Watashiga Motenainowa Dō Kangaetemo Omaeraga Warui

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

julez

-chibi
Retired
989s.jpg

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! aka Watamote

Genre: Comedy, School, Shounen
Studio: Silver Link
Director: Shin Oonuma (Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, Kokoro Connect)
Series Composition: Takao Yoshioka (High School DxD, Working'!!)

Original Creator: Nico Tanigawa (A pen name for two different artists)

Music: Sadesper Record (Hanamaru Youchien)

Number of episodes: unknown

Opening Theme:
"Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui (私がモテないのはどう考えてもお前らが悪い)" by Konomi Suzuki n' Kiba of Akiba

Ending Theme:
"Dou Kangaete mo Watashi wa Warukunai (どう考えても私は悪くない)" by Tomoko Kuroki (CV: Izumi Kitta)

Synopsis:
Kuroki Tomoko is a super popular, high school girl who has had 50 years of dating experience and 100 boys... in the Otome game world. In the real world, she is a 15-year-old shut in who has all of the qualities of a "mojo" (a gloomy or unpopular woman).

However, when school isn't going as she expected, and she isn't as popular as she had thought she was, she takes a look at herself in the mirror for the first time in a few years, and has some shocking revelations...

(Source:MAL)

Cast:
Izumi Kitta as Tomoko Kuroki
Kana Hanazawa as Yū Naruse
Yūichi Nakamura as Tomoki Kuroki

Preview: youtube

Thoughts: I'm pretty interested in this one, it's sort of the reverse situation of Keima from KamiNomi, because she seems to actually want real friends. I am unfamiliar with Izumi Kitta, and wonder what her voice sounds like... MAL comments seem to suggest she fits the character. I'm also wondering how long the episodes will be, I hope this isn't one of those 5 minute shows. I'm thinking that way because of how small the cast is.

I'm not going to lie, this show was definitely all kinds of depressing. I thought it was going to be funny, and even though it had its moments... all I could think of is how extreme social anxiety is crippling this girl.
However I did like her playing the otome games and how she reacted to the "hot" guy at the convenience store. I remember blushing too at that age when I was served by a cute cashier lol.
Also, was it just me or were there a couple of Death Note parodies? The OP reminded me of it, and I am 99% positive that how she was searching the internet on how to be "cuter" was a Death Note reference. It almost looked like Light quickly writing names in his Death Note
tongue.gif

Well it give an interesting take to the depressed hiikikomori type here. Although I have to say the OP/ED do fit the stylings of this show mind you.

Oddly enough I want to say she's a masocistic yandere here at times, but whens he doesn't try so hard she isn't bad looking. I mean she even said it might be part of her looks here, but unfortunatelly she did go a bit overboard with looking up everything on the net here.
rolleyes.gif

In any case this might turn into one of those sleeper hits for this season I'll bet.
tongue.gif

And yes the Death Note paroidy there was nice since it felt like she was either trying to be light Light from the get-go with his fancy execution style like writing, or Light's subordinate near the end of the series. I mean if you're going to do something do it with style.
laugh.gif

Other than the super OP sequence, I just found this boring. I hope she really finds a friend to contrast her character against, because just following her around as she avoids social contact is really not interesting. It might work if the setups and her delusions managed to generate some comedy, but pretty much every gag they pulled in this episode fell flat.

QUOTE (AccipiterF1 @ Jul 10 2013, 10:02 AM) Other than the super OP sequence, I just found this boring. I hope she really finds a friend to contrast her character against, because just following her around as she avoids social contact is really not interesting. It might work if the setups and her delusions managed to generate some comedy, but pretty much every gag they pulled in this episode fell flat.
Well what bothered me is that the show is basically making fun of this girl with a severe case of social anxiety disorder.
I've had that before (though nowhere near this extreme) and I know how painful it can be when you want to reach out and talk to people but its hard to get the words out. It's just difficult for me to laugh at that when I know that people suffer from this everyday.

However like I mentioned before there were a few gags I found amusing. But so far it didn't live up to my expectations. I agree that it wasn't as good, kinda overly hyped?

This one peaked my interest as a manga a while back, but I could not bring myself to go past page 8 or so of it because the way it poked fun at anxiety disorders just... felt like shots below the belt. I thought I might check it out later on in the season, but the initial reviews seem disheartening. Any sign of things getting better?

