What should we do with older episodes?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

What should we do with the old episodes?

• Delete them

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Archive them in RMVB

• Smart Delete them

• Total voters

sasha

-sama
Retired
The Smart Deletion requirements:

The anime episode must:
  • Have not had one complete download
  • Be over one month old
biggrin.gif

What exactly do you mean by "not had one complete download?"
Does that mean a complete serie of one complete ep?
huh.gif

I mean, if someone makes an authorization, and downloads an ep half way, and stops, that's not a complete download.

Im stuck between delete and smart delete.. but ill pick smart since the name sounds... well smarter, and dosen't seem as harsh as plain ole "DELETE" lol :)

delete option means auto-delete or manual delete?

for me the smart delete thing is a bit too lenient.. even if a series is old and unpopular, there might stil be a person or two download certain eps every week..

and by using those 2 conditions, you will ended up a lot of holes in the series.. for example:

My-Hime 18
My-Hime 17
My-Hime 16
My-Hime 15
My-Hime 14
My-Hime 11
My-Hime 8
My-Hime 7
My-Hime 3

Beck 20
Beck 19
Beck 18
Beck 17
Beck 16
Beck 14
Beck 12
Beck 9
Beck 7
Beck 5
Beck 4

IMO its not nice and hard to manage. Also the eps thats going to be removed is completely unpredictable. Hence, i prefer the auto delete system.

QUOTE (sasha @ Feb 21 2005, 03:22 AM) I mean, if someone makes an authorization, and downloads an ep half way, and stops, that's not a complete download.
There's no way to track if a person finishes a download or not. The server logging has been turned off because the log files just grow too big too fast.

QUOTE (sasha @ Mar 2 2005, 10:26 PM) Hmm... I see... Then maybe authorizations count as completed downloads.
Erm, the authorisations is only there telling you that this file has started downloading. It won't tell you if its completed or not unless you compare it with the transfer of the data with respects to the file size. I'm pretty sure something like that can be made, but its not exactly very useful at anyrate and would probably waste resources.

You should place the older episodes on another server or the sister server if anyone wants to get caught up on these episodes. That's my plan, that if I have everything that I need (cable modem, 3 external hard drives, and 512 MB on my old computer) I will try to set up a FTP site for every episode that I have download, I have thought of a name, called, "Anime Repeat". How catchy is that?
biggrin.gif

Lol! Good idea Dante. What we thought was to share the newer episodes over both servers, so neither server gets overloaded.

Wow! that a good idea.But even that idea was very cute,i have some pesimist point in the word "Old".Are you sure DanteNeko-chan,that Old things can work?,if it really can work i must learn to you how to make that miracle(because i have one old PC too,that now just sit on a cupboard)
tongue.gif

Okay, I'll say this one more time.

For the best downloads and video performance, use the following:

Firefox: As a web browser;
FlashGet: As a download manager;
VLC/The Core Media Player: As a media player;

The advantage of VLC is you do not need any codecs - not even DivX. The Core Media Player you do need codecs, but it's a nicer layout. It's up to you. Try both and see which one you prefer. They both do the same thing
happy.gif

Im going to make a stand and disagree with the best choices of video player: VLC player.

Pro's:
  • No need to look up codecs for the player - I messed with my perfect settings to try this out, and asked around as well, it is valid. so there is no need to run around looking for codecs.
  • Ease of use, due to lack of many technical options, just looks like windows media player classic. (User friendly)
Cons:
  • Lacks much needed options for bad monitors (such as mine) (colour/contrast/brightness controls)
  • No screen capture option. - I like this option but not really necessary.
  • Loads some files really slowly or not at all. (.wmv files loaded too slowly, doesn't play .rm files at all)
  • Skipping to various points on the file causes blocks to form for a few seconds which goes away after the scene changes. Really annoying to be honest, and i've not really experienced this with other players either.
  • For .ogm and .mkv files with subtitles you must enable them for them to work. (More work and only a minor factor).
My preference is still BS player, although you will have to look for the codecs its so much better in the long run. Since it does not experience many of the cons listed. The only problem is its laden with options that it may scare people away from it.

VLC player is good to start off with and is exceptionally good for people just looking into anime but the professional choice would be BS player. (Don't take my word for it yet i just wanted to use that phrase once
happy.gif
- I still need to try out Core media player, and will edit this post with my findings.)

I've never tried BS player... But I personally prefer Core. Try it and let me know. I never really liked VLC... It's Daft's favourite player, so it has to have SOME good aspects.

But yeah, I understand what you're saying. And nice work - I might publish that or something
happy.gif

vlc is very nice thou..but what makes me annoyed is everytime i played ogm or mkv files, the picture got messy when i forward them. other than that, its a very useful player^^

QUOTE (nyunyu @ Mar 9 2005, 03:54 AM) vlc is very nice thou..but what makes me annoyed is everytime i played ogm or mkv files, the picture got messy when i forward them. other than that, its a very useful player^^

QUOTE Skipping to various points on the file causes blocks to form for a few seconds which goes away after the scene changes. Really annoying to be honest, and i've not really experienced this with other players either.

Yeah I already mentioned that
happy.gif
. i'm going to finish this tonight and edit that post with a comparison between VLC, Core media and BS players, as well as including links to codecs and the like.

This will be my greatest masterpiece. (hopefully)

vlc is not only the easiest to use for the user but its also the most resource efficient. media player classic comes in second being overall very good... bsplayer is fine also but i prefer mpc. .. and i havn't seen problems forwarding through it in particular with ogm/mkv but it can be a bit jumpy with any file... but hardly something to complain about, a show is generally meant to be watched in its entirity is it not? o_O

as far as codecs, they are quite easy to come by these days, you can find a pack with everything you need now.

@sasha, I dont see a purpose for a download manager unless your hammering servers *cougH*.. or just have a slow isp and need it for occasional interruptions you might get.

firefox... what does the browser have to do with downloading and video performance lol X_X ... and btw firefox has a download manager.
i use i.e. and firefox but anywho...

QUOTE firefox... what does the browser have to do with downloading and video performance lol X_X ... and btw firefox has a download manager.
i use i.e. and firefox but anywho...

IMO, Firefox is waaay better then IE. And Opera won't even load the front page. It's your decision, and the download managers are just handy to have. Not only for Fansub.TV, but for downloading anything. Personally, again, IMO, I feel download managers give you more power over your downloads.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back