Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero: The Great Mankai Chapter

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
full

Japanese: 結城友奈は勇者である 大満開の章
Airing date: 2/10/2021 (Saturday release)
Episodes: 12
Genres: Dark magical girl, drama, fantasy
Studio: Studio Gokumi

Synopsis: Yuuki Yuuna is a dark magical girl series that deals with a group of girls who try and save the world from powerful monsters called vertexes. Unbeknownst to them is that the very magical powers they wield carry a hidden truth that will bring them great suffering. It is in these struggles where they find what it really means to be a hero!

Trailer:

Thoughts: I won’t lie; I can’t remember much of the details from the first two seasons of Yuuki Yuuna but despite some people saying this is a copycat of Madoka this series is actually good. The girls are likeable and the transformations sequences are cool! As is typical of dark magical series there is a lot of angst and despair to be had and there are some highly charged emotions scenes. I would give the previous seasons a go!

As for the first two episodes of season three each episode takes on quite a different tone. The opener is surprisingly a feel-good episode that sees our main girls let off some steam with a bunch of fun activities. I especially liked the opening part as it gave me K-On! vibes. These heart-warming moments don’t last however as the second episode brings us back to Earth with more harsh truths and action that is more typical of dark magical girl show. It is quite the ride but still early days to judge whether this a keeper or stinker. If you like magical girls or even yuri then this is worth a watch! For others we will need more episodes before making a final judgement.

Last edited:
Episode 3-4 Thoughts: Third episode is a bit of a rollercoaster ride as we get a bit of everything. Action? Check! Slice-of-life? Check! Comedy moments? Check! Check! Check! In other words this is a typical Yuuki Yuuna episode. I got to admit that due to the amount of topics thrown, it became rather tricky to know what exactly was going on or what weight to place for each scene. The main bits to grasp is the tension is rising and the big kicker comes right at the death so keep up with what happens there as it will be relevant later on!

The fourth episode is pure action and angst all the way to around the midpoint. Stuff happens that throws up numerous questions in regards to the Taisha's motive but more significant than that is we finally get a good idea that this season seems to be retell certain events from the Washio Sumi Chapter.

If you are a newcomer to Yuuki Yuuna then I feel you need to bail on this one lest you get major spoiled to stuff that happened in previous seasons. While The Great Mankai chapter bills itself as a sequel my feeling is this more a side-story or retelling of certain events. This makes more sense considering how closed The Hero Chapter was but if you never watched Yuuki Yuuna this will go over your head. No go for newbies 7/10 for Yuuki Yuuna seniors is the bottom line here.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back