Vividred Operation

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

daft27

-nya
Retired
Genre: Action, Science-Fiction
Year: 2013

Synopsis:
Here in a world where science has solved all questions. This story is set in Oshima. The happy, carefree 14 year old Akane Isshiki lived a poor, but well loved life together with her reliable little sister, Momo, who does all the housework, and her grandfather, Kenjirou, a genius inventor who only created useless devices. When the weather is clear, they can see the artificial island, Blue Island, across the sea. In the center of that island rises the revolutionary Manifestation Engine, a discovery that solved the world's energy problems.

My take on this:
If Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha and Strike Witches had a baby, you'd get Vividred Operation. I'm following this.

Attachments

• 73382_487957064583776_686284322_n.jpg
    73382_487957064583776_686284322_n.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 125
Well after checking out a few epsiodes it's more along the line of being called Loli Barumas here. The reason is because the girls in this series are bloomer wearing lolis here. Yes the Nanoha bit is with the whole lolis being mechs somehow here. Also, this series is done by the same director that did Strike Witches I believe.

In any case the only major differences between this and Strike Witches is that this series is set in the not too distant future, and two no famous people are actually girls in this series.
tongue.gif

So I might end up following this series as a guilty pleasure forthis season now.
biggrin.gif

The color puns, they're amazing. It's like Symphogear with color puns instead of sound puns.

Watched the first three episodes last night, not sure what I think of this one yet. I like the general premise, but I'm curious to see how this RGBY vs Black thing pans out.

Hmm, i tried this series. Nothing special compared to previous series. Just a group of girls who fights enemies in revealing clothes. Even the attack names suggest the themes. It is a colorful animation though and the enemies looks funny (that first one looked like the fortress in "the spy who loved me"(one of the James Bond movies), the second was a big murene.)
The only curious thing is that girl who keeps on powering up the enemies. What is her deal?

First episode was literally Strike Witches all over again. Similar setup, similar scenarios/scenes (e.g. tree climbing) to the point that it was a very unimpressive cop off. Second episode was good despite rushed with the whole character development of Aoi. Third episode was iffy but at least the show doesn't seem to waste too much time. It has potential to be better than Strike Witches but not getting my hopes too high here.

So another girl joins the team. She is certainly smart so she may notice the girl who keeps on powering up enemies. For the rest the story itself seems to be hurrying. Each time the new girl already knows how to get the powers and so on. Not a bad series but it really needs to get depth..

The bad girl ain't such a bad girl after all. It is pretty understandable why she does it. I wonder what those 7 feathers mean..will she die after the last one? What is that crow? If it channels the power to the arrows it is bound to be way stronger than it looks...
It feels predictable what will happen now: somewhere along the next episodes the bad girl probably be discovered as the enemy and still get accepted in the team..

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Feb 02 2013, 01:55 PM) Each time the new girl already knows how to get the powers and so on.
In the first episode, at the first boot-up of the system you could see a set of instructions scrolling across Akane's view. Presumably this happens at start up for each girl.

So we now get the reason as to why Rei tends to try and power-boost the Alones now. Granted it feels like they now dropped the whole deal of her destorying this world's Manifestation Engine so she can save her world where the Engine was destoryed.

Still never the less about the girls knowing what to do when they first transformed, all of them except for the latest one had to do a qucik read of the manua, but the latest one was kind of genious to begin with, since she did kind of hack into the Blue Island's defense system to find out about the Alones.

So the girls were finally able to confront Rei-chan as to why she wanted to destory the reacotr to begin with. Not only was Rei-chan played but she was also quickly "om nomed" by that crow out of no where like that.

From the looks of things that so-called test the crow was talking about was if you failed you were destoryed, if you passed you were still destroyed becuase it was probablly a gltish in the process.
rolleyes.gif

Well, that went about the way I expected, minus the midday snack.

All that's left is the losing battle, "shock reversal", 5th ranger crowning, and a titledrop finale.

QUOTE (Norren @ Mar 22 2013, 09:37 AM)Well, that went about the way I expected, minus the midday snack.

All that's left is the losing battle, "shock reversal", 5th ranger crowning, and a titledrop finale.

It will probably happen just as you said. This episode wasn't surprising..Rei will probably fight the crow from within and in doing so give the girls a chance to kill it. Maybe then "they" will appear and apologize for the trouble. It feels predictable but maybe the writers can surprise us?

Well the series more or less ended as it was expected to be. In any case to think that Rei docking with Akane would turn out to be the combo for the Red Version here. Also, a fist in the face of the big bad crepy thing pretty much sovled all the problems here.
tongue.gif

It was rather touching, and I feel somewhat sad that it had to come to an end though, but at least it ended happily though.

That was a satisfying if predictable ending.
happy.gif
Akane docking with Rei was pretty much the ONLY option for the naming schema to work.

I guessed wrong on one point, tho'. I thought AkaRei was going to have a gigantic fusion boomerang/bow hybrid weapon.

I wasn't sure what to expect out of this one when I picked it up, but got a warm fuzzy feel out of the story in the end.
happy.gif
I can almost imagine a spinoff where Rei takes the crow's place as speaker for testing some other random parallel universe.

But oh god, the innuendo/sneaking crap beneath the radar of Akane's mayo and the cucumbers episode.
dry.gif

I'm not sure how many people can read enough japanese to notice, but everyone had meaningful names in this one. All of the names were numbers and colors with extra letters stuck on them.

