to help you if you want it

Plus im hoping to get a Manga podcast going with JCD and 2 other members ive asked once the world cup is over, i was going to try and get it as a seperate thing but if it will help FTV i dont mind linking it with FTV if it will help. Since i plan to put it on itunes and various other places i venture, so more advertising for FTV. Its just trying to do small things like that if we want the site back

QUOTE (Hiasubi @ Jun 09 2010, 08:30 PM) And regarding getting the forums back, thats why im posting again, depsite my detest for anime which is somethign im trying to rectify (anime being crap as of late has hurt that aim, should change when Deadman Wonderland and HSofD are released), i dnot want this forum to go the way fo so many, so im trying to post as much as i used to
biggrin.gif
If most of us did that instead of reading and not even posting the site would become mroe acitve again
biggrin.gif

Bad anime lately o_O you insane. Every season has some bad anime, but every season has good ones aswell. Well for some you need a good stomach like with Rainbow (love that show btw).

Anyways the teacher from hell has returned. Think we should have a little brainstorm with daft too turn this place more lively again. Heard from a good friend from here that daft has some idea's of his own, so it might be best too mix in our idea's.

QUOTE (Dragon-of-Rune @ Jun 09 2010, 08:40 PM) Bad anime lately o_O you insane. Every season has some bad anime, but every season has good ones aswell. Well for some you need a good stomach like with Rainbow (love that show btw).

Yeah but bear in mind im not much for anime these days, so im kinda anti anime to begin wtith
tongue.gif
And yes im insane and proud of it

I respect your honesty, now be a good little team member and stay on topic please
wink.gif

So i dont know how many people have each other here on msn, and how many people have daft on msn. But it would be good if everybody would have some time this weekend for a brainstorm. Well atleast with daft plus as many people as possible. Too see if we can get this forum too its former glory.

QUOTE (Dragon-of-Rune @ Jun 09 2010, 08:50 PM) I respect your honesty, now be a good little team member and stay on topic please
wink.gif

So i dont know how many people have each other here on msn, and how many people have daft on msn. But it would be good if everybody would have some time this weekend for a brainstorm. Well atleast with daft plus as many people as possible. Too see if we can get this forum too its former glory.
I used to have Dafts msn, but ive switched MSNs that many times i probably have forgetten to add him. Mines [email protected] if you want to add me.

But im up for it i guess

Good thats what i wanna hear, and i still have daft in my list. But main problem here is the time of day we gonna do it. Because all team members are spread across the world. And then we have regular members maybe aswell with idea's.

Think best would be to do it on a sunday. But let me know your thoughts on this.

@Hia: i just added you on msn.

Im game for Sundays, but yeah time differnece could be a problem. Still wnot know until we try.

QUOTE (Dragon-of-Rune @ Jun 09 2010, 01:50 PM) I respect your honesty, now be a good little team member and stay on topic please
wink.gif

I'm always on except for when needed or when I'm afk.

Hmm i dont have your msn i think, send me a pm with it
tongue.gif

Not free till the 21st....got exams. =(

Another challenge is anime isn't a niche anymore, its very mainstream now. That means that more than ever there is a saturation on the internet of where to get a hold of your anime. There's a whole heap of online steaming sites and manga viewers. Now I don't even download from FTV anymore, I just subscribe to one of them FTP servers since the bittorent protocol is blocked at university. So really, FTV is just a more prettified notifer to me of when my series have updated. I'll add them to my watchlist and subscribe to that using an RSS feed, but after that I take my downloading activity elsewhere.

But that's just me.

I'd like to voice a few comments if I may:

1) First I think as mentioned before many people are now flocking to using places like nyaatorrents and other download sites for their torrent files and downloads. I can't really judge because I don't have the site stats in front of me, however if there's been a steady decrease in hits, downloads and page views, it could mean since other places get their stuff up quicker, people tend to drift away from here.

2) I have noticed being a visitor over the past few years people do tend to stick to a specific fansub team if they can. Occasionally, I have seen direct downloads here shift between groups with torrent links following. I would venture to say many loyal group fans tend to post directly on the fansub site's blog and/or forums as opposed to a 3rd party who helps centralize releases.

3) I think, as mentioned before, forums have more or less fallen to the wayside in favor of the blog type site. After visiting several blogs of various groups, I've noticed a release done followed by up to or even more than 100 replies to the release. I'm supposing those are mostly un-modded based on some of the posts, never the less it does seem blogs seem to be more popular than forums in the way of posting and communicating.

How to remedy this? I dunno
tongue.gif
I think it's a matter of whether or not you can entice the leechers to actually comment the series that are hosted here. One of the things which lure people away from here is the fact so many titles get licensed which causes people to look for other means to obtain them. Now, I do see that many of use are following certain "licensed" series which haven't been released stateside, however the number pales in comparison to the amount of downloads the series gets via bit torrent.

I think one way to solve this might be to do some kind of preview on the main page along with the trailer (instead of doing the featured anime with a screen shot). For example, HOTD who has both manga and an anime release. If the FTV can somehow tie in both to make an original preview it might attract attention for comments when the series begins airing. A preview write up plus an encouraging "voice your thoughts" reminder might be attractive enough for people to bite.

I must say I do enjoy the idea of the anime "book club" idea mentioned earlier in this thread. That same thought is why I started my blog here so I can voice a review and opinion on the series. I think another of the biggest drawbacks with anime which doesn't get a national spotlight in other countries is no one either hears about it or people are leery of downloading it. That goes for both past and present anime. Being able to spotlight and showcase an anime with a preview just might attract some discussion about it. Again, it might just be a basis on the anime's website, PV and manga, however if the write up can appeal to the casual visitor, they might start commenting.

So, perhaps a sub-forum for the "book club" idea might work better instead of just latching onto a thread that's X months old since you can start an original discussion from scratch.

Personally, I think the addition of a chat box might destroy instead of entice activity here. Personally, I've seen those as a headache when I had it on my site because people expect them to be manned and modded 24/7.

OK, wrote more then I intended
laugh.gif
time for me to work on my next blog entry.
wink.gif

I must agree that the major problem is probably the amount of anime sites popping up every day. The anime community is splittered among them. As for the blog vs. forum issue..... I noticed people love to comment on the streaming sites. Mostly the conributions are one liners such as: "Wonderful episode, LOVE IT, cant wait for next week" or people flaming and insulting each other. Why this is more popular than a forum where you can meaningfully discuss anime with others and read their responses to your own post is beyond me. It may well be that most anime fans are young people who arent interested in a proper discussion.

Maybe it is wishful thinking, but I have the feeling the forum has been a bit livelier as of late.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back