Okay after the second episode I have to say that I am liking this series becuase for some reason she almost reminds me of Konata from Lucy Star minus her friends of course. Oddly enough I still say she is kind of a masochistic hikkikomori that has a slight yandere issue as well.

In any case it seems like she's either trying way too hard on things, or doing stuff at the wrong time or so. That and it looks like she easilly get's keyed up over the small things as well.

Never the less I still think it's a watchable series though.

This girl really is something. As mentioned in the previous posts her case of social anxiety disorder is bad. She wants to get attention but as soon as she gets some from people she is afraid (as seen in episode 1). Of course she is jealous of the people who can act normally (like her classmates or that couple on the bridge) as that is impossible for her to reach so that part is understandable. And to make it even worse other people do the thing most normal people would do when confronted with a person who seems abnormal...they ignore her or make sure to avoid her. Her brother does love her as his sister but he wants her out of his surroundings as he seems ashamed to know her. Her classmates don't talk to her and if they have to just for an apology. The saddest thing was at the end of episode 2..her hopes were false as the drawing of her was not more than just a background figure (let's hope Tomoko never finds out). Even her friend only called when she was depressed due to the fight with her boyfriend...Tomoko's environment doesn't help much either with getting rid of that disorder..
Tomoko may be gloomy but she still hopes to get a normal life. With all that problems she has and her environment not helping i am not sure she will get out of her gloomy situation..
This series looks like a comedy but the hidden meaning of Tomoko's problems is also clear. It is a drama too as she seems unable to help herself...

QUOTE (nijlandp @ Jul 20 2013, 12:01 PM)She wants to get attention but as soon as she gets some from people she is afraid (as seen in episode 1). Of course she is jealous of the people who can act normally (like her classmates or that couple on the bridge) as that is impossible for her to reach so that part is understandable.
I still cannot believe that Tomoko checked that girl's panties out and had to immediately convince herself that she's not a pervert. But man I can't lie I've done that same thing in a similar situation except for the fact I can readily admit it was perverted but still embrace x accept myself for who I am
cool.gif
Okay maybe Tomoko's reasoning was umm more for informative purposes than mine haha.

After watching the first episode I had conflicting emotions about continuing watching this show because frankly it was kinda damn depressing. But after this second episode I think I can start to understand more how the writer is trying to portray Tomoko as a character. She's a loner w/social issues for sure but there's a dark level of comedy to her that makes her intriguing. She's like the underdog but with one hell of a nasty bite. She doesn't necessarily need another person to communicate with in order to have an outrageously funny scene. Take for instance her self-dialogue in episode two about the female baseball club manager.

"I bet she likes someone on the team. Or maybe she's into buzz cuts."

"Taking care of players' bats 'down there' is a manger's job."

"Look, Manager, check out my special balls."

Another funny moment I liked was when her classmates were talking about how 'happy people' should all just die. The irony was that from Tomoko's POV they were the happy people who were all buddy-buddy congregating in a group while she eats lunch alone right beside them. Tomoko's response (below) was hilarious; I love the way she delivers her lines in such a non-nonchalant manner.

"You can take a year off my life. Just make those guys die in an accident, please."

You would have thought that Tomoko wouldn't be picky about who she might possibly befriend/romance but she was not too keen on the "fatso" guy at all in the beginning. I guess even someone as socially inept as Tomoko still has her standards haha. But it was amusing how she changed course after she saw that he did a cute (supposed... more normal than anything) drawing of her.

Though the best part (or most defining aspect I suppose you might say) about episode two was seeing her interact with her middle school best friend Yuu-chan. Yuu-chan's transformation into a cute HS student was probably predictable but nonetheless brought forth a great reaction from Tomoko. It was a great build-up w/lots of funny moments and emotions until Yuu-chan revealed why she truly wanted to see Tomoko in the first place. *Slow Claps* that was a brilliant ending! xD. All I can hope now is that the rest of the episodes can live up to this quality. I still wish the mangaka would not have put those ridiculous bags under Tomoko's eyes but I get it was for comedic purposes. We've got two absolutely crazy (but intriguing x fun) female leads this anime season in Tomoko along with Hajime of Gatchaman Crowds fame.

