What would you like to know about Iceland

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
QUOTE (tonifreyr @ Feb 06 2008, 10:02 AM) Your welcome chuuko

@Nahrallah
Sry forgot to answer you in the earlier post( was very busy looking for pics)

The reason I didnt recognize them is cause you called them Sagas wich is a name i hadnt heard before.

The sagas you mention there are both some of wich I studied a long time ago and some that i am studying right now.

Most of these are very fictionus in my opinion, they always Make the heroes bigger, stronger and more brutal in stories.

here's my reasoning,
Just look at the story about beowulf(Bjólfur) he is said to have swam for five days(thus 5 hours) and then killed 3 seamonsters(3 or even 1 shark, shark=seamonster)
thats my opinion anyways

Im about to start Short tales of Icelanders (Íslendingaþættir) in Icelandic class.

I just got promoted to- dono
yay
laugh.gif

No worries. Thanks for the information.
happy.gif

Iceland looks very beautiful. Perhaps, one day, I'll be able to visit the land where my langamma and langafi were born.
Oh! Congratulations on receiving the title "dono".
biggrin.gif
Til hamingju! (I really hope that I got that right!)

QUOTE (Nahrallah @ Feb 05 2008, 06:11 PM)
No worries. Thanks for the information.

Iceland looks very beautiful. Perhaps, one day, I'll be able to visit the land where my langamma and langafi were born.
Oh! Congratulations on receiving the title "dono". Til hamingju! (I really hope that I got that right!)

Its correct,
ohmy.gif

your grandparents were icelandic? where'd they live,
did you know them(in person)???

Do your police typically carry firearms?

What kind of crops are most common?

Does Iceland make/export anything?

Don't you guys have geothermal heating? Or is that Greenland? If it is Iceland and not Greenland tell me about it.

Beautiful country indeed....I took some of your pictures, dear tonifreyr....as desktop background material.....now then here is my question....or questions...
What type of foods are eaten by your people?
Does the fishing industry have a big stake in what folks eat?
Are any breeds of sturdy game or cattle, able to survive the elements?
Does ranching or horse breeding thrive in Iceland?

I thank you in advance, for your kind responses.
laugh.gif

QUOTE (tonifreyr @ Feb 06 2008, 10:33 AM)
Its correct,
ohmy.gif

your grandparents were icelandic? where'd they live,
did you know them(in person)???
I'm glad that I got it right. Sadly, I know almost no Icelandic.

Unfortunately, I didn't know my great-grandparents and I don't know where they lived. There's no one that I can ask as my Amma, who was born in Canada (the family ultimately moved there), passed away when I was quite young.

ughh I just wrote this whole post and my Internet explorer HAD AN ERROR AND SHUT DOWN
20 minutes just gone like that
mad.gif

anyways......................

QUOTE (smokie @ Feb 05 2008, 06:41 PM)Do your police typically carry firearms?

What kind of crops are most common?

Does Iceland make/export anything?

Don't you guys have geothermal heating? Or is that Greenland? If it is Iceland and not Greenland tell me about it.

No the police do not carry firearms at all, the icelandic special forces deal with that.

Crops arent common at all here, allmost all the plains are reserved for grownig grass to store for the winter so the animals dont starve, also the climate is too irregular for any crops to survive, We do have agriculturals stations though, a few only but enough to supply us with greens for the year.

We export fish mainly, too much fish really, lately fish-factory workers hve been losing their jobs because there's too little fish to process.

We do heat our houses with hot water either in ovens on the walls or waterpipes under the floor, this is possible due to the fact that Hot water is EXTREMELY cheap in iceland and the cold water even less so, the cold water is also drinkable and is very good water.

QUOTE (ImTakes @ Feb 05 2008, 06:42 PM)Beautiful country indeed....I took some of your pictures, dear tonifreyr....as desktop background material.....now then here is my question....or questions...
What type of foods are eaten by your people?
Does the fishing industry have a big stake in what folks eat?
Are any breeds of sturdy game or cattle, able to survive the elements?
Does ranching or horse breeding thrive in Iceland?
I thank you in advance, for your kind responses.

