Threads Per Season Debate

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
Here's my endless 2am rambling~

Looking back on when the forum was particularly active, I'd say multiple threads per season would not be a problem. With the decline in activity on the forum to only a handful of posters and users now along with recent anime trends, it really should come on a case by case basis now. This judgment may seem subjective but here's the logic:

To start, if a series is only taking a break of less than one cour (one season), it should simply continue in the same thread. This would help cater to more recent shows that are following this trend, including Fate/Zero, Asura Cryin', White Album, Shugo Chara!, Slayers Revolution/Evolution-R Shikabane Hime, etc... The reason being is that the series should generally still be fresh in most people's minds and most titles like these will directly continue as "episode 14" and such rather than "season 2 episode 1". Spoiling is also likely to be kept to a minimum since these series are often courteously numbered as such to prevent further confusion.

On the other hand, if a series has at least a one cour gap like Shakugan no Shana, Bakuman, Zero no Tsukaima, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Prince of Tennis, Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari etc... I think it's appropriate to split them. Even if they are direct sequels, the gap may be too large for some people to remember the previous series in its entirety. Furthermore, the likelihood of someone suddenly getting spoiled will likely be higher as these series tend to often be numbered as "episode 1" and onwards. The problem then lies in how does one differentiate between prequel and sequels for those with no clear numbering, in which case it's up to the viewer to look up this information and generally speaking not ours.

In my personal opinion, however, I don't see any harm in creating more threads. As said by Ausdoerrt, there's no real limitation on space and if there are multiple threads, mods can always merge them. Searching can be a pain, especially if a thread is buried somewhere but from what I've seen based on the activity here, once a series is finished, it's unlikely that anyone ever goes back to talk about/in it anyways. For example, the long Shuffle! thread that was around in 2006 is no longer being posted in. Similarly, without the recent movies of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya or Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works, neither The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya or Fate/Stay Night threads would have have seen the light of day. Therefore, the only "trouble" I really see is if the mods are willing to not be lazy or it being too much of a burden to merge existing threads...of course this doesn't imply and shouldn't encourage that people should just spam new threads/posts without using the search feature first.

------------------------------------

However, putting the forum matter aside and focusing on what's more likely to be seen on the main site, I think the "issue" doesn't lie with the forum posts or how the threads are linked/made but rather if there could be some sort of indicator for prequel, sequel, etc... similar to what a lot of database sites do. It can be assumed that most people who visit this site know little to none Japanese. Furthermore and by human nature, most people are likely too lazy to look up the information of a series and therefore may not be sure when they're waltzing into a sequel or not only to then find themselves entirely spoiled or lost, especially if they're new to a series or anime in general. In turn, they "blame" us for not properly organizing/numbering the library and refuse to come here again. For example, this season's Zero no Tsukaima F, Nisemonogatari, or Aquarion EVOL or last fall's Last Exile ~Gin'yoku no Fam~ would be potential candidates since they don't see a "2" or something that indicates it's a sequel. Of course, the work put into this feature may actually outweigh the return...especially with simulcasts now becoming more predominant and the average anime viewer swaying to legal streams over fansubs. Therefore, we may very well already be limited to those who are knowledgeable about the titles we host anyways.

Another idea would be to somehow pin the first post of the threads, which usually contains the basic info for the series.

EDIT:

QUOTE Daft; if you could kindly improve your already existing FTV bot to create "official" threads from this point forth and link such threads to the corresponding anime series available on the website, that would make things a lot smoother.
If this were to be implemented, there should also be a way to regulate this such that duplicates would not be automatically created, e.g. Persona 4, Working!! Season 2, and High School DxD. There should also be ways to regulate specials and short OVAs that come out with the BDs/DVDs in case it is somehow mistreated as a "new series."

This strays from the main point of this thread, but long term wise, I don't see much that needs to be really changed on the main site at the moment except for some presentation clean up as we seem to have capped our audience for the most part. As more content becomes available through legal digital downloads and simulcast streams, the average need for fansubs decline and as a result, sitew such as this draw less traffic. Therefore, I think to benefit the community that utilizes the main site, we should help organize things a little bit as I did notice a number of things that seem to be out of place in the cataloging recently. While the following point seems obvious and trivial, I might as well express it anyways: the key to attract new people still "lurking" for fansubs on the web is to have a more impressive/organized library.

Well if you want my honest opinion in the matter I pretty much try to go with the idea of, "If I make this thread people will come" so I try to do that as best as I can.

As for the multi seasons deal I'm kind of split down the middle with that. I mean some threads suchs as Maria+Holic and Zetsubou Sensei were kind of in the same thread since the second (or third for Zetsubou Sensei) were fairly close to each other. In which case it was understandable as to why someone started to get lazy about wanting things in one thread, because of the convience of it all. Although, I have to agree on the point of how someone who just started the frist season trys to discuss something and later on find massive spoilers of what's to come in that season and the next that they might not either want to watch the series anymore, or just no longer post at all in said thread.

Don't get me worng I'm not wholely against some series being combined it one thread due to it having a movie or a seceond season within a reasonable time mind you. Although the issue about another season that happens to be 5+ years from the last season that aired then I may take up an issue over that.

Well that should do it for an Early Moring Rant for me as well.
tongue.gif

Sorry I didnt respond until now even though Im the one starting it but I had to work nightshift and only woke up a bit ago.