Tomoko is somewhat strange in certain areas...The beginning of episode 3 felt really pretty realistic. Who is not nervous when forgetting something important? Her reaction to her teacher when he called out to her about forgetting her book wa understandable. However something did show her disorder again: she sounded to be crying in the end. Her action with the umbrella and the following scene of her and two boys made it even more clear. She can't get a normal conversation as she is too afraid..What we did see though that some people do care for her but she is unable to see it. The umbrella that they left for her must give her some clue..she can't see or understand it though. Her actions with her brother were the worst of all: she is pretty mean to him but somehow she also needs him. Every time he gets more attention from people like their mother and his classmates she will get more jealous and so will her actions become more cruel. However he seems to be the only one she is able to show her real emotions..Also sad was the PE class. Her standing in the background and not being chosen felt awkward. Some positive thing did happen though: Yuu does seem to remain a friend to her. Although Yuu seems to be something Tomoko is unable to become..

Okay, first I'm stating that I am not panning this anime. But I had to ask myself after that AWESOME opening, "Where's the anime that goes with the OP? I really want to see THAT one!"
huh.gif

The show actually hits a bit too close to home for me, as my highschool days were quite a bit less remarkable, than I felt the average guy's was... Always being around guys who had girlfriends, yet I didn't. Not being the smartest, strongest, quickest, best-looking, best-dressed, most respected, etc... etc... Ad nauseum.

All that said, I really am sad to say that I truly believe that whoever wrote the dialogue for this anime was also truly unpopular, or tapped the mind of someone who was willing to be TOTALLY honest, as I see her thinking things here that I am loath to admit even to myself in my memories... Dark, spiteful things that just crept-in sometimes, even though I didn't really mean them.

This is not a show for the pretty/happy people, as I don't believe that many of them will be able to relate. (Though I am sure that there are some "Surface pretty/happy people" who while seemingly bright and cheery to the world at large, secretly will be able to empathize with Tomoko.)

One thing bothers me though, WHAT'S WITH HER AND HER BROTHER'S EYES? I could see Tomoko since she admits herself to living an "unhealthy lifestyle", but her brother exercises, is in sports, and seems to sleep pretty normally, so why do his eyes always look like he's on METH, or something too?

QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Jul 30 2013, 09:33 PM)
One thing bothers me though, WHAT'S WITH HER AND HER BROTHER'S EYES? I could see Tomoko since she admits herself to living an "unhealthy lifestyle", but her brother exercises, is in sports, and seems to sleep pretty normally, so why do his eyes always look like he's on METH, or something too?

It is probably a family issue. Maybe they have those bags below their eyes as a genetic part.
Tomoko really did it this time. Her reaction to the train molesters was just terrible...who wants to be molested? she is starting to get so desperate to want to have such a thing happen to her just to get attention? The scene itself with the naginata was due to these remarks a lot less funny (as intended by the writers probably...until now the 'funny' things in this series can be interpretated to also be very sad..Tomoko is not a girl who can be laughed at. She has a serious problem.).
The underwear scene felt pretty normal compared to that scene. Tomoko just was forgetfull..although that boy in her class will never forget that action.
The highlight however was her father. He seemed really nice to actually clean up her stuff and put her to bed. I expected him to go bananas due to the scene but he seemed to know/accept that she is growing up or has some problems. The only weak point is that we didn't get to see if he knows that Tomoko has a serious problem. Her brother knows but he doesn't understand it. Does her father and mother know?

The scene in the train with the naginata was really awkward and sad. It was funny but in a dark way. Who wants to be molested? Is she that desperate for atention that she would wish to get molested? Actually, she was midway fantasizing about being molested in the train. She thought it was really happening but it was just a naginata! How weird is that? She really has serious problems... And she's so envyous about her friend! Feeling envy is actually a good sign, it means she wants to improve and realizes she needs to improve herself. Looking up to her friend and feeling like she should be like that is the first step in the long way she's got ahead of herself in order to grow up to be a functional adult.
This series is great, really! I'm always looking forward to the next episode and I'm starting to bond with the main character! I see a little bit of myself in her when I was younger, since I wasn't very good at maintaining friends.
I hope the next episode shows some more scenes like the underwear scene. Those scenes are hilarious! But I also want some more akward scenes like what she said to the 2 boys when it was raining.

