Which player do you use?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

TNT

-nii
Retired
I have been trying out different players and was hoping that some of you have a suggestion of a player and why do you use it?

So far ive tried:
Core
BS (am I the only one who thinks of bullshit when he sees this name?)
Real player

i use VLC, mainly because there aren't many other worthwhile options for the mac
tongue.gif
but VLC is great, it does the essencial things in a great way. the biggest problem right now is its support for subtitles.. it doesn't work too well =/

/jp

I've tried a lot of them, and here are my comments:

WMP - Kinda okay, not really my type of player. Very simple and little features. IMO it's like comparing Microsoft Paint to Photoshop.
VLC - Very interesting. Doesn't need any codecs, so it's very handy to have. A bit of trouble with fastforwarding and rewinding, taking screenshots and finding certain frames, but it's an okay player. Can play incomplete files. A pretty dirty skin.
The Core Media Player - Sleek. My favourite player. Has a playlist so you can play all your episodes/music tracks in a row without having to click them, I think you can do the same with WMP, but I prefer this one. VERY sexy layout, smooth and can handle complex instructions, or you can leave it simple as is. Needs codecs to play, scans for all codecs on your computer before you play. From my experience, I cannot play incomplete files, but some people say otherwise, so I don't know. A very good option for a player.
Nero Showtime - Amazing. A cross between VLC and The Core Media Player, this player has some basic codecs built into it, but still uses the ones on your computer. Decent skin, which you can change, and I use it as a last resort, because it plays just about anything. On fullscreen it tends to blur videos a bit, but it's not much of a problem.
RealPlayer - I use it for RM and RMVB. Nothing else. I like it but I can do better
wink.gif
A nice Web Browser that's fun to have. More of a work of art then a media player, IMO.
MPlayer - If you have Linux, yes. If you have Windows, no. No visual layout, just a box with a video, I still do not know how to do anything but pause, and it's run by MS-DOS. I deleted it a long time ago, and I don't even consider it a player. Where are all the buttons?
DivX Player - Good, again, but only uses the DivX codec and such. Can't play much else. Nice layout, pretty sharp when fullscreen, and a nice player for DivX and XviD movies.
ZPlayer - Love, angel, music, baby. Plays every single file, including RealMedia and Flash Movies. Even plays Flash Games (just a tad hard to play)! I've never found a more convenient player. It's one of those all-in-one players, almost a combination of everything above. You need your own codecs, but not all of them. It has the basics built into it. IMO, the perfect player. But others may disagree. Interesting skin with a soft feel.

@ Sasha A agree with you on the core player. However, for some reason it will not play certain files (distorted colors) right, whereas bsplayer does. I also cant find a ff or a rw and sometimes the player will not respond to my mouse commands when other windows are opened in the background.

QUOTE Wow. It's interesting you say that.
Hope you dont take this negatively, but this is a weird reply. Why is it interesting? Have you had the same problems?
blink.gif
Or was this meant sarcastic? (you dont seem like the kind to use sarcasm)

Not yet, but I have just downed Zplayer and will try it when I get home.
happy.gif
(I also downen media player classic, I have heard good things about it)

What I like about core is that its interface is a lot like Winamp. Now if only core had the media library and easy playlists acces and it would be great.

I liked realplayer, it has good ff and rewind and is easy to use, also with a divx codec it will play avi's.
happy.gif
I dropped it when I encountered other formats that it wouldnt support. I also hated that realplayer would always try to acces the internet and always had a (i think update) program running in the background.
dry.gif

I tried divxplayer a long time ago, but hated it back then.

BSplayer has a stylish interface, but im not to fond of it. Also, unlike the core, for some reason it will not play the latest mai hime with sound.
blink.gif

On the Mac I play VLC and Mplayer OSX. On Linux I use VLC and Mplayer.
tongue.gif

WMP for all the standard xvid/divx stuff Zoomplayer or the mkv,ogm,rvmb files. When I need screenshots I use Zoomplayer.

i use mpc, vlc, zoonplayer, bsplayer, usually just mpc
--but i use the others sometimes. since i just used this mega codec pack or whatever its called because i had corrupted codecs or something was affecting certain combinations by encoders, i used that pack to rewrite everything. but it effects mpc in a weird way changing the resolutions when i play files sometimes >> so then i use vlc
tongue.gif

handling codec is a bit irritating.. its like drivers.. so yah, installing a few codec packs will just conflic them more. i had a lot of problems with codec too.. but after sometime i found out that the best way is to (format yr pc and) install k-lite mega codec pack. this codec is fully tested and supported. its by far the best codec pack ive found on the net. mpc and bsplayer comes with the pack too.

i've been using mpc ever since to play all kind of video files and i've never had any video/sound problem at all.

you guys should give k-lite mega codec pack and mpc a try if you ever reformat yr pc or sumthing ^

I tried Mediaplayer classic...talk about a step back after trying all those goodlooking players.
blink.gif
It will play anything, but I dont like the interface. Its a bit like the ancient versions of Windows mediaplayer.