First, I didnt know about the forum-tie-ins with the mainsite or that the mainsite is successful, I only visited it a few times about 5 years ago or so. And I dont really care about it since Im only interested in the forum nothing more and I like my things in order not chaos, or at least orderly chaos. And as easy as it gets and thats not the case if for every season there is a new thread.

About the stuff with newcomers, which newcomers? The only ones I see posting are the same 5-10 people I always see and sometimes here and there a single post of someone unknown, but those mostly look like spam or trolling with really bad english.
And seriously when was the last time you saw someone wanting to talk about season 1 when season two is out? Ok it can happen that someone wants to do that but nobody will answer anyway. And in my eyes even in a "Franchise"-thread its easy enough to see where a break for the seasons is.

I defenitey dont want you to merge everything now that already exists, its only going about the newly made things (Nisemonogatari, Zero no Tsukaima F) and the things to come. And only if its a direct sequel. I just dont see any meaning in splitting a show if in season two are the same characters, setting, plot and everything else as in season one. For me its about the shows as a whole not about the seasons itself thats why I would like everything in one thread (just as I have every anime-ep of one franchise in one folder on my HDDs). Then you have all the information in one place instead of going through a lot threads finding what you want.

For example:
You want an info about what happened in the anime but youre not sure in which season it happened. So rather than going through three threads because of three seasons which you first have to find (!) among the threadlist you only have to go through one.

About getting spoilered, Im sorry but who gets spoilered is at his own fault. If I read something about season 1 while season two is out I can already expect to get to season two in the thread at some point so I have to be careful while reading (for example check the dates of the post) and if I am than I wont get spoilered (at least I never got whil beeing careful). If someone doesnt do that, then, honestly, he deserves to get spoilered and his viewing pleasure destroyed. And he cant cry about it, its his own fault.
Its the same with the eps. If someone only just now watched ep 15 and ep 16 is out already then he has to be careful while reading or he gets spoilered.
Just splitting doesnt help one not get spoilered in any way.

Oh and about the space, that wasnt meant seriously, it was only to have another listing in my numeration ^^ And to have a larger post.

On another note, finally theres a discussion here again and somehows its me again starting it ^^ Maybe I should do that more often to bring fresh wind in here
tongue.gif

Oh yeah and donwgrading us now is a really nice way to show how things works in this forum. You say something someone doesnt like and that guy abuses his power. Its really like North Korea in here as often has it happens.

You were demoted by the FTV leaders under joint agreement, not by Kid-Wolf. I sent you a PM with further details. And yet again you can't seem to stay on topic.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Jan 11 2012, 01:27 AM) If this were to be implemented, there should also be a way to regulate this such that duplicates would not be automatically created, e.g. Persona 4, Working!! Season 2, and High School DxD. There should also be ways to regulate specials and short OVAs that come out with the BDs/DVDs in case it is somehow mistreated as a "new series."

Duplication was sort of given in this case. Especially with the whole continue linking threads to series, which I assume has a 1-to-1 relationship.

I believe that such system would increase the traffic and help us, as a community, grow bigger.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Jan 11 2012, 03:39 PM) About the stuff with newcomers, which newcomers? The only ones I see posting are the same 5-10 people I always see
This is why the merging into seasons thing honestly isnt a problem at all since activity is that low there are so few new members that actualy will come around a post and if they were to post its probably because they watched the latest ep on the mainpage and then wish to discuss it. If we had a high new member number each week/month or something then maybe the spoiler thing would be more relivant. But since we are lacking on new members and we just seem to become a more friendly/same old group of users then spoilers dont really i apply.

Um, if you don't mind a newcomer's disjointed thoughts?

I come to every page by the front-page, and tend to not directly visit the forum. (It really feels like an entirely different site.)

I like it when the seasons/sequels are broken up into their own threads for the aforementioned reasons of spoilers. It isn't just the spoiler tag worthy spoilers, but also the general atmosphere of a thread changes based on what happens from season to season in ways that can a huge spoiler by itself. In that same vein, I also don't really like how the pages show the posts in most recent to oldest. It puts the spoilers right up at the top and pushes the elaborate synopsis/thread OP off the page.

There's some wisdom in Ossi's original complaint that the splits and dedicated pages can make it awkward to follow some series' threads, why not add a "Is part of (series)" column/index to each series page? Or make some kind of folder navigation to cluster series together?

QUOTE (Norren @ Jan 13 2012, 01:19 AM) There's some wisdom in Ossi's original complaint that the splits and dedicated pages can make it awkward to follow some series' threads, why not add a "Is part of (series)" column/index to each series page? Or make some kind of folder navigation to cluster series together?
Pretty much what I'm getting from this is you're trying to say add the season relation in the sub title of creating the thread correct? I'm only asking since I think that's what you were trying to get at there.

Also, any comment from any of the new-commers is worth a listen to since, to me, it's an important thing to do for this forum to be active again.

If you're talking about the thread pages in the series page on the main page itself that seems like something daft-sama would look into, but to be honest I think it's doing the latest postings so that it could explain the latest epsidoe, but I can see your point on being spoiled of the epside itself. Let alone maybe the entire series as well.

That'd be one way to implement it, putting it in a folder for a franchise would be another way, just putting links back and forth in the thread OP would be another way.

Plenty of ways to do it, just as long as there's some kind of breadcrumb trail between seasons/sub-series.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back