For some reason at times when she's with her freind she kind of shows something along the line of being considered as Dark Konata in an odd way. Although sometimes she does have those moments even by herself too.

In any case I kind of found it funny that she bought herself a cute pair of panties and was planing to use them to be popular. Although that's only part of it, since she kind of needs to work on her highly twisted personality first beofre doing anything about that.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Aug 03 2013, 02:27 PM) In any case I kind of found it funny that she bought herself a cute pair of panties and was planing to use them to be popular. Although that's only part of it, since she kind of needs to work on her highly twisted personality first before doing anything about that.
Nah...I doubt she needs to work on her "highly twisted and warped personality" before any guy would check her out.
rolleyes.gif
For all we know, were she sporting those "cute pair of panties" as you say, Woofie-tan, maybe they would at least look at her and she would notice how many "looked" at her and tally the count and thus claim victory in the popularity category...what a sad sack life.
blink.gif

This was again very sad to see. Tomoko trying to change her appearance by acting emotionless was sad indeed. Her almost crying in the classroom made it so clear that she is having trouble to keep her sadness inside. The following part with the photos was a bit more lighthearted. Again her brother seems to be some kind of support for her as she does try to get him to help her. The last part with her trying for cabaret was awkward in the beginning but the ending made it clear that even though she is so depressed she does have some good thing behind her: she has a home and is part of a family.

It's really troubling that her classmates don't even ackowledge her presence. It's so weird! They don't even pick on her or tell her she's weird. They just act as if she didn't exist! It's terrible, it makes me sad! Isn't there a teacher who can help her out and bring her classmates to welcome her into the class?

QUOTE (Sora_Nobodie @ Aug 10 2013, 02:03 PM)It's really troubling that her classmates don't even ackowledge her presence. It's so weird! They don't even pick on her or tell her she's weird. They just act as if she didn't exist! It's terrible, it makes me sad! Isn't there a teacher who can help her out and bring her classmates to welcome her into the class?

That indeed is the saddest part of all. Outside of the school the shop people do talk to her even if she is gloomy. Her classmates do know she is there as you could see in the episode. They seem to have done the worst thing of all the people in the series and that is to ignore her. That part with the basketball and the tennis game made it so clear she just wants to be fit in but they completely keep to theirselves...
Ps: i just heard K'naan with the song Is anybody out there on the radio..that felt to fit perfectly for Tomoko..they just don't want to see her..

QUOTE (julezia @ Jun 27 2013, 11:06 AM)it's sort of the reverse situation of Keima from KamiNomi, because she seems to actually want real friends.

I'm also wondering how long the episodes will be, I hope this isn't one of those 5 minute shows. I'm thinking that way because of how small the cast is.
QUOTE (Knorris908 @ Jul 30 2013, 03:33 PM)Okay, first I'm stating that I am not panning this anime. But i had to ask myself after that AWESOME opening, "Where's the anime that goes with the OP? I really want to see THAT one!"
huh.gif
Lol actually that contrast fits with KamiNomi (airing the same day) and its OP made me try ep.1 but just like you pals I dropped it for its awkward and depressing vibe, i think this would have been more bearable if its episodes were short like Recorder & randsell Mi ;p i just tried it again out of curiousity to see how good or bad went... and i ended marathoning it up to ep.6 xD so 'air sex' made her prettier but her bro still has bags under his eyes -.- did he born that way? their parents don't have any, anyway not much to say apart from most of the posts above which summarize my thoughts ¬¬ my first impression used to be 'Ex: droplist candidate - PS 5/10'

also in the latest Imagine-Nation vids i watched its review and Japan Expo 2013

Okay I might as well try and be straight with everyone here and say I might be the only one the plough through this series on my own then. I mean yes this show has it's hit-and-miss moments, but it's mostly due to the fact that sometimes the stunts she tends to pull turn out to backfire in the worst way possible. Yes I do fell bad for her when this happens since she's learning what not to do the hard way it seems.

Although with this episode yes she still tries to hard as always, but at the same time when she was playing her otome games she looked like she started to have a new lease on life here. Also, it didn't really help her when she stopped bathing and what made things even worse was when she pestered that ant colony there too.

Although at least things came back in the end when she was with those two middle schoolers there. I mean it was pretty much a good guess why they were there with the building over next door there.
laugh.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back