By the way, Windows media player managed to play a file correctly that the core wouldnt.
blink.gif

I have the k-lite megacodec pack installed.
happy.gif
Its one of the few ways to get rm to play in other players.
laugh.gif

QUOTE Hope you dont take this negatively, but this is a weird reply. Why is it interesting? Have you had the same problems? blink.gif Or was this meant sarcastic? (you dont seem like the kind to use sarcasm)

No, I've had similar problems. But not the same type. Mine would play upside down, or only every second or third frame. It was annoying because it was like "auto-pausing" every second, and then unpausing, or it would just play upside-down and you can't rotate it. Annoying
biggrin.gif

Apperently there are still a few bugs to be worked out in the core.
wink.gif

Also tried zoomplayer, no opinion yet. Seems like a decent enough thing, but it wouldnt play that avi properly, just like Core. Maybe there is a conflict in my codecs, since windows media player can play it properly.
huh.gif

heh, when i watch movies i like my player to be as simple as possible without sacrificing the features (mpc can take screenshots, have playlist, play all kind of video etc). i never like winamp kind of interface neither, and my fav music player is foobar. they eat less memory and im very happy with it.

When I first started watching subbed anime on my comp., I went with WMP, cause... well... thats what opened when I clicked the file
laugh.gif

But after some time, I'd have to get some codec pack every couple of months, so I looked for another player. And, as of now, I use Core Media Player.
Why I like Core:
1. Fast Forward 10 seconds. Get through openings when I just dont wanna watch.
2. Track Bar (whatever) at the bottom in FS mode. Great if I wanna skip parts, and doesnt eat up the screen like WMP does.
3. Interface. Much like TNT said, its like WinAmp (which I used for music).

Now, I do use WMP if I want a scrnshot for a sig I want to make. Is there a way to do that in core? I know BS can do it.

I use windows media player 10 for basically everything combined with the lazymans mkv codec package,divx(full version), ogm codec with directvobsub and ac3 filter i can play anything fansubers can release. I use only realplayer v10.5 gold for rmvb and rm files. Divx player i use only for incomplete downloaded avi files such as the those you get from imesh or due to someone tripping over the phone line and then the server going into cool down phase
laugh.gif
and i cant wait. For Jpop i use full version of winamp and have as of yet figured out how the hell to place decent codecs in it. Iv tried other players but the anoyance that is caused by all these preloadable programs that cause your computer to slow down at startup are anoying. At least with realplayer and winamp you dont have to worry, not sure about the other players though since i gave up trying other players soon after i began trying them.

Jrow, I 100% agree. I do the exact same thing!!! But I'm sort of switching to ZPlayer, slowly but surely, because it can play more. ZPlayer also has a Track Bar that doesn't eat up the screen in FS mode. In DivX player, when you click and drag the tab in the "Track Bar", it gives you a screenshot of that frame, but in ZPlayer, it plays the whole scene that fits into that time slot.

QUOTE (Perverted Old Man @ Mar 15 2005, 06:27 PM) I use windows media player 10 for basically everything combined with the lazymans mkv codec package,divx(full version), ogm codec with directvobsub and ac3 filter i can play anything fansubers can release. I use only realplayer v10.5 gold for rmvb and rm files. Divx player i use only for incomplete downloaded avi files such as the those you get from imesh or due to someone tripping over the phone line and then the server going into cool down phase
laugh.gif
and i cant wait. For Jpop i use full version of winamp and have as of yet figured out how the hell to place decent codecs in it. Iv tried other players but the anoyance that is caused by all these preloadable programs that cause your computer to slow down at startup are anoying. At least with realplayer and winamp you dont have to worry, not sure about the other players though since i gave up trying other players soon after i began trying them.
Realplayer and Winamp start up in the background nless you turn it off and in the case of realplayer that will nmot help as it will turn part of it back on.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back