We eat alot of imported food and recipies, we have all the meat and such and import the rest of wich we need, we produce our own milk products and beverages.
We also eat icelands richest resource wich is the fish, but not as often as some think.
We also have some native recipies wich i must say WILL look disgusting to you

Here is a description from a english site that I found wich is very accurate in describing the look and taste, but i will post pictures with it.
Click at your own risk
ph34r.gif

1) Hákarl. This is the famous putrefied shark, buried for several weeks then allowed to dry in the wind. It's OK when you first bite into it, and for the first period of chewing, but suddenly the flavour kicks in and it's truly revolting. I gagged several times but did manage to swallow. Brennivin(A wine so strong it burns your throat, he didnt mention this so I added it, Tonifreyr ) is supposed to clear the taste but I had the car, and Coca-Cola just didn't seem to work as well.
Shark in a jar
biggrin.gif

hakarlwz3.jpg

2) Blóðmör. Sausage of sheep's stomachs filled with rye, raisins and sheep's blood. I've never been a fan of black puddings but this was surprisingly good. It tastes a bit like a gamey version of corned beef.
Its the dark brown looking stuff to the left in the middle
02112005056xn4.jpg

3) Hrútspungur. Ram's scrotum with testicles. Sharp but pleasant - taste and texture not unlike a strong Lancashire cheese.
My crotch hurt the only time I tried to eat this
sad.gif

hrutspungarpn2.gif

4) Lundabaggi. Roll of sheep's fat and belly muscles. This has a very high fat content but tastes like a normal smoked lamb otherwise. It leaves you feeling as if you've got a thin coating of fat inside your mouth.
Couldnt find a picture, sorry
unsure.gif

5) I didn't get an Icelandic name for this one, but it was described as pig jam. It's effectively ham in jelly and tastes quite like tinned ham.
No picture here either
ohmy.gif

6) Svið. This is made from the assorted meats that can be salvaged from a sheep's head (excluding the brains but including the tongue, cheeks and eyeballs). Again, they taste like meat in jelly. Lots of jelly.
This description however is not accurate, That wich he is talking about is Sviða-Sulta(Sviða-Jelly)
Svið is a boiled sheeps head and icelandic often eat the meat by plucking it off the head, excluding the brain and eyes.
The warning still stands, you still wanna see this
blink.gif

svidlc2.jpg

7) Harðfiskur. Dried fish eaten spread with butter in the same manner as bread. Not at all bad, and very popular.

8) Again, no Icelandic name but it's smoked ham and tastes like smoked ham.

I also tried the hangikjöt or 'hanged meat', which is a smoked mutton and quite pleasant. It looks like the smoked ham but is a little darker.

About the fishing industry, no I dont think they do.
We put the cattle inside over winter, barns and such
In the old times the living quarters of a house were on the floor above the animals so the body heat from the animals would go up and warm the house.
Just a bit of extra knowledge
wink.gif

It doenst actually thrive, but it is popular,
Did you know that Icelandic horses have Five types of walking/running, i dont know tha translation for them but ill check if you really want to know

O probably wouldnt mind eating stuff as long as I wasn't told the exact details. I'll never be able to visit Iceland now
sad.gif

So private citizens can't own firearms? I take it none of you hunt? Speaking of hunting what kind of wildlife do you have?

@smokie
Private citicens can have firearms, but you cant have them on you in public or something. my foster brother owns a sniper rifle.
Hunting is semi popular here even, also the wildlife is only small creatures aside from a few deers and such far into the country, foxes, rabbits, mouses, rats and lots of birds

@gustl1976
These foods are very rarely eaten in iceland, I myself dont eat any of that exept for the sheeps head, Its surprisingly good when you get over the fact that your food is looking at you
wink.gif

My family eats alot things, like burritos, hamburgers, pizza(onca a week) spaghetti, gulasch stroganoff, meatballs in brown sauce, beef, chicken, and lamb etc. etc.

Here are another 3 question's...

1. What is the largest city in Iceland besides the capital of Iceland??

2. (I don't know if this question is allready been asked) What is the most beautiful place in Iceland??

3. Are the people that are living in Iceland friendly??

QUOTE (Chuuko @ Feb 06 2008, 02:48 PM)Here are another 3 question's...

1. What is the largest city in Iceland besides the capital of Iceland??

2. (I don't know if this question is allready been asked) What is the most beautiful place in Iceland??

3. Are the people that are living in Iceland friendly??

the second largest is called ''Kópavogur'' the third largest is''Hafnarfjörður''(thats where I live

Thats a matter of opinion, Hljóðaklettar is very beautiful in summer, Its really an amazing place, the mountains there are lined up in a strange way so that when you stand on top of the mountain and you see the people down on the ground(they look half the size of your thumb ) then talk, just in a normal voice, and they can hear you like you were standing 2 feet away from them
blink.gif

here's a good description i found while searching for pics of the mountains.

Hljóðaklettar (Echo rocks) are the remains of ancient volcanoes which have been heavily eroded by the Jökulsá, leaving only the volcanic plugs behind. The trail starts at the car park at Hljóðaklettar and it takes about 1 hour to walk the 2.4 km. Visitors can get a free booklet containing a description of this trail from the park rangers.

here's a picture, I couldnt find a proper one of the mountains so I just re-posted the earlier one of the trail.
img4251kp4.jpg

Some are, some arent, just like normal, Exept that when a fight or something breaks out downtown there is always someone who tries to stop, or if someone sees something wrong with someone they try and help, not everybody but there is always someone,

Like this one time downtown I got into a fight with a drunk guy, after the first two punches in the fight we were being dragged apart by like, five or six complete strangers each.
hop this helps
wink.gif

haha
laugh.gif

I got three simple questions wich I could have answered
Kópavogur
depends on taste
sometimes

I do love talking
wink.gif

Thank's allot for the information, the more the better
biggrin.gif

It helped allot
tongue.gif

Iceland is getting more and more interesting now
laugh.gif

I'm going to try to think for some more question's.
smile.gif

Thank's again
biggrin.gif

Take care now
wink.gif

Is Björk's music very popular in Iceland?
Is her music typical of Icelandic music or is her style unique?

Björk is semi famous here in iceland
Her style is unique, iceland has other good bands such as this one called Mínus
check this vidThe Long face

On a side note, My stepbrothers dad is good friends with Björk, Ive met her, several times.
I have also met Jonathan Davis from Korn and the guys from jackass.

What kind of jobs are available? Are there any that are unique or associated with Iceland?

toni if I come to iceland can I eat what YOU guys are eating? I love stroganoff and most of the other stuff you mentioned lol
as long as the sheeps head doesnt wink at me I'd be ok I think
tongue.gif

If it winks though except me to scream like a 6 year old girl
laugh.gif

oh yes what's the job market like over there? are there many jobs?

Gustl1976! come on, you know the rules! No double posting~ Dun make me get out the rule stick!

Anyway, I actually thought up a question for you: Does Iceland have beaches? And if it does, are those beaches an attractive swim spot? I understand that the water there is a warm current and thus a temperate environment which means the ocean water during the summer might be nice temperature.

@Gustl1976 and Smokie
The job market here is Very common I cant think of any jobs that are aout of the ordinary,
Jobs used to be in ambudance(Jobs for non educatet people)Jobs that require education are always alvailable, but all that changed a few years ago when the immigrants started pouring in and taking most of the minimum wages jobs
mellow.gif

There is one beach in all of iceland, and its artificial, Water all over iceland is allways freezing, but if you get in there you get used to it, Rivers and creeks and lakes are more popular in the summer.

it wasnt a deliberate double post, I'm juust a bit absent-minded and occasionally forgot to say things until after I hit "add reply"
sad.gif

please don't hit me again
unsure.gif

QUOTE (tonifreyr @ Feb 07 2008, 02:28 PM) but all that changed a few years ago when the immigrants started pouring in and taking most of the minimum wages jobs
mellow.gif

Immigrants from where? Illegal perhaps?

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back