Isshiki Akane: First Red.
Futaba Aoi: Second blue.
Saegusa Wakaba: Third Green (Wakaba's sort of a tea leaf color.)
Shinomiya Himawari: Fourth Yellow. (Himawari = sunflower)
Kuroki Rei: Black Zero.

So our finale? The boss rush was a countdown. 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Norren @ Mar 30 2013, 07:17 PM)That was a satisfying if predictable ending. Akane docking with Rei was pretty much the ONLY option for the naming schema to work.

I guessed wrong on one point, tho'. I thought AkaRei was going to have a gigantic fusion boomerang/bow hybrid weapon.

I wasn't sure what to expect out of this one when I picked it up, but got a warm fuzzy feel out of the story in the end. I can almost imagine a spinoff where Rei takes the crow's place as speaker for testing some other random parallel universe.

But oh god, the innuendo/sneaking crap beneath the radar of Akane's mayo and the cucumbers episode.

I'm not sure how many people can read enough japanese to notice, but everyone had meaningful names in this one. All of the names were numbers and colors with extra letters stuck on them.

Isshiki Akane: First Red.
Futaba Aoi: Second blue.
Saegusa Wakaba: Third Green (Wakaba's sort of a tea leaf color.)
Shinomiya Himawari: Fourth Yellow. (Himawari = sunflower)
Kuroki Rei: Black Zero.

So our finale? The boss rush was a countdown. 4, 3, 2, 1, 0.

I must agree. This was a very predictable ending. Just as the whole series has been.
In all it was a series which had such a major flaw in having a storyline which was predicable. That doesn't have to be a problem as Nogizaka Haruka no himitsu showed but in this series it does make the episodes too simple. Colorwise it was a nice series but way too much focus on fanservice. That was noticable from the beginning till the end. Even the names of the attacks were ecchi. However it was entertaining for the most part as certain characters were enjoyable like Shinomiya Himawari in her photoshoot and Kuroki Rei as a villain with a bit more depth compared to the rest of the characters.
So it is an average series: 6.5 out of 10 which it barely made due to the characters. If not for Himawari and Rei it would only get a 6 out of 10.

Vividred Operation is an original work by Strike Witches' Kazuhiro Takamura. It is set in a futuristic world where everything is powered by the Manifestation/Incarnate Engine. However, that peace does not last forever: An unknown species known as the Alone begins to attack the society with its priority of the Incarnate Engine's destruction. Akane Isshiki is given a special key by her grandfather, granting access to the Vivid System to help in fending off the Alone. Akane is later joined by a group of friends: Aoi Futaba, Wakaba Saegusa, and Himawari Shinomiya. Vividred Operation premiered during the Winter 2012/2013 anime season, was simulcasted by CrunchyRoll, and licensed by Aniplex USA.

Vividred Operation is arguably one of those shows that is obviously a knock off of a previous title yet pretends that it isn't, namely Strike Witches. It's first episode is nearly identical in scene for scene to Strike Witches, which made it very difficult to enjoy in terms of originality. Knowing that it is by the same creator only hurt it more as it emphasized that this director may be a one trick pony. Putting the set up aside, the show drags itself for about 4 episodes to introduce the four main girls of the series who will help protect the island, almost like a magical girl show. The rest of it was like a "monster of the week" type series up until the final couple episodes where the "ultimate" villain is revealed. Unfortunately, the show falls into a very simple deus ex trap and raises the question of who was actually the intended target audience for this title?

Art is generally decent with character designs that are a cross between Strike Witches and Smile Precure! Animation is good for about half the series but incredibly lazy elsewhere, which really shouldn't be surprising given it was by A-1 Pictures. A-1 Pictures clearly poured a lot of budget in this show but considering they were doing about 6 titles in the last season, including Shin Sekai Yori, Fairy Tail, Magi, Uchuu Kyoudai, and Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru, this was the show that people likely cared the least about and felt like a waste of budget. Vividred Operation is also unsurprisingly heavy with CGI.

OP is pretty decent by earthmind. ED are basically a mix of seiyuu singers. All are fitting with the series but long-term memorability is a different issue. Background music is quite good in this show, particularly with the transformation sequences. Sound effects are decent as well. Seiyuu is mostly new members in the industry and I generally didn't have any complaints. Maaya Uchida is definitely rising fast though.

Enjoyment? Not particularly. The show plays on the idea of friendship, which I'm okay with as titles such as Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha have done this successfully, but it's the lack of a strong antagonist and "reasonable" world destruction plan that really hurts this theme in the show. There's just too much fluff in this show for it's own good. If you want a better "deus ex" friendship title, Rinne no Lagrange is a far more amusing watch. Obviously Strike Witches is the biggest competitor to this title with Sky Girls and Nanoha coming in as distant seconds.

Overall, Vividred Operation along with Maoyuu were supposedly the most hyped title among Japanese otaku coming into the season. Of course, the result of the former is far from what it deserved. Vividred Operation is not a complete failure but it's certainly not a memorable or valuable title either. If the show had at least tried to be original maybe it would have received more attention, but considering it's a clear knock off of numerous other titles, it's better to really just stay away from this.

Preliminary Score: 6/10
Final Score: 5